PDA

View Full Version : Alpha trim cylindars

DonziChick
01-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Ok everyone. I need some help. Dad and I were working on the boat this weekend and we think that the trim cylindars are shot. When you try to lower the drive, you can hear it working, but the drive will not lower. How would I go about checking to see if they are ruined, or is there someplace that would do that for me?

gcarter
01-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Remove the hydraulic lines from them and see it the drive will come down on its own. You can also remove the cylinders from the drive and see if the rods can be forced in. They can be rebuilt, but the cylinders need to be in good condition to begin with. :banghead:
I had to replace mine with some new ones I found on eBay for about $300.00.

MOP
01-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Is this something that just happened or has the boat been sitting awhile?

DonziChick
01-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Its been sitting for awhile and it flooded a bit. I talked to Rootsy tonight and we're hoping that its the valve in the pump maybe... I have an email telling me how to check it. I hope that's all it is

MOP
02-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Its been sitting for awhile and it flooded a bit. I talked to Rootsy tonight and we're hoping that its the valve in the pump maybe... I have an email telling me how to check it. I hope that's all it is

I have something you should try, before tearing into things. Disconnect the trim rams from the back of the drive, being as it is up it may take a bit of lifting of the drive to slide the rams off the pin. When you get them loose try operating the trim if the rams move OK the pivots and pins are binding, this is very common and many spend unnecessary dollars fixing what is not broke. a good lubing of the drive pivots and the trim pivot pins many times makes things like new.

Phil

DonziChick
02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll let you know when I try it out. (the boat isn't at the house, its at a friend's shop so it will probably be this weekend before I can start staring at it again)