PDA

View Full Version : Totally Original 18 in Washington State

EricG
01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
The boat isn't mine, but I looked at it today, and it's an amazing boat! I told the owner I'd mention it here for him, hoping it may go to a good home.

It's a 260 Merc/888 (alpha) drive.
Hull# 747
The original Interior in perfect condition.

It's advertised as an '81, but the HIN says it's an '82. I believe that's because he bought it new in '81. He kept it on a lift at his home on Lake Washington until he moved off the lake in 1990, and the boat hasn't been used much since then. It's got 427 original hours, and it doesn't even look that used. It's totally unmolested, right down to the fact that the vents still have the original screens. The only un-original piece is the fresh-water cooling system. The stripe is slightly "foggy", but a light buffing would bring it back.

If you are looking for an original 18, I doubt you will find another one this clean.

He is asking $13,000 for it.

Here's the trader ad. Link (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/5/77664155.htm)

I have absolutely no ties to the boat, or nothing to gain by listing it here, I just though he was a really nice guy with a beautiful boat that needs to go to someone who appreciates it.

EG

EricG
01-30-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm curious as to what makes it look like an '83? Not questioning, just trying to learn...?

And, I forgot to mention, I finally found an 18 with more floatation than mine :biggrin: :biggrin:

-EG

EricG
01-31-2005, 12:24 AM
LOL, Hull number, nothing visible :) :)

Ya know, after I posted that I started thinking about it and figured it out...but I really though you had some deep insights there at first.

"Hmmm...it must be that they didn't use the red pinstripes until '83 :lookaroun "
Or
"It must be because the Merc 260 didn't come out until the '83 model year..."

Here's the full HIN...

-EG...proud owner of the second most boyant 18 in Washington :boat:

Zudnic
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm wondering if this is still for sale. Exactly what I'm looking and I do not have to travel far for it, very rare thing in these neck of the woods!

Thanx.

p.s.

the ad expired or I'd be on the phone running to the bank!

EricG
05-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm not positive it sold...but my dad followed it to garage sale in Marysville about a month ago. He didn't get a chance to talk to the guy pulling it...so we don't know - but based on the fact that the ad is expired, it must have sold. Hopefully the new owner will show up here eventually....

Exactly what I'm looking and I do not have to travel far for it, very rare thing in these neck of the woods! As someone who had to go to Houston to get his...I know what you mean! :yes:

Good luck with the hunt. There are classics out here that show up from time to time...and we need more registry folks here :biggrin.:

EG

Zudnic
05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
It was worth the ask. Within the price and age range I want (will go older). I'm heading towards Houston over the weekend, than So. Cal and maybe Phoenix as well. Just started my search in the last couple of days and set to look in those area's anyways.

Lenny
05-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Zudnic, be patient. That will pay off. It is HARD to get one looking from here.

I would look into Tidbarts' boat if I was you since this lead looks dead.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33611&page=2&pp=15

This has been referred to as a "VERY NICE BOAT" on more than one occasion. And it is already running a Bravo. Spend MORE now rather than later and go enjoy it. ;)

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6856

Zudnic
05-03-2005, 07:59 PM
I saw the ad, was thinking of bumping. From the pics looks like a sweet deal. I wanted older for playing in the winter, drive change would be tops on the list! This is newer than I want, easy explanation, want a daily driver/easy winter project. But the price is right, I'm seriously thinking about it more so after you pointed it out! Aiding my growing addiction! :beer:

Side note, little offtopic: My sales manager lives near La Conner Washington, wants something he can take over to Victoria to visit his parents, good ocean performance, but is also a good ski boat. I'm trying to talk him into a Donzi, so I'll email him this ad. Good recomendation or streching a bit?

Lenny
05-03-2005, 08:22 PM
The 18 will pass the water on most ANY day from La Conner to here through the Haro Strait with little trouble. BUT, if your sales manager is packing an even "tiny bit" gun shy passenger, that will be it 50% of the time. He needs (most probably) to look into a 22. There are about 3 in the Seattle area that surface for air every couple of years or so.

I would do it in my 18 any day of the week, ... but I am not "normal" :D

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11332

About a boat, seriously, you start with drive changes, transom/stringer rebuilds, powerplant, and ALL THE REST, you will pass Tidbarts' numbers (whatever they are) by a mile. No question and working on your boat "for a winter" (and then it ends up being two or three) will make you tear your hair out.

Buy a "beater" after you have a "runner" IMO

:)

pmreed
05-03-2005, 08:31 PM
Bob's rubbed it out and waxed it since then too :biggrin.: !

Phil

Zudnic
05-03-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree with your logic on "projects". I sometimes get ADD; the International Scout sitting in my yard is a good reminder of that! At least my neighbor works for a boat dealer (merc tech) and work's for beer (he's ok for a big Fountain fan)! So winter projects would be slow and sped up with help.

Sales manager only passenger is a 12 year old who's into skiing. Wife hates their Bayliner forget how big cabin cruiser and the runabout bought for mainly sons water sports is under powered can't pull up a kid on one ski. Thinking the 18 would have a smaller wake. I survived learning to ski behind our 19 Silverline (ok really a Larson, just in case any die hard Silverline fans are reading), that thing had a pretty nice sized wake! When your ski punk those things are important. Can tell I'm in sales! :biggrin:

O.K. you might wanna shoot me, but I would like to have that Silverline today, just for the memories (secret wish).

like the middle one shown here: http://www.silverlineboats.org/1982-01.jpg

Yeah, I'm into old school!