PDA

View Full Version : "The Lifting of the Deck"

Scott Pearson
04-28-2001, 08:32 PM
Ok all you local guys. Im putting this deck back on on Saturday May 5th. If any of you guys have the time I could sure use the help. I know you Donzi guys will be a little more careful then some of my friends.

Im looking to do this thing around Noon if the weather is good.

(NJ)Scott

GeneD
04-28-2001, 11:02 PM
It took 8 burly guys to do my deck.
Get lots of beer, and invite everyone you know.
Take pictures, it will be a laugh riot.
My lawyer helped out with mine, suit, tie, and all!

------------------
GeneD
Melbourne, Florida

AGUESS
04-30-2001, 02:30 PM
Hi Scott,

Lets try again. This is what I did to put the deck back on my 18.

1. I made two jigs out of 2x4.

Front jig was shaped like an A. Followed the outline of the deck. Put a cross member where the Gas tank filler hole is. Used Plywood as reinforcement at all corners.

Put an I bolt through cross member that would fit through gas filler hole.

Back Jig went into engine compart. Fit against the seat back and came out about halfway through the engine compartment. This looked like a big rectangle. Note that you also need to build up the area next to the seat back that curves or is rounded to distribute the weight onto the 2x4.

Put another I bolt in. Connected two come-a-longs(spelling) and then lifted the deck up to my roof rafters a little at a time.

Rolled in the hull and let the deck back down a little at a time to keep in level.

Took two guys total. No stress on the deck, no stress on me. Life was good.

Deck did not fit. Had gotten out of line about 1/2 inch. Bad day. Had to sit & stand on the deck to flaten it out, put ratchet straps on it and pulled it from back to front a little at a time to get the nose to close, also screwed it in at the same time starting at the transom.

Good luck. let me know how it goes.

Alex.

[This message has been edited by AGUESS (edited 04-30-2001).]

Looped
04-30-2001, 02:48 PM
Scott,
I would have been up for a little road trip, but the Wife will be down in Newport, RI for the weekend. I will be doing the Mr. Mom thing with my 19 month old Daughter all weekend.

I still have not met one of the Donzi board members yet. Looks like the Lake Winni Poker Run I’ll miss too do to a Friends wedding. I guess I can’t win. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/mad.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/mad.gif http://www.donzi.net/ubb/mad.gif

Craig

Scott Pearson
04-30-2001, 08:58 PM
Thanks guys. I have a bunch of bodys comming over so I should be set. Alex, I know what you mean. I really dont have the time to put all that together. Lake George is 47 days away. I'm beating myself up with the wiring. Its gotta be perfect! I will let you all know how I make out.

(NJ)Scott

AGUESS
05-07-2001, 03:41 PM
Scott, How did it go?

Alex.

Scott Pearson
05-08-2001, 07:02 AM
Alex,

It went great! Jamie from PA came out and helped along with about 7 of my friends. It went on better then I expected. Last night I had to fit the very front of the bow better. Shaved a little off the under side and it went back to the orig holes. Looks great! I'm surprised after 2 years being off that it wasnt all outta wack.

I will be putting the rub rail on this week and then onto the little things.

(NJ)Scott

AGUESS
05-08-2001, 11:13 AM
Scott, glad to hear all went well. Question for you. When you say you shaved a little off the underside, was this on the nose?

When I put my deck back on, the nose would not close all the way down. About 1/2 inch away from being back to original. I was afraid to push any more because it was starting to crack around the edge.

I was thinking that the rub rail would disguise this, but I hate the idea of it not being right ( a virgo thing). Have thought about poping the deck again to try and fix. Any thoughts are welcome.

On another question. Can you give me details on the fire system you have installed. Sounds like the best way to do it and gives complete coverage. Where did you buy it, cost, contact info, etc.

Thanks again.

Alex.

Scott Pearson
05-09-2001, 07:40 AM
Alex,
Yes it was the very front of the bow. I took a dremel and ground a little glass off the inside of the bow front. A litte on the deck and hull. I did some glass work there and I think it was a little to thick. Once I did that it went down where it was the first time before I took it apart. I did all the rub rail and it came out GREAT!

My fire system was from SAFECRAFT in CA.

It was around $400.00

(NJ)Scott