PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Paint Ideas!!!!

roadking
01-29-2005, 01:27 PM
Unfortunately my boatel in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore is closing in April. I probably will have to sell my 22ZX since it would be a sin to paint the bottom. Anyone know of anything special that I could do to the boat to keep it in the water without it damaging the boat. Also would be interested in trading on sometrhing that I could keep in the water. Any ideas?

gcarter
01-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Any boat w/conventional shaft/strut set up made of SST, bronze, Monel will hold up very well. There are epoxy/primer /paint systems available that are effective with annual maintenance.
Just curious, but can't you find a garage, or warehouse, if not a marina? :confused:

Fish boy
01-29-2005, 03:46 PM
hydor-hoist or one of those floating boat lifts? I think there was a thread at some point about using these where there was a lack of davit or high and dry space.

bronso
01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey Roadking,
I don't know if you have to keep it near the harbor or not. If not, you may want to think about Sunset Harbor in Middle River. First Class Facility. Designed and built by Woody J. Brand new building with sprinkler system, state of the art forklift and pretty good mechanics too. Keeping my 29ZF there.

Cuda
01-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Is a trailer not an option?

fasttrucker
01-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Lots of marinas in M.D. dont paint dont sell :rolleyes:

f_inscreenname
02-01-2005, 07:55 AM
They do make a clear bottom paint, then there is boat lifts (the kind that is for a single boat in a slip) and also there is many marinas on the east and west side that I am sure a lot cheaper then the Inner Harbor. Unless your boat is a marina queen get outside the Harbor. Rock creek has a couple and they are only 3 to 5 miles away. Also 1 or 2 on Marley creek that are even closer.

roadking
02-01-2005, 09:18 AM
the problem is that I live about 100 yards from the marina and I probably wouldn't have purchased the boat 2 years ago if the boatel wasn't there. I know the boat would be slower if I were to paint the bottom, but I'm wondering if the boat would be worth anything if I were to paint it. Can the bottom paint be removed without hurting the boat?

undertaker
02-01-2005, 09:46 AM
When you paint the bottom of a performance boat resale value goes way down :boggled: I would not paint the bottom I would either find another High & Dry or lift slip. Just my opinion :)

If you are set on leaving the boat in the water the baltimore area is mostly fresh water with a little salt mixed in at times you could always pull the boat out every couple of weeks and clean the bottom. Good luck in your decision.

Undertaker :pimp:

f_inscreenname
02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't think so. Removal would sure hurt the gel coat. If you put it on a trailer there is a public ramp at the harbor. I think it is off of Boston st. If you are looking for another boat-tell type you will have to travel. Would painting your bottom keep it close to home? In a slip? If so think about a lift that mounts to the pylons in a slip. You see them all over the bay. If you are looking for a deal on one check eBay.
“If you are set on leaving the boat in the water the Baltimore area is mostly fresh water with a little salt mixed in at times you could always pull the boat out every couple of weeks and clean the bottom.”

Sometime yes sometimes no. I have seen boats sit in the water for two week that were covered with green leafy stuff. Scrubbing a boat bottom every two week dose not sound like fun to me. If the bottom line is paint the bottom or be done with boating I would paint it.

Cuda
02-01-2005, 10:11 AM
If you have any option, don't paint the bottom. It basically ruins a boat. Buy a cheap trailer if you don't have to pull it far.