PDA

View Full Version : Finally, I get to ask a performance question.

Donzigo
01-29-2005, 12:01 PM
So, the bolts on the bottom of both outdrive housings are bad, and water is oozing through that assembly into the engine room. Not good news, might be a bad transom, which means both engines come out and I'm thinking about selling the 2 454's with 300 hours on them, for $2,000 to $2,500 each, whatever. (Anybody interested, let me know, there's no rust on either of them).

So, if I replace the engines with 2 496-375 HP or get the 425HP, does that mean that my Bravo Ones won't be able to take the horsepower. The guys down at Mastrys at the boat show yesterday said I'd have to have the new Bravo XP drives, forged gears, etc. etc. Then again, others say the Bravos will hold up, unless I run them WFO all the time.

Anybody care to give an opinion. I'd really appreciate it.

Trueser
01-29-2005, 01:01 PM
Thats exactly where the water got into the transom on the 22. And on the 29 there was some damage on the bottom of the drive holes.

Once you have the motors out you can drill a hole in the transom under the drives and see if you run into moist wood.

I feel your pain.

Good luck!

BUIZILLA
01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
R, keep your drives and go with the 496-375 FWC setup. You've got me curious about your *leakage*, lemme know what you find, and where, and why...

JH

cigarette30
01-29-2005, 05:48 PM
The Bravo 1's will be fine providing you take it easy on when getting on a plane, and re-entry's. This is proven on many early 500 E.F.I's (475 hp), granted the new 496 H.O. has the heavier drive... just take it easy, it will be fine. All seem to fail if you abuse them enough.

Donzigo
01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Scot, not a problem. I wanted to field a couple of questions about this issue with you. You are always one of my first calls on issues like this. (Ask the guy who's seen it all, etc.)

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I think the water is coming in through either the bolt area & rotten wood, etc. Could be another place.

Since I just got through spending $8,000 for new upholstry, (the two couchs that Premier did for me are in the pool room waiting for a warm day to install), and it's pure white, it's definitely coning out, if it's time for the engines to come out. I'll put it on the trailer week after next, when my guy has made room in his facility. LOL - he said: "Richard, I wouldn't out it outside, promise, I know you too well." Ha.

They just put 2 375HP in a Baja with Bravos, no problem so far. I've made m mind up that if the engines come out, two new ones will go back in. I hope the Bravos will be ok. I'm real careful not to load the drives and only jump a wake when CUDA & Debbie are next to me, so I'll keep it down. I spoke to Bob, of Bob's Machine Shop, and he said they would be glad to paint it for me. Oh, if I need XPs later on, will they use the same housing as the Bravos?

MadPoodle, I'm getting prices for a bobtail 375HP of $11,400 and $13,600 for the 425HP. That's several hundred miles drive, though. Do you think I could get those prices or better anywhere in Miami? Do you have a contact?

Trueser, yeah it's painful. I thought that a new windsheild and I'm done with the Z-33.

Oh well, if it has tires or propellers, or wears a dress, you've got expensive problems; and never fixed for long, right?

The prices I've gotten for the XP were with a package, seemed like around $3,500 extra. hard to figure.

Mr X
01-29-2005, 10:21 PM
I would definatly check the transom for water intrusion when you pull the drives off.

Donzigo
01-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Ted, I'm pretty sure you are right.

gcarter
01-29-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear this story Richard.
Too bad it wasn't those $1.50 gaskets.

:wavey:

Trueser
01-29-2005, 10:35 PM
This is a close up of the 29. Notice the center stringer was wet on the bottom. And the hole we drilled to the lower left was also wet. At that point he only charged me $200.00 more for the transom.

Not sure if this will help you but It's worth a look.

The other reason mine went bad was water was running from the cockpit and the top of the stringer behind the fuel tank was cracked on the top. The water ran all the way back to the transom from the fuel tank.... Ouch

Good Luck

Fish boy
01-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Oh well, if it has tires or propellers, or wears a dress, you've got expensive problems; and never fixed for long, right?

LOL, aint that the truth. SOrry to hear about problems with big-D Richard.

fish

Donzigo
01-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Fish, Big D will go in to King Marine the Monday after Superbowl. We'll see where it takes us.

dang, and I thought I was through with boat problems........right, again............when donkeys fly.

Cuda
01-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Yes Richard, I was going to point out that the bravo's would be fine IF you leave the props in the water. I see you did a preemptive strike above. I think Victory had the 496 Mag for under $9k each.