PDA

View Full Version : Stereos

Reedy
01-28-2005, 02:45 PM
What CD players and wattage are working best for 16 to 18 foot classics?
Not just working, but kicking ass.

Fish boy
01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
What CD players and wattage are working best for 16 to 18 foot classics?
Not just working, but kicking ass.

Hey Reedy,
welcome to the donzi registry. Don't have a 16-18 myself, but I am sure Mattyboy will be along soon... he can probably give you as good an answer as you will find anywhere on your question, you just have to speak realy loudly when you ask. LOL

Good luck,

fish

txtaz
01-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Het Reedy, Welcome. What part of Texas are you in? There are several of us around the state.
I have an 18 with a marine CD player (Don't waste your money, I should have gone with Alpine) and Pyle 1000 watt marine amp, way cool. I also have a JVC 200 watt self contained sub. It all fits under the deck, but make sure you epoxy the screws in the cases and double up on the mounting screws to hold it up.
Others have gone BIG power with big subs, double batteries. I wanted something mild and not take too much space, besides you can't really hear much at 60 unless your in Randy or Mark's boat from what I understand. I've seen Marks it has a nice system. I think some have used forward firing Bazzookas (sp) all the way in the bow (good luck mounting).
You can do a search on the site for stereos. There have been several dicussions on it.
Again welcome.
Wes

Reedy
01-28-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm in north Texas. We met at the PK Rendezvous, I was in the red 16 classic. I don't want to change any thing on the boat cosmetically, but I do want to hear it when I'm hanging out swimming in a cove, or busting across open water. I was thinking 400 watts with speakers that can sit on the rear deck when anchored, and stashed up in the bow when cruising?
Het Reedy, Welcome. What part of Texas are you in? There are several of us around the state.
I have an 18 with a marine CD player (Don't waste your money, I should have gone with Alpine) and Pyle 1000 watt marine amp, way cool. I also have a JVC 200 watt self contained sub. It all fits under the deck, but make sure you epoxy the screws in the cases and double up on the mounting screws to hold it up.
Others have gone BIG power with big subs, double batteries. I wanted something mild and not take too much space, besides you can't really hear much at 60 unless your in Randy or Mark's boat from what I understand. I've seen Marks it has a nice system. I think some have used forward firing Bazzookas (sp) all the way in the bow (good luck mounting).
You can do a search on the site for stereos. There have been several dicussions on it.
Again welcome.
Wes

yeller
01-29-2005, 03:31 AM
I don't want to change any thing on the boat cosmetically, but I do want to hear it when I'm hanging out swimming in a cove, or busting across open water. I was thinking 400 watts with speakers that can sit on the rear deck when anchored, and stashed up in the bow when cruising?
Well I'm an old school guy where they used to rate amps at RMS power. If your a kid:cartman: (to me) and are talking 400watts peak power, that isn't going to be close to enough power to hear when "busting across open water." I run about 400watts RMS into 2-6x9's rear, 2-8" round front and a 1-12 sub. It's great when "hanging out swimming in a cove", but it sounds like crap when moving. That said, who wants to listen to tunes when your running the rough stuff anyway. The motor is all I want to hear :hyper:

yeller
01-29-2005, 03:38 AM
Oh yea, like 'txtaz' said, do not waste money on marine stereo equipment. You'll pay twice the price just to have a white stereo.

txtaz
01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Hey Mark, Glad to see you posting. Jennifer and I enjoyed meeting you and your wife at PK3. I have lots of pics of your boat from that weekend. HarborMaster might still have some 2 disk sets available. If not let me know and I'll send a set up to you.
Yeller is right, 400 watts is not enough. 1200 watts is not enough in my boat at speed. You can hear it, but there is no fidelity due to the wind noise. Another idea for you is to get a decent boom box, put some single side sticky rubber on the bottom and put on the bow for swimming the cove. That way you can save the extra money for the trim you want. LOL
If you want to go all out, give me a call. (210-681-3557) I can give you the details of what it takes. I plan on adding another sub and amp this year plus a second battery and isolator. If you go all out, you will need to cut some holes. One for the head unit and for the speakers. I don't know if a 16 has cutouts for 5.25 speakers but my 18 did.
IF you REALLY REALLY want to go way out, IM Randy, I understand he has one of the loudest systems on the board.
Again welcome to the board, ask all the questions you want. This is one great group of people.
Wes

Marlin275
01-29-2005, 12:08 PM
When the engine is off this gets the dancin on the Donzi.
The wind noise gets louder than the engine at speed.
Will never run the starter battery down.

Reedy
01-31-2005, 09:08 AM
Wes, as funny as it sounds the boom box would be fine in the coves, and just beefing up the on board system would be cheaper that way. From what I learned at a few retail car stereo places Saturday, you either spend $1500-2000 to do it right, or $ 600 to do it OK. I am interested in the PK3 disk. let me know how I can get them. September will be here before you know it........
Hey Mark, Glad to see you posting. Jennifer and I enjoyed meeting you and your wife at PK3. I have lots of pics of your boat from that weekend. HarborMaster might still have some 2 disk sets available. If not let me know and I'll send a set up to you.
Yeller is right, 400 watts is not enough. 1200 watts is not enough in my boat at speed. You can hear it, but there is no fidelity due to the wind noise. Another idea for you is to get a decent boom box, put some single side sticky rubber on the bottom and put on the bow for swimming the cove. That way you can save the extra money for the trim you want. LOL
If you want to go all out, give me a call. (210-681-3557) I can give you the details of what it takes. I plan on adding another sub and amp this year plus a second battery and isolator. If you go all out, you will need to cut some holes. One for the head unit and for the speakers. I don't know if a 16 has cutouts for 5.25 speakers but my 18 did.
IF you REALLY REALLY want to go way out, IM Randy, I understand he has one of the loudest systems on the board.
Again welcome to the board, ask all the questions you want. This is one great group of people.
Wes

txtaz
01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Mark, you have mail.
Wes

DonziNUTS
01-31-2005, 11:07 AM
To be able to listen while running involves special placement of the speakers for listening. This invovles temp. placing and going for rides. Not like speaker placement in a car! The disadvantage is keeping the elements away from the amps and speakers from water or corrosion be able to hear. The difference in marine and regular car audio is inside the circuit for corrosion. They say the amps are sealed...but I never found the difference visualy! I have been around car audio scene for 15 years (in&out). If you really want to get info I have a 16 & 18 and do some research and testing in where the best position and mounting for tunes! Will take awhile since we got more freakin snow up! :angryfire Anyway please email or post I will help out in anyway!!

Rock on!

Mike