PDA

View Full Version : Mounted the tank this week

Jamesbon
01-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Like the title says, I finished foaming in the tank yesterday. I hesitated to post these pics cuz what you see is the tank before the last round of foam and trimming. After finishing pouring the final coat of foam, it cured above the tank looking like a bunch of fat marshmallows. Well, as of yesterday, I trimmed the foam even with the top of the tank and am ready to devise a couple "straps" to hold her down for the thrashings I will deliver to finished product.

Need your advice. I'm thinking two pieces of angle aluminum mounted between the stringers over the top of the tank should hold her from popping up in some heavy gulf coast action. Whadda ya think?

"The method to my maddness."
I set the empty fuel cell between the bulkheads, then poured enough foam to support the very bottom of the "V" shaped tank. Next, I had to fill the tank with about 45 gallons of water so she could expand and take her natural shape. Once filled with water, I poured the rest of the foam to lock her in good.

...here's the pics, comment if you will....long day at the Tropicana boat show, my E&J and diet Sprite are calling me....

PS, Thanks to Ted for providing the "solution of all solutions" for tank mounting and DonziGo for the beers @ the boat show tonight :)

........more to follow......

Mr X
01-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Nate,
that looks awesome!! You do great work!
Keep up the good work!

boatnut
01-27-2005, 09:27 PM
wow, I really appreciate all the details on these tank installations as we are planning to do "the job" this year in our '69 -------- but, in all my years of auto mechanic work I never heard of anyone purposely filling a gas tank with water, are you sure you can get it all out??

gcarter
01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Nate, I like the idea of angles. I used angles to support my cockpit i.e. to keep it off the stringers and give considerable increase in support area. With judicious design you could accomplish both goals. See http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703e
I personally like the idea of filling the tank, very clever.

:wavey:

MOP
01-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Nate is the next thing after the tank your engine bay?

Jamesbon
01-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Thanks Ted! Your advice is always taken to heart and priceless.

boatnut, I am truely happy you will benefit from my ventures. I love to post these things here in an effort to pass on the knowledge I have gained from the members of the Registry.

"are you sure you can get it all out??" There's not much I can't do, so yes, I will get it all out. Plan to siphon out what I can, then continuously blow air throught the tank till all water has evaporated.

I had to fill the nylon tank to expand her to her "full" shape. (these synthetic tanks expand when filled to capacity with liquid.) Figured water was safer and cheaper $$ than high octane gas, especially when working with a bunch of other highly volitale chemicals.

Jamesbon
01-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks George. Let me know if you have any other questions along the way. "Angle" is always potent stuff :)

MOP,
Why do you ask? What do you have in mind? The answer is yes, in a round about way. Next I plan to prep and paint the inside of the hull, then mount the extension box & ASD drive, then cut the hole in the transom and let the fun begin!!!!

MOP
01-27-2005, 10:28 PM
l noticed the bulkhead right where the stringer drops, thats is where mine is going to be also. Mine is 40 gal as that is all the room I had behind the exsisting tank, I "think" Donzi has gone to a 55 gal aft mounted belly tank on the 22's now.

Phil

Jamesbon
01-27-2005, 10:34 PM
MOP, now i understand. yes, aft of the rear bulkhead is the engine bay. As far as i know, I have the same tank Donzi uses for the 22. It's a nylon, "v" shaped 52 gallon unit.

MOP
01-27-2005, 10:39 PM
Think I will put the batteries against the transom, with the mouse motor I need to get all I can back there. Besides the other egg beater is still in my garage that still stirs some thoughts.

Phil

penbroke
01-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Nice job! Is the plastic around the tank to prevent the foam from bonding with the tank so you can remove it?

I like the idea of the alum. angle between the stringers. Should hold the tank down and help stabilize the stringers at the same time. I would put then in line with the knee braces you already have (or as close as you can). I had angle brackets welded to the top of my tank that I thru-bolted to the stringers.

Frank :umbrella:

Footloose
01-28-2005, 08:45 AM
nice work! Make sure the foam never gets wet ...I have seen so many aluminum tanks pitted and holed by moist foam surrounding them....has to stay dry!!!

Keep the pictures coming and good luck with the project

Jamesbon
01-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Poodle,
What's my time frame on your bet? I assume I'd have to use at least 1/4" thick strap??

Penbroke,
Yes, I wrapped the tank in plastic so it can be removed easily in the future.

Footloose & Poodle,
I will seal the foam with resin.

gcarter
01-28-2005, 01:57 PM
The 2" X 2" X 1/4" angle I'm using is anodized and supplied to me by a local fab shop that manufacture rocket launchers, hard top frames, rails etc. So I'm not overly concerned about corrosion. Anyone that needs some, just email me. The pieces you see in the post above cost $40.00 with all the cuts.

Jamesbon
01-28-2005, 03:54 PM
You're on. $20.00 says I make it this year with my GT :)

onesubdrvr
01-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Deal :) :)

I'm looking forward to losing this bet :eek: :)
Isn't it amazing what kinds of incentives some of us need!!

Wayne

gcarter
01-28-2005, 06:03 PM
G,
salt will go through anodize, don't let em kid ya.. Just takes longer..

Of course you're right Scott, it will. And w/o the angles the stringers will eventually go through the cockpit floor (I know mine had a good start in that direction).
But I think the location of the angles precludes much water contact.