PDA

View Full Version : Thunder Bolt IV ??

MOP
01-27-2005, 07:04 PM
I have been researching TB IV the only info does not have the total for Tempest 300 pack listed just says HP, standard packs will only give 24 degrees total advance. Does anyone know the total for the Tempest pack? I will be running the stock ignition at least during break in then may throw a Jacobs setup on that's in the garage. Chart below gives specs on the packs.

Phil

Rootsy
01-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Phil,

in dennis moore's sbc perf book he has a graph of advance rates and totals for each merc ignition module. He does have a typo and has 2 modules mislabeled though.

When i modified my motor i went with a 350 mag ignition module. I would almost bet that is what your tempest used and you will most likely want to use.

my copy of his book is in my desk at work. If you want me to photocopy and fax to you i can do that tomorrow. provide me with your fax #

generally as a last note, merc uses a lot of the V6 modules in their Hi-perf stuff... run as much initial as you can and still get the motor to spin easily when hot.. make up the rest in distributor advance...

Root

MOP
01-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Jamie I have alway tried to keep the initial down around 10-12 then modify the weights to increase the top, problem is that the distributer has no advance its all in the pack. I have thought of going to something like a Accel billet or Mallory, then I can fool with with the curve. I would like to get input where the timing should come in, I am pretty sure I will run 30-32 for top.

Jamie I'll shoot you a PM!

Phil

MOP
01-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks Guys, I hope some of the 6 pack guys chime in. From what I have read the pack limits the top timing based on RPM, I have a few of the packs and can glomb more if needed. Would be great to get a handle on it, I like the tbolt also, it fires my Jacobs coil just fine blows an 1-1/4" blue flame.

Phil

Rootsy
01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
here ya go kids... also included is the procedure to convert your mallory or prestolite to electronic ignition from points...

JR - hope i'm not being too "technical" :rolleyes:

MOP
01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Bless you my son! I see that no one around my neck of the woods knows the real dope, this clears up a lot of issues.
I owe you a wobbly evening at the 1000 Islands!

MOP