PDA

View Full Version : I give up

Cuda
01-27-2005, 06:11 PM
I'm never going to get around to fixing the Minx myself before Mt Dora, so tomorrow, I'm having Debbie trailer it back to Clearwater when she goes to pick up her son for the weekend. I'm taking it to Performance Plus Marine, and having it done! Then, when it's done, I'll have her pull the Formula down there too, and bring back the Minx. I broke a starter on the 302, and I think a piece of it is wedged in the flywheel. I tried turning it with a socket today, and it wouldn't budge in either direction. That means the engine must come out, which I'm not equiped or inclined to do myself. Nick at PPM had done the exact same thing on the other engine for the previous owner, so he is familiar with the boat. I guess that 10:1 compression is killing the starters. This starter was less than a year old. :confused:

Fish boy
01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
cuda,
sorry to hear the minx is acting up, but glad to hear you are going to get rid of the aggravation portion. hopefully she will run as good as she looks when you pick her up, and the only thing we will have to worry about at dora is finding a place to refill the coolers :)

I am in the area, let me know if you need anything over here.

fish

MOP
01-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Cuda why not drop the initial timing down to 8-10 degrees, you can filr the stop tabs on the advance weights to get your top timing back where you like it. It is more the initial timing rather then compression thats making it kick back.

Phil

gcarter
01-27-2005, 07:13 PM
I hope for your sake it doesn't take too long.

Cuda
01-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Cuda why not drop the initial timing down to 8-10 degrees, you can filr the stop tabs on the advance weights to get your top timing back where you like it. It is more the initial timing rather then compression thats making it kick back.

Phil
Phil, on the Formula, the timing is already turned back quite a bit.

Cuda
01-27-2005, 07:33 PM
I hope for your sake it doesn't take too long.
George, last time I took a boat to him, it was to change the oil cooling lines on the 302. I took it to him late on a Wednesday, he called me before noon on Thursday to come pick it up. Good price too.

How is yours coming?

gcarter
01-27-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm finishing the wiring and all the little details to start it for the first time, maybe next week.

Cuda
01-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm finishing the wiring and all the little details to start it for the first time, maybe next week.

Cool! I hope it all goes well.

Footloose
01-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Cuda - bad deal man! Sorry to see the problems on both machines at the same time - annoying! I like your get-her-done attitude however. Some things are not worht doing yourself if ill equipped (I have learned something over the last year redoing a boat). Feel your pain though - while working every free moment on my project boat my poor donzi has sat idle in the salt water...now I'm looking at a weekend of bottom cleaning and painting, new zincs, and troubleshooting an outboard trim motor problem before I can even put her up seriously for sale -------never thought I'd have two of these things.

good weekend!

Fish boy
01-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Cuda - bad deal man! Sorry to see the problems on both machines at the same time - annoying! I like your get-her-done attitude however. Some things are not worht doing yourself if ill equipped (I have learned something over the last year redoing a boat). Feel your pain though - while working every free moment on my project boat my poor donzi has sat idle in the salt water...now I'm looking at a weekend of bottom cleaning and painting, new zincs, and troubleshooting an outboard trim motor problem before I can even put her up seriously for sale -------never thought I'd have two of these things.

good weekend!

footloose, what donzi do you have and what is your outboard trim motor problem/what OB motor ya running?

fish

yeller
01-29-2005, 03:49 AM
Hey Cuda, It's hard to believe that 10:1 compression is killing your starter(s). I've hardly ever had a car/boat/truck with less than 10:1 and I've never seen a starter problem. Maybe if you were running 12:1 or up it may slow the starter down, but to actually break parts, I'd be looking a other possibilities....my 2cents

Cuda
01-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Hey Cuda, It's hard to believe that 10:1 compression is killing your starter(s). I've hardly ever had a car/boat/truck with less than 10:1 and I've never seen a starter problem. Maybe if you were running 12:1 or up it may slow the starter down, but to actually break parts, I'd be looking a other possibilities....my 2cents

I wouldn't think so either, but it has happened once on each engine.

yeller
01-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I still can't see the compression as being the problem. I have to go along the lines of what MOP was getting at and the motors are kicking back shearing the gears. If it's not the timing, I'd get your guy at PPM to check into other possibilities causing kick back (which I'm sure he will).

Keep us posted on the outcome.

baronmarine
01-29-2005, 07:41 PM
if i had cuda,s money i would burn mine. just kidding cuda sorry to hear you are having problems.

todd

Cuda
01-29-2005, 09:06 PM
C,
When my MSD started showing off, it would smoke the caps in a few hours. First sign was the starter 'dragging", then it finally kicked back so bad it split my starter. Replaced the MSD, problems went away. You might want to check your caps and wires closely.

I don't have MSD, but it's possible to have the same problem with standard ignition isn't it?

yeller
03-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey Cuda...what was the final diagnosis by your mechanic on the Minx?

Cuda
03-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Still waiting to hear. I think they just started on it Friday, at least that's the first time they called and went over the list of stuff I wanted done that I gave them.

MOP
03-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Real good chance MP hit on it, most marine ignition is a bit hotter then auto stuff it is important to not only have good wires but also to route them so the cannot cross fire and kick back. Even very good quality wires can cross fire on damp days.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
03-06-2005, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't think so either, but it has happened once on each engine.

what doyou mean by it happened once on each engine ? yours? and the previous owners? or the formula and the minxs? some times shimming is required to acheive the correct clearences for the starter gear to the fly wheel not all on engines but on sum. if it was striking the fly wheel as it was engaing it could have brinelled the starter gear or the fly wheel so the starter gear wasn't coming back out and as the motor fired and it sheard the starter gear. but if it happend to two seperate engines and two seperate boats i would say it was something you did. so any way you have a proffesional working on it so hopefully he will be able to diagnos it. but from your statement it could take up to a year before you would actually Know. that could be prety expensive if you had to do it every year. soooo :smash: any way what did the mechanic come up with?

Cuda
03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
what doyou mean by it happened once on each engine ? yours? and the previous owners? or the formula and the minxs? some times shimming is required to acheive the correct clearences for the starter gear to the fly wheel not all on engines but on sum. if it was striking the fly wheel as it was engaing it could have brinelled the starter gear or the fly wheel so the starter gear wasn't coming back out and as the motor fired and it sheard the starter gear. but if it happend to two seperate engines and two seperate boats i would say it was something you did. so any way you have a proffesional working on it so hopefully he will be able to diagnos it. but from your statement it could take up to a year before you would actually Know. that could be prety expensive if you had to do it every year. soooo :smash: any way what did the mechanic come up with?
I was speaking of the Formula. I was wrong though, I spoke to the previous owner, and he told me it was the same engine that did it before.

Cuda
03-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I just got off the phone after calling the mech. I asked them if they lost my boat. :rolleyes: He says they are going to change three lifters tomorrow, then I'm having them repaint the deck stripe. I told him I'd like to have it by this weekend, and next week is drop dead date for me to make Mt Dora. I will be one bitter sob if it's not ready by then.

BUIZILLA
03-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I hope it didn't eat 3 cam lobes...

JH :garfield:

Cuda
03-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I hope it didn't eat 3 cam lobes...

JH :garfield:

I don't think so. The problem is the valves aren't closing. I had that problem from day one. Faulty lifters (brand new), I'm hoping.

joseph m. hahnl
03-09-2005, 07:17 PM
I don't think so. The problem is the valves aren't closing. I had that problem from day one. Faulty lifters (brand new), I'm hoping.

the lifters open the valves, the springs close them. are they new valves? if they are used you could have burnt exhaust valves or bent valves

Cuda
03-09-2005, 07:24 PM
the lifters open the valves, the springs close them. are they new valves? if they are used you could have burnt exhaust valves or bent valves
Everything is new.