PDA

View Full Version : ANother Wax/Buff/Polish Question

Fish boy
01-25-2005, 09:39 AM
OK, been reading through old posts, but might have a little different problem and looking for advice before I make it worse. am cleaning up the transom on the fishboat getting ready to re-rig it. I took the old jackplate off after about 10 years, and the gellcoat is stained (yellow box in the middle of the transom).

I tried buffing. No luck. Tried wet sanding starting in the lower left corner. It appears that the stain is getting bigger. DOes this mean that I am out of gellcoat? I have wet sanded late 80's donzi's before with amazing results and know there is a ton of gell there, but I am puzzled.

If it is stained all the way through (is it possible), is there any sort of bleach or other way to remove the stain, or is repaint the only option.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mr X
01-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Jody,
muratic acid will make it look new, and not harm the gel-coat in any way.
You will need good rubber gloves, eye protection and a running hose ready to rinse it off.
Keep it away from any metal parts.

jg480
01-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I have used a product called FSR on my fountain CC to remove rust stains, it worked great and is available at West Marine. Its active ingredient is also a mild acid. When using FSR or muratic acid on gelcoat be sure to wax the area well. The acid will make the surface more porous and more susceptible to holding dirt. The wax will seal the surface and help prevent this.

Trueser
01-25-2005, 04:07 PM
I agree with the acid or the FSR. First you get her clean Then I would wet sand with 400 and work it up to 2000 grit. Then buff her out with 3m 6025.

I would also check those transom holes and see if they are wet. If they are then thats a hole new question. If there dry I would seal them up good with glass.

Good luck.

Can we see the rest of the boat?

marcdups
01-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Fish, what seems to be happening is that you are bringing back the original gel colour, I would try acid before wet sanding the whole hull

John W
01-25-2005, 05:24 PM
OK, been reading through old posts, but might have a little different problem and looking for advice before I make it worse. am cleaning up the transom on the fishboat getting ready to re-rig it. I took the old jackplate off after about 10 years, and the gellcoat is stained (yellow box in the middle of the transom).

I tried buffing. No luck. Tried wet sanding starting in the lower left corner. It appears that the stain is getting bigger. DOes this mean that I am out of gellcoat? I have wet sanded late 80's donzi's before with amazing results and know there is a ton of gell there, but I am puzzled.

If it is stained all the way through (is it possible), is there any sort of bleach or other way to remove the stain, or is repaint the only option.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Try FLITZ Its german and is amazing on everything,
JW

Fish boy
01-26-2005, 08:35 AM
thanks everyone for your advice, I sure appreciate it.

cig, do you dilute the muriatic acid or use it straight? how long do you let it sit?

jg480, what is FSR and where can you get it?

marcdups, I agree and wish I would have thought of it, or asking the board. I was planning on cleaning up the transome whle the motor is off and prepared to wetsand if buffing did not work. When I came across the stain, I just tried the sand paper thinking it was just surface but needed more cutting power than the compound could give.

JohnW isnt flitz a metal polish? Does it work on fiberglass too?

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it.

fish

John W
01-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Flitz,
I bought a 1# can online and yes it is a metal polish, but I tried some on a badly oxidized boat next to my rig. It bought the spot I did up to a mirror shine very very easily. It polishes any thing. If you are in FL buy it at the upcoming boatshows and check it out , you will be amazed.
It also polished up the wifes copper clad pots and pans.
JW

Mr X
01-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Fish,
I use it straight......it only needs about 5-10 seconds.
You will see the stain dissappear instantly.
Then hose it off.
I is so fast I have the hose running first......also a good idea if you get any on you.....you will know it in 1-2 seconds!!
Be carefull and use eye protection and rubber gloves!
Also hold your breath and dont breath the fumes!!
Fun Job..... :frown:

Fish boy
01-27-2005, 07:30 AM
thanks John and Ted, I will try them both today.

fish

DonziChick
01-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Let me know how that works. I have some stains along the bottom of my boat that I'll need a little extra work to get out.

Fish boy
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
decided to go all out and use muriatic acid. undiluted, directly aplied to the stain, No change at all. tried second application, no change at all. bubbled on the ground and began creating a sinkhole, but the stain is undaunted.

I have not heard of anything stronger than muriatic acid to do something like this, but does anyone have any suggestions of something stronger that will not tear up my boat?

thanks in advance,

fish

ps, tried CLR a few hours before the acid- nothing.

Mr X
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
Unreal!
It must not be from this planet!

Try that other fix we talked about.......
That'el geter done!
Look nice too!

gcarter
01-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Fish, when I was cleaning/repairing my transom, I noticed some "ghost" stains that were more or less in the shape of droplets. I tried sanding, polishing, various chemical cleaners. All had no impact. I finally tried muriatic and that had no effect also. I finally came to the conclusion it was a petroleum based stain (oil or grease) that had penetrated the gel. It seemed that nothing short of sanding off the gel and re-gelling would work.
BTW, it's still there. :bawling:

Fish boy
01-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Fish, when I was cleaning/repairing my transom, I noticed some "ghost" stains that were more or less in the shape of droplets. I tried sanding, polishing, various chemical cleaners. All had no impact. I finally tried muriatic and that had no effect also. I finally came to the conclusion it was a petroleum based stain (oil or grease) that had penetrated the gel. It seemed that nothing short of sanding off the gel and re-gelling would work.
BTW, it's still there. :bawling:

By George, I think you've got it!!! Sorry, I could not resist ;) seriously, given the proximity to the outboard, generally running extra oil in my gas (added petroleum exhaust) , I bet the exhaust gets in the water, the water gets between the mounting plate and hull, and voila, a stain like you described. Only think that make sense so that I ahve heard. thanks.

Cig, I will give it a whirl and let ya know how it works. THanks for thinking out of the box, I appreciate the advice.