PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard 2005

DONZI
01-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Its ground zero here.http://www1.whdh.com/weather/ :stan:
The store shelves are becoming bare.The Gas stations are running on empty.Its an exciting time here once again in the N.East with the Patriots game also.
GO PATS !

Jack Frost
01-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roadtrip se
01-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Inventory includes:

Lots of cold weather gear, including dead animal skull cap.

:kyle: :kyle:

Tobogan, snow shoes, cross country skis, down hill skis with great places to use them just minutes from the front door.
Hot tub at 101 degrees to work the aches out when we over do it.

Fully stocked refrigerator, liquor cabinet, and kegger in the garage.

:spit: :spit:

JD tractor to open the driveway up and harass the native critters.

And finally, a big screen HDTV to watch the playoffs and Netflix DVDs when we are ready to slow down.

Jack, you can't handle the truth brother!
:biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Todd
"Do adults get school days?"

Rootsy
01-22-2005, 10:37 AM
DAMMIT i actually need to break out a stocking cap i guess... wonder if 4WD still works? bout 10 inches in the yard now and still falling heavily :umbrella:

Patti
01-22-2005, 11:26 AM
It just started here in NYC about an hour or so ago and it's already sticking..they're calling for upwards of 20-22 inches here..should be fun! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

My son is ready to break out the shovel already..kids here make big bucks shoveling http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

mattyboy
01-22-2005, 12:13 PM
just !%^*&ing beautiful??? :rolleyes: :mad:
:splat:

MOP
01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
I have about 5" so far and about 500' foot visabilty, just got in from shopping roads are getting real slick which was clearly demonstrated by two SUV's in the ditch LOL!

gcarter
01-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Inventory includes:

Lots of cold weather gear, including dead animal skull cap.

:kyle: :kyle:

Tobogan, snow shoes, cross country skis, down hill skis with great places to use them just minutes from the front door.
Hot tub at 101 degrees to work the aches out when we over do it.

Fully stocked refrigerator, liquor cabinet, and kegger in the garage.

:spit: :spit:

JD tractor to open the driveway up and harass the native critters.

And finally, a big screen HDTV to watch the playoffs and Netflix DVDs when we are ready to slow down.

Jack, you can't handle the truth brother!
:biggrin.: :biggrin.:

Todd
"Do adults get school days?"
Todd, it sounds like you got it under control.
Just wait till the power goes off.........

Still remembering hurricanes!!!!!!!!!

mattyboy
01-22-2005, 04:40 PM
new jersey under state of emergency I assume Ny will follow suit shortly, snow mobiles running all over my street, gotta love this stuff :jestera:

Kirk
01-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Here on the shoreline of Connecticut we are to get upto 25' of snow. Not looking forward to cleanup...the truck stays outside and the "Sporter" stays in the barn.

boxy
01-22-2005, 05:27 PM
Feels Like: -31° Dewpoint: -24°
Barometer: 1020 mb and steady Wind: NE 26 kph
Humidity: 66% Sunrise: 7:33 am
Visibility: 2.41 km Sunset: 4:56 pm

Looks like we are ducking most of the snow, visibility is still good, and the barometer is steady.
Remember lift with your knees ..... or make friends with the guy with the flashing blue light on his truck.... :kyle:

boxy
01-22-2005, 05:41 PM
So is the water already starting to warm back up, or will it drop a few more degrees before starting back up.

Oh did I forget .... Son of a B$%@& ......... :D :D

ToonaFish
01-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Feels Like: -31°

How does anyone know what -31° feels like???

gcarter
01-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Celine, I've experienced -35 while skiing in Colorado. When it's that cold, the bottoms of your feet get cold even in well insulated boots. A car won't roll down hill on it's own because the axle grease is so stiff, never mind starting it.

ToonaFish
01-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Celine, I've experienced -35 while skiing in Colorado. When it's that cold, the bottoms of your feet get cold even in well insulated boots. A car won't roll down hill on it's own because the axle grease is so stiff, never mind starting it.

I think I'll take your word for it!

roadtrip se
01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Lived in the dark for three days in November.

Not easy when you depend on a well for water and live in the boonies like we do.

The natural gas 30KW generator with 200AMP auto transfer switch is on order and has been for quite some time. If you hurricane ravaged folks down there in FLA hadn't spiked the demand for gen-sets, ours would be installed by now!

:kaioken: :kaioken: :kaioken:

Any ways, yes, fingers are crossed for now that our friends at DTE can keep the juice coming, but soon it won't matter!

:wavey: :wavey:

Todd

ToonaFish
01-22-2005, 07:06 PM
What's this nonsense about Philly having an outdoor stadium? How can they have proper tailgating under blizzard conditions?

Bunches,

Celene 'someone is pulling my leg'

Lenny
01-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Todd, I have a well and am on acreage as well. Trick to it is to fill the bath-tub with water when the wind starts blowing and the trees start snapping. Then at least, you can grab a couple gallons from the tub and do the serious business in the toilet. A 5KW gen would fix all your immediate troubles.

as for this, ...
I called Lenny, he's on the way over to help ya get the truck in 4WD by MadPoodle, well, all I can say is, ... I will find you again, and then there will be retribution :D Probably in Key West or 'Tucky or 1000.

I wonder if Scott B. posts recall notices about FORDs' or does he just come into the light when he can slag a Chevy.... :confused:

:D ...seats bolted in, sitting in the boat in the garage, making VROOOM noises... :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Rootsy
01-22-2005, 07:17 PM

i remember this week my last year at college, up in the tundra ya know... the windchill reached -62 F and the governor called the president and MADE THEM cancel classes.. for the 3 days prior windchills were in the -50's and classes were "optional"... i opted for staying INSIDE... ambient was around -35 the whole week... Lk Superior and her winds coming out of canuck land really make things kinda frigid... i don't think the truck even attempted to turn over for the month of February...

JR - why yes i know what frostbite feels like

TuxedoPk
01-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Matty- 11 degrees and only 4" on my side of the mountain so far... what's it like on your side?

Time to buy a whole house humidifier- indoor humidity is only 15%.

Patti
01-22-2005, 07:35 PM
We're up to 9 inches here in Staten Island..and we have a long ways to go still http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif

ToonaFish
01-22-2005, 07:43 PM
(Not going to comment on nine inches in NY, not going to comment on nine inches in NY, not going...)

Gosh, Patti, wish I could see what you've got coming down...

Patti
01-22-2005, 07:53 PM
:spit: :rlol:

I'd much rather be having your weather :yes:

I'm dreading what it's gonna be like by the morning..I know it'll be a mess though :tongue:

Lenny
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
TUXEDO PK !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch that humidity. Seriously. If you have hardwood floors, (3/4" or so) and you dry it out even further, you will shrink it more and "change" what you have.

I have a customer here, that through her "dust free anality" and " free radical" conspiracy thinking took her house to 10%.

ALL of her edge grain maple flooring buckled and this was a massive house. They had an Hvac to boot. Humidity has its' place. Some of which is in your home. :yes:

Don't dry out your home.

boxy
01-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Like I was telling Roadtrip this afternoon, you know it's cold when you take a breath, hold it your mouth for a second just to warm it up before you transfer it to your lungs... :kyle:

Ranman
01-22-2005, 09:41 PM
TUXEDO PK !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Watch that humidity. Seriously. If you have hardwood floors, (3/4" or so) and you dry it out even further, you will shrink it more and "change" what you have.

I have a customer here, that through her "dust free anality" and " free radical" conspiracy thinking took her house to 10%.

ALL of her edge grain maple flooring buckled and this was a massive house. They had an Hvac to boot. Humidity has its' place. Some of which is in your home. :yes:

Don't dry out your home.

Interesting. My house was built in 1955 and still has the original hardwood floors. No buckling or any other issues in the first 47 years so I guess we were lucky ;) . First humififier was installed on the new furnace in 2002 (first furnace made it 47 years too :smile: ). I was told to lower the humidity as the temp drops because too much moisture inside when it is very cold outside is more of a problem. THe impression I got was to have higher humidity in the house during the dry winter, but not have a larve variance between inside and outside. You're seeming to suggest the opposite??? Am I missing something?

boxy
01-22-2005, 09:53 PM
In an older home you can draw enough fresh air in from outside, which helps keep your humidty stable. New airtight houses need to balance the humidty, because they don't have the ability to bring outside air in except through an air exchanger.....

TuxedoPk
01-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Lenny- Thanks for the heads up. I haven't moved any good furniture into the house while I've got construction going on but I hadn't thought about the floors.. just my own comfort. I'm going to try to increase the humidity by putting out some pots of water tonight.

Randy- There are a few problems when you have low humidity. First is the drying out of your skin, cracking of furniture, and as Lenny pointed out floors. In addition we are able to turn down the heat and feel comfortable when there is a higher degree of humidity in the air thus saving on our heating bills. From what I've read it appears that 35-45% humiditiy is the target range.

Boxy- You are correct about older houses breathing better. Even so, the humidity in my 1886 house has dropped from 30% to 15% this past week (currently at 18%).

MOP
01-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Been having fun!
Just got done giving my snow blower a work out, we have about 12-14" of real heavy stuff. Went in to warm up and hear water running I find the back outside tap had frozen and was gushing water in the yard, more fun! Run down to the basement to turn the tap off "NOT" it had died, so two more trips out through the frozen tundra for wrenches and a valve body to replace the busted one that had lost its washer, had to drain the house down get the old vavle out and fish the washer out of the pipe then put in the new valve body. Bonnie wanted to call a plumber! Ah Yaa in the middle of a blizzard!!! Now with fresh warm Rum I sit here smiling a little easier!!

MOP

BUIZILLA
01-23-2005, 07:56 AM
Been having fun!
Just got done giving my snow blower a work out, we have about 12-14" of real heavy stuff. MOP geez Phil, your out at 1:30am blowin' the frickin' driveway? wtf dude? you hadta be somewhere at 2:30am or something?? you've lost it, you've absolutely lost it.. :embarasse
JH

mattyboy
01-23-2005, 09:56 AM
just starting to stop snowing now, a plane at jfk runs off the runway during the storm last night from POLAR AIR CARGO :rolleyes: what the pilot is not used to snow???? LOL

we got around 12-14 inches, to bad the doc has me on light duty gonna have to watch the family dig out ;) hehehe

MOP
01-23-2005, 10:09 AM
geez Phil, your out at 1:30am blowin' the frickin' driveway? wtf dude? you hadta be somewhere at 2:30am or something?? you've lost it, you've absolutely lost it..
JH

Jim I have a puppy of a snow blower I have to get out when ever the snow get to about foot, once ove 16-18" it just can't do the job. I am to friggen old to shovel this stuff! Besides what a lovely Rum hang over I have this AM!

Phil

Patti
01-23-2005, 10:09 AM
We have about 20 inches here in Staten Island.

It's still snowing and drifting..but my son and nephew have been out since 8am or so shoveling to make some money. It's supposed to end by later this afternoon, but I don't think we'll get much more..I think the worst is over http://www.donzi.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif

boxy
01-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow...you guys got hammered. I think that storm started in the US midwest, I guess the Artic high we have sitting on us right now kept most of the snow away, only a couple of inches last night, and it's clear, sunny, and cold today...

Lenny
01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
For Randy and Tux.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/basics/2004-02-01-home-humidity_x.htm

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Ideal_relative_humidity_in_woodworking_plants.html

Rootsy
01-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Phil,

make sure you replace that thing with a frost-free hydrant... and don't leave a hose hooked up when it becomes time to freeze...

bout 10 - 12 inches here... blew around hard yesterday so now we have 6 foot snow drifts... today is sunny and chilly...

that 3 foot drift at the end of the driveway from the snow plow tried to stop the ford... it failed..

JR

mattyboy
01-23-2005, 01:39 PM
got love this white stuff eh??

MOP
01-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Jamie the part that froze was the fitting going to the bird watering basin we have for them to have water all winter tap was fine, have it cut off and drained from inside. Poor birdies will be without for awhile, it was the first time it froze in over ten years as water runs through it constantly.
Spent about 3-1/2 hours digging and snow blowing the joint clean, sheared two pins and bent an awger but got it all patched to finish up. We have been real lucky until this one and spring is technicly only 6 weeks away, better get hustling on our projects after we dig them out!

Phil

BUIZILLA
01-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I talked to a friend of mine yesterday in Aurora, MN... yup, way up the peninsula. They said it was -34 at the time. They were happy about that.... it was warming up from -54 a few days before... it hasn't been warmer than -25 for over a week there. :eek!: :splat: I didn't have the gall to tell them I went out in the boat yesterday.. :biggrin.:

JH

DONZI
01-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Wow...you guys got hammered. I think that storm started in the US midwest, I guess the Artic high we have sitting on us right now kept most of the snow away, only a couple of inches last night, and it's clear, sunny, and cold today...
We sure did !
http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2005/01/24/news/news/news01.txt
:eek: