PDA

View Full Version : Props (1989 Z33 Crossbow)

Donzi Power
04-28-2001, 09:52 AM
I just replaced the props on my 1989 Z33 Crossbow (Powered with OMC King Cobras) and unfortunately, I didn’t have good results. I have a couple of questions, but here’s a little background first…

The boat had the original OMC Viper props (14.25 X 21+) but they had been reconditioned 4 times prior to me buying the boat and the diameter was down to almost 13 inches. As a result, the engines ran too fast at WOT and I was being robbed of performance but they never “cavitated”.

Over the winter, I got a deal on a pair of Edge Props by Michigan Steel – Stainless and Vented (14.25 X 22) and was hopeful they would solve my performance issues.
Here is my problem. When I power her up, I have to bring her up to speed extremely slowly to avoid having the props “spin” and over-revving. Being a layman, I’m assuming the props are cavitating. I thought maybe the props had bad hubs, but I’ve checked them out and the hubs are fine. By the way, The drives are in all the way.

One more thing, The boat has never been bottom painted and I waxed the bottom before launching her this spring … Someone told me that using some waxes in salt water creates a lot of air and bubbles under the hull, which could be causing my cavitation problems. Anyone heard of this? Or is it an old wives tale?

Does anyone have advice? Or any ideas?

If you own a Z33, what props are you using? Are you happy with them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

Inevitable
05-07-2001, 12:55 PM
I had a Z-29 with 454 mags, and was spinning a pair of 14.25 X 25 Rapture props at 4900RPM when trimmed. For what it is worth.

RickR
05-07-2001, 01:35 PM
Do your props have vent holes in the front part of the hub?
Are you using the correct thrust bearing (how much gap is there between the gearcase and the prop)?
Has the X dimension been modified?

Genuine Trouble (18 Classic w/420HP) uses a OMC Raker. No slip while planing, holds well in turns, and good top end.

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>