PDA

View Full Version : Yippee, a lifejacket of quality that I could afford

Lenny
01-21-2005, 01:28 PM
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/37/6b/75_12_sb.JPG

I needed one more in the boat for Deneen, so I was going to spend a couple hundred on another Mustang Air, this is better IMO :yes: :D and the same money. Actually $165 bucks.

a Medium to boot. Thank you E-Bay

Kirk
01-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Lenny,

I got mine off ebay too.

One question....Lenny you may not have to conform to Coast Guard regulations but lifeline vests dont have the CG Approval rating. Has anyone been stopped and fined?

KJ

Lenny
01-21-2005, 07:26 PM
No, that doesn't happen like that here. I am required to have a DOT (Department of Transport) approved life jacket in the boat, one for each person. BUT, they can even be the $20 seat cushions for all they care. CG approval doesn't matter here and we don't recognize the USCG label anyway on our waters. Wearing them is entirely up to you. So I will still have to have a "junker" in the bow, probably a cushion for beachs and stuff for each person on board, (normally only two of us tho.)

At least this way I feel safer wearing this one, especially when out alone, and whether or not it is OK for this Country is irrelevant, as I KNOW it surpasses what I need and I will still have an "approved cushion" somewhere in the forward locker to appeaze the local Officers. :D

I have never been stopped in any boat in 36 years of water play, about 15 years of that living on it and playing in boats daily. I am sure they are out there somewhere.

catch 22
01-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Lenny, Where on E-Bay did you find the life jacket? :wavey:

Lenny
01-21-2005, 10:59 PM
" lifeline life jacket" ...

search in "titles and descriptions", "all categories" ...

Life Jacket can also be one word. You can also drop the "Lifeline" part as Lifeline is sometimes two words :rolleyes:

There were a few. This was the first "smaller" one I have seen. I know they fit BIG, so even a medium for me might be pushing it, but I just can't bring myself to buy a "small" and still maintain any self-worth :D

Fish boy
01-22-2005, 06:47 AM
got mine on ebay too.

JimG
01-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Here's what we use...

Fish boy
01-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Here's what we use...

do you have any more info on those jackets Jim? Look snice in the pic.

JimG
01-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Sure do!

http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/Catalog_Stearns_75.html

Look for the SAR (Search and Rescue) model#4185.

Extremely good quality. I wear mine a lot when conditions warrant it. Price so low it looks like a misprint. You won't find these at West Marine. They are mainly sold to law enforcement according to the lady I talked to at Stearns when I was researching them. Very comfortable, too. Not as cool as a Lifeline, but I like the safety features. Same impact protection as a standard Lifeline, (read: none), but very thickly padded so there has to be some protection there..

Jim

Fish boy
01-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks Jim, wish I would have seen this before buying my lifeline. THinking of getting another for a spare though, price is really good, leg straps, and impact rating up to 100 mph- cant beat that.

thanks,

fish