PDA

View Full Version : Brown Sugar in Iraq - An Update

AquaV
01-21-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey everyone,

It's Aqua here! I hope everyone is doing well. Just thought I would give a tad bit of an entertaining update about the wonderful world of Iraq! It's hard to believe it's been two months since I left the States. Time actually goes by pretty quickly.

I am finally getting settled into my job and into my hooch (living container)... this place is a freak show. I mean an honest to God Peyton Place. One reason I left my job in Texas was because of all the drama... but this is a different world of drama. People love to gossip here more than the high school cheerleaders. I tend to be known as the sassy Texas gal who always wears a smile. It's an absolutely amazing alternate world. My boss (the project manager) is about to leave back home to Cali, so I just recently met the new boss. Things will be changing again already... I feel both ways about it since I just got settled in and now I have to change all over. But change is good, keeps life interesting. Ha, it's what got me here, right?

Attacks are pretty old school now. But still have that flair of excitement. You can usually hear the Apaches gunfire if someone was shooting off mortars. It's pretty crazy. And the sound of a mortar, there's something oddly soothing about it. I know, you probably think I am crazy... but its that sound of it going through the air, kinda like a firework before it bursts into an array of sparks.

Sometimes they land close, sometimes far... but its always changing, its always exciting. It's always testing you. It really is an amazing concept. Have I mentioned that I really like it here? Though, I do think it is safer than driving on Houston streets. ha!

I get to go around to tons of places within the bases that I visit. I get to go into some clearance areas, and go to meetings with top generals and lieutenants and other folks like that. I have never served in the military so its kinda like learning two different worlds all at the same time. Military life in wartime and civilian life in wartime. A pretty neat twist on life. I am still sexually harassing almost everyone I meet and they all seem to welcome the sick and twisted humor. After all, this place has enough drama of its own to be too serious about what goes on.

Though, I gotta say, that's another thing. You find out really what everyone is made of when the attacks start happening, and the closer they happen, the more obvious it becomes. People that act like such macho folks and are always shouting directions sometimes start to freak at the most inappropriate times. They lose it, I mean absolutely lose it. Everyone was asking me if I was scared, (they still check on me everytime) and I always have a smile on my face and that seems to confuse people. I think too many people get stuck in the rut of 12 hours a day/ 7 days a week. So I am starting to do some planning, and I think when spring comes around, we are going to have some pool parties planned. Go team!!!

Okay, wow, just reread this, and it sounds kinda random, didn't mean to make it sound that way, just very truthful!! So anyways, I was running around taking pictures of some of our yards and storage and facilities the other day. In one yard, I had to wear a hardhat, so they gave me some chick's hardhat. Apparently, she was an African American female (I assume) due to the fact that on one side her hardhat said "Brown Sugar" and on the other side it said "Sweet Mocha".. sooo, I figured this was a perfect photo op! (Below you will see the fun!! ) And yes, I am wearing a pinstripe suit! Just because you are in Iraq, doesn't mean you have to look like it! I was voted the best dressed by my coworkers! YEA!! Needless to say, everyone thinks I am a super prissy when they first meet me. Soooo, to make a long ass story short....

here's my damned picture, like it or love it. ha.

Team Jefe
01-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Looking Good Baby Girl :biggrin.:

McGary911
01-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Aqua, sounds like you're doing pretty well. I don't know what kind of work you're doing, but if you stop by the police academy in Baghdad, tell my old man (John McGary) his son said hello. He runs 1 of the 4 academies in Baghdad. His is the one that got car bombed 2 days ago...killed a bunch of civilians and Iraqi police.
Funny you mention that about the mortars. There was a week when my dad said they didn't hear a single mortar, and very few gunshots. He said people were 3 times as edgy in the silence......

Be safe over there.....

Nice pic by the way!

Dr. Dan
01-21-2005, 06:27 PM
:bonk: Say what ya want....your attitude is definitely your sexiest characteristic....I just love you! Get your butt back here safe and sound...keep us posted....the world is a better place with smiles and eyes like yours. :biggrin.:

Red Bikini Team of Iraq...I can see it now!

Be good, rest assure we are all abusing Jeff in your absence...he is after all "El Jefe' "

All Our Donzi Love

The Atlantic Coast Crew

Doc ;)

I am posting some pics so you can show them our Donzi Freak Show ... and why we are affected!

Air 22
01-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey their kiddo...how's life in da sand? :rolleyes: You see any CAMEL TOE in dem parts?:eek: :D Nice hat by the way :)
Look forward to your stories.....
Be SAFE!!! :bighug:

Capt Shocker :)

TMANN
01-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Looking good Sweet Mocha... ;) Will you be back to enjoy the summer with us or will you be enjoying the 110-degree desert weather there? :bawling: Anyways you look like your having fun so thats good. Be safe.

TMANN

goatee
01-21-2005, 11:07 PM
hey av,
good to hear from you. and i know just what you mean!!!!!
i have driven in huston before..
whats that song from fleetwood mac?

NEVER GOING BACK AGAIN!

txtaz
01-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey AV, Good to hear from you. Glad you are showing them Texans aint skeered. "A mortar, is that all you got? Boy you better head back home to your Mommy and ask for something bigger."
Stay safe over there and make it back in time for some get togethers.
Wes and Jenn