PDA

View Full Version : 496 /HO vs 496

rrleggat
01-19-2005, 02:33 PM
What are the top speeds people have had. Ive heard that 496 is mid to high 60's and 496/HO is low to mid 70's. I am looking at both but I am 26 and on somewhat of a budget

ChromeGorilla
01-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Are you shopping new or used? Do a search. Actually, I see you have a thread goin with a similar discussion. Just keep that one going if you have more questions. All i can say is shop around, then shop arond some more. You will find what you need/want eventually. I was shopping for 5 months till i decided to order a new 22. Do your homework. And yes those speeds are correct 67-68 ish with mag....low to mid 70's with HO

mattyboy
01-19-2005, 04:01 PM
bigger is always better and the ho will help resale

cads03
01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
There is different internals with the HO as well. It is quite a bit more money, but it is not because of the 50 h.p. necessarily. The internals are better in the HO, I don't remember the details completely though, so I can't elaborate much.

boxy
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
bigger is always better and the ho will help resale

The ho always helps resale ..... :D :D :D

JimG
01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Interesting info on this subject...

Thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94324&highlight=496+mag)

OffshorePerformance
01-19-2005, 08:43 PM
I have a 496 mag in my 22 classic and I've had it reading 72 on the speedo (not gps), and with my hand held have gotton 70 gps, on a cool day with a light chop to air out the hull. I got a great deal on my 496 and thats why I opted for it over the H.O.

Also, The donzi performance sheet only lists a 2 mph increase with the HO over the mag. With the H.O. your paying 4,000 more green for a different cam and computer programing, for a meer 2 mph increase. I would say go with the mag, and get an imco 2 inch shorty which I would estimate a solid 73-75 mph.

OffshorePerformance
01-19-2005, 08:58 PM
And an upgraded drive, and freshwater cooling...my bad, forgot about the upgraded drive, but I do believe the 496 mag has freshwater cooling

ChromeGorilla
01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Both have closed cooling...look at the spec sheets. plus you can see the heat exchanger in the pic for both motors.
But it's more than 2mph. I've seen 75 on 2 different hand held gps's. Granted thats ridin on the edge and not how I go runnin to my destination every weekend, but none the less...75.
We're talking top end, thats 5mph differance to the 70mph. Granted thats nice clean water, and really gettin on it. Add shorty and your probably good for 77.
But to each their own. Ask yourself, does the last few MPH matter that much to ya? Only you can decide. Some are happy with the mag, other like the HO. Either way you'll most likely enjoy it.
One thng you really gotta like with both these motors is they both do it with 87 octane...which is nice.
And as far a price diffrences, I've seeen a lot of numbers thrown around. 4k-7k. Regardless what the msrp difference is, everything is negotiable. I was ready to buy a 04 w/ 496 mag, and found another dealer and got, what ended up a 05, w/ 496HO for SAME price. Mark up on boats is stupid crazy. Lots of room to play. But you wont get a killer deal from a dealer that has them and gets msrp everytime for them. thats why you gotta shop.
Like I said in the other thread saw a 03 used and 05 new for same price. I saw left over 03's for more than new 04's when shopping last summer. And when I brought it up to the dealer with the 03, he wouldnt budge on the price, so I moved on.
Ok I'm a gonna shut up now....gl and get your self a boat before the summer!!!!

rrleggat
01-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Whats the best prop to get on a 496 mag to achieve all around best performer etc. speed/ride/acceleration/comfort/rpm

RickSE
01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Don't forget you also get twin ram tabs with the HO and as mentioned a Bravo-1X drive.

Donzi's suggested retail for the HO option is $5,572.

All 22's should be leaving the factory with 25P Mirage+ props. This prop is good for speed but not the best for handling and comfort, probably one of the reasons why 22's come standard with trim tabs. Most guys here seem to lean towards the Hydro 4-blade or Turbo 3-blade. It may be difficult though to get Donzi to put anything but a Merc. prop on a boat coming out of the factory, dealer might switch it for you though.