PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Donzi 22' Classic

rrleggat
01-17-2005, 07:29 PM
Looking for a new 2004 22' Classic. Anyone know what a good price to pay for one is and how much moving from the 496 to the 496 HO is worth?
Thanks
Rob

ChromeGorilla
01-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Rob, prices can vary greatly. Found this out last summer shopping for mine. Ended up with a killer deal from local dealer.

As far a price ranges...check this out

03 USED w/ 496 HO $49,995 (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/7/73096577.htm)

05 w/ 496HO BRAND NEW $49,995 (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/2/43668792.htm)

Take your time a search your azz off. I did and I truly feel I benefitted from it. One suggestion, when I was shopping I found Nelems Marine in Jasper Alabama pretty much had the best deals. Robert Nelem also has an excellent reputation. Many on the boards speak highly of him and he was nothing but extremely helpfull when I was shopping. CHeck out ww.boattraderonline.com to get a feel for the market.

Good Luck!

MOP
01-17-2005, 09:37 PM
2004 0n Ebay right now, bid is at $30,000 ! Suppose to be brand new left over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31271&item=4519895941&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Phil

John W
01-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Looking for a new 2004 22' Classic. Anyone know what a good price to pay for one is and how much moving from the 496 to the 496 HO is worth?
Thanks
Rob
I just bought a 22 classic 2004 with the 496 HO. There is one in Ohio, in the Boat trader under preffered power and Marine. He is asking 49995.00 plus another 4k for the trailer. . Email Bobby and Tellem JW sent ya.
And for what its worth today when I got home there was a box from Donzi on the porch containing 6 nice dock lines with the donzi Logo. Customer appreciation Iguess. The second link in the above reply is the dealer I have bought two boats from.
Good luck.
JW :smileybo:

ChromeGorilla
01-17-2005, 10:27 PM
The ebay link is a boat I was in negotiations with the salesman. We came to the price of 43,500 if I recall correctly.I asked for some more pics by email and when I got them i noticed the motor was not an HO as opposed to what was said over the phone on more than 1 occasion. :rolleyes: Still not a bad price though.

rrleggat
01-17-2005, 11:33 PM
The ebay link is a boat I was in negotiations with the salesman. We came to the price of 43,500 if I recall correctly.I asked for some more pics by email and when I got them i noticed the motor was not an HO as opposed to what was said over the phone on more than 1 occasion. :rolleyes: Still not a bad price though.
How much does going from the 496 to the 496 HO cost when pricing out the boat?

rrleggat
01-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Ya I looked at that boat but not sure if I would rather have a HO

John W
01-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Ya I looked at that boat but not sure if I would rather have a HO
Dude,
You want the HO ITS BAD TO THE BONE!!!!
JW

davids94
01-18-2005, 08:22 AM
depends what the extra 50 horses is worth to ya, Read this article and it may persuade you to opt out of the HO ...
http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2002tests/jan1.php

Lenny
01-18-2005, 09:14 AM
The HP500 is a little shy of Teds' and Todds' and Dans' I believe. Must be the IMCO shorty helping out on their boats. I can also say that I never felt uncomfortable in Todds' boat at any speed and it seems to handle all the "power" quite nicely.

I wouldn't shy away from an HO if I could pay for it. You can always slow down but you can't speed up.

undertaker
01-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Been in Dr. Dans boat is very very stable go for the HO if you can afford it you will not be sorry.

If I can sell my 33ZX I will be purchasing a 22 classic and it will have the HO in it for sure. :D

Undertaker :wavey:

ChromeGorilla
01-18-2005, 10:36 AM
That article is total bullchit. I dont think they really drove it hard. I see that same speed,GPS, in my 496HO.

ChromeGorilla
01-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Also another thing to consider is the HO comes with a better drive (standard) and comes with closed cooling (standard) which is very nice.

Dr. Dan
01-18-2005, 11:38 AM
:banghead: Scott echoes my & others sentiments exactly on that Article. I can only speak from my own experience, and not Ted or Todds...or even Rick S who owns the last SE....out in Arizona.

I found that with the King Cobra Drive...the stability was enhanced, the 25 pitch Turbo Prop gave me alot of Stern Lift with no Chine Walk at all.....I think the larger stable King Cobra...enhances this characteristic.

This coming season I will be running a 27 Turbo...and will see what the results are with that....but overall, I have been very impressed with the ability of the Hull, the Stable Characteristic of the Boats handling at Speeds over 70 mph...and mostly...the Mid Range Punch.....which is really where the useable Torque is most commonly exercised.

I guess I will make an obvious statement....We all know from experience, that Donzis as a rule are very much Drivers Boats, you must be proactive, you must be able to continuously adjust your speed, drive and trim controls as conditions require.

We all have witnessed inexperience behind the wheel of all of these style boats..... it takes alot of Seat Time to get each Hull Dialed in....I don't think that a one off run by the Powerboat Crew...is enough time to accurately dial in the Boat...especially an SE....

It takes skill experience...and alot of patience to safely drive any boat.....I think the article was premature, I think the Drives are critical in overall performance of the 22 Classic Hull...the Shorter the Drive, the more Squirrelly it will be in wakes and bigger water...but the faster it will be in the Flatter Waters...

Like anything it is a trade off....IMO the 496 HO is the Best Performing Stock Motor, Merc has introduced...that will consistently give speeds over 72 MPH in the 22 Classic....the fact that some owners are seeing Mid 70's is incredible....most of the Radical Powered Boats are only within 10 MPH of that....considering the cost benefit to get that 10 mph (or more ) it is substantial....as a result making the
496 HO a very good turnkey value....and that is saying alot!

Anyone can cobble together a Monster Blown or Cammed Motor, and shatter common achieved Speeds....but to be able to buy a warranted...Merc based power plant that will see mid 70's at will....all day long... with no hassles...believe me ...that is saying something.

Most of the time ya cruise at 60 or below anyway...Buy the HO...you won't regret it.....from what I have seen....there are alot of bargains out there on these boats...with or with out the HO.

Good Luck

Doc of Careless Bantering :bonk:

davids94
01-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Just to clarify, I am by no means bashing the 22 with the HO or otherwise. I love the boat and hope to have one some day. I just wanted to offer up the article because it’s from a reputable source and something to consider. I Hope I didn’t come across negatively. Enjoy your Donzis boys!

ChromeGorilla
01-19-2005, 08:41 AM
Oops..I was mistaken. Both the 496 mag and the 496ho come with closed cooling standard.

MOP
01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Here nearly three years later the darn PBM article is still popping up, most of us have read that thing a few times. It is very evident that the tester was not a knowledgeable driver, me being an X boat wrench have gotten to play with quite a few other peoples toys. Any single engine mono propped V hull even with just an average higher powered engine will torque up during acceleration and torque down if the throttle is chopped to quick. My thoughts when I read the article the first time was this blow hard never drove a performance boat before, shame they don't make an eraser big enough to disappear it.

RickSE
01-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I have one of the 500EFI SE boats and spent last summer learning how to drive it. This after I spending several years driving around in a mild 18C. I hate to admit it but the Powerboat Mag. article is fairly correct. My SE does everything the author describes.

"When our test driver hammered the throttle in acceleration drills, propeller torque caused the boat to roll up on its right side." Yes my boat will do this; propeller torque is pretty substantial. You just can't accelerate this boat hard without at least one tab down. :banghead:

"Predictably, the boat also exhibited a hard pull during sudden deceleration." Yep, also does this, just don't decelerate too fast. :boggled:

"The keel is a little too round and soft for this kind of torque and power," said our lead test driver. "It makes the boat 'rolly.' It's a handful."" Right again it's a handful, but the faster you go the better it performs. :D

"At low speeds, the 22 Classic Special Edition tended to porpoise mildly. "It's very trim sensitive, and yet you can't use trim to correct the porpoise when you're going slow,"" They hit this one dead on, again just drive faster and it goes away or put the tabs down. I really think this is due to the Mirage+ prop since most say the Hydro and Turbo make it go away. :propeller

"And if you mess up a little bit with the tabs in the middle and higher speeds, it puts you in an uncomfortable leaning position." Correct again, ding-ding-dong, we have a winner. The K-planes react very quickly. I had this problem until I installed mech. tab indicators. :wrench:

"Without question, the 22 Classic Special Edition did its best work running in a straight line. In slalom turns at various speeds, the boat had a tendency to hop...". What else would you expect for a narrow beam muscle boat? The things bad ass with way too much H.P. & torque but that's what make it fun. :cool!:

"The cure for making the 22 Classic Special Edition more manageable is simple: less power." True, but what fun would that be?? :rlol:

"Don't let its diminutive size fool you-the Donzi 22 Classic Special Edition is not a beginner's boat..." This is absolutely, positively 100% correct and the biggest compliment they could have given this boat. :hyper:

Dr. Dan
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
:spongebob Rick...Interesting....Thanks for sharing the input of what it's really like...makes me glad I have the only "Half Breed" HP500 EFI / King Cobra powered 22 Classic. Other than the very responsive drag if ya chop the Throttle(which is common) ....my 22 Classic shares absolutely none of the Nasty Traits described in the Article.

I know Todd has a Shorty and claims a dramatic attitude change when switching props....so I have to believe my Monster Scud Missile back there is actually giving me a substantial handling advantage. I get no High Siding, No Rolling Motion or Sensation of the Boat about to Rock over...

Now I also handle the Throttle with Velvet Gloves...I don't abuse the Torque...and I am very Respectful of all that it has to offer. I also accept the fact that it will take me a lot of Seat Time before I am comfortable in driving this boat to it's full potential.

I am running a 3 Blade Turbo 25 for starters last season....but I am switching to the 27 3 Blade Turbo for 2005! I got major Stern Lift since the repower....

I am very happy with my repower!!!!!

Hmmmm? Really makes ya wonder...why they would charge over $80 K for a poor handling performance edition.... but it does explain why they don't build them anymore...

Doc :p

Rootsy
01-21-2005, 09:06 PM
if anything the SE needs MOOOOORE ooomph ;) 650, maybe 700 ponies... yeah that's the ticket :idea:

speaking from experience.. the Mirage just plain SUCKS on a 22 at high speeds... if you really want insane try one on my 16 :shocking:

Fact is, many of us are running serious power in hulls much shorter, narrower and lighter than most comparable setups... No most are not beginners boats or for the inexperienced, or those with more balls than brains... but respect it and use accordingly and have fun!

JR - one of the nutso ones

John W
01-22-2005, 09:51 AM
'zactly.. Prop it right, add hydraulic steering, the ill handling goes away.. The Mirage is the second most ill handling prop on a Classic, exceeded only by a Bravo :eek:
I have the 004 22 classsic with the 496 HO With the Mirage 25+ peop. The boat seems to handle AOK to me but I only have a grand totoal of 3.5 Hours on it. What props are the rest of you running. I get 4900rpm @WOT and 71mph (GPS).
She porposes a bit but I just trim her nose down and she is fine. I am going to add the Victory tabs this winter.
I would like to try a different prop.

Poodle I will order those filters in the spring as a backup set.
Thanks,
JW

roadtrip se
01-22-2005, 10:10 AM
you, I, and the guys all agree the 500 makes this boat awesome.

Every one of the "issues" that PB had with the SE can be found in all 22 Classics irregardless of power package.
As Dan said, most are just seat time. The PB crew doesn't really spend much time in these boats. I watched them in Sarsota this fall, it's kind of an assembly line deal.

The only foul handling I have experienced in my "SE"(somerville edition) is a rear end hop, if you hit some unsettled water at high speeds. Believe me, it WILL get your attention. I attribute this to the high x-dim, high speeds, and a little driver error for not being more aware of the water conditions. Basically, just running too loose.

Couple of other suggestions. Next time you run the boat, forget you have tabs. They are not needed at all on this boat, except for the rare crosswind opportunity. Secondly, as everybody has said, try some props. I keep a couple of HydroQ4s and "Ole Diablo", a Mirage. I put the right prop on the boat for the day depending on the loads and conditions we are going to be running in. Never fails though, when I have my big Q4 on the hub, somebody like Byron Scholle wants to race!

Enjoy that rare beast. Maybe some day, you'll come run with us?!?!

Todd

Air 22
01-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Road Trip...Agree w/ you on everything except tabs in x-wind only. The combination of tabs and trim used correctly will allow boat to accelerate(get on plane sooner) than w/ out. This according to Bob Teague. Also in rough sea conditons tabs are a must adjusting w/ trim ... On the flat out, hammer down speeds, calm conditions.. I agree 0 tab. :D
This of course is just an opinion and NOT the only way. I've tried several different approaches and agree w/ Teague...but then again..its me.. :bonk:

Dr. Dan
01-23-2005, 06:52 AM
That splains it :bonk: :bonk:

Tabs bad, trim good... Thats all you need to remember..

So, now that we've hijacked this for sale thread, lets go over to the parts for sale section and start trouble :D :D :D

:smash: You mean again....it 's no fun when they just delete the post...it makes for boring reading....oh well... :rolleyes:

Air 22
01-23-2005, 08:11 AM
:smash: You mean again....it 's no fun when they just delete the post...it makes for boring reading....oh well... :rolleyes:

Trouble Maker... :spongebob :yes: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Air 22
01-23-2005, 08:15 AM
That splains it :bonk: :bonk:

Tabs bad, trim good... Thats all you need to remember..

So, now that we've hijacked this for sale thread, lets go over to the parts for sale section and start trouble :D :D :D

I deleted the post by mistake :idea: so if ya can... re-post it and continue the web drama... :beer: :rolleyes: :yes:

BUIZILLA
01-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Boy, did FlyBoy hijack a thread here or what ?? :bonk: :rlol:
JH

Dr. Dan
01-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Your wish is my command oh keeper of the Revlon :D :D :D

Oh Johnny Revlon....I think you have been "Rebranded" ....

There is Justice in this World!

Doc of Instigation ! :smash:

Air 22
01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
I love this site....JR :biggrin:

RickSE
01-24-2005, 11:18 AM
I certainly didn't pay $80K for my boat, far less.

Anyway, I've said this before but you absolutely can not accelerate my boat from a dead start without tabs. The porpoise gets very scarry :bawling: and is almost impossible to drive through. As PB stated, drive trim does not help. I finally gave up and now just put the tabs down, pulling them in once I'm at speed. It has to be the prop. I really like the Mirage+ at high speeds, very fast and stable. I just think the handling sucks down low. I have trouble though recognizing if it has too much or too little bow lift, seems like it just can't hold the bow up at slower speeds, or is it lifting it too high and then falling down?

Dr. Dan
01-24-2005, 07:15 PM
:wavey: Rickster.... I knew ya did not pay that... I was speaking in general...as to what they were Retailing For!

I'd be curious to see the X Dimension Variations Between the HP500 powered rides out there....

I still think yours is the better lookin Color Scheme...IMO.

Anyway....mine is under 3 feet of snow....pretending to be freeze dried....for awhile... :D

Doc :smash:

ChromeGorilla
01-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Doc, you better dust that puppy off before April......for Angel Aid PR...... snow should be gone by then !?!?!? Right!?!?! :D :rolleyes: :boggled: :wink: :bonk: :kaioken: :eek: :wavey:

Dr. Dan
01-24-2005, 08:55 PM
:banghead: Gotta have some things in order by April....like the new Trailer....

If I can I will attend.

Doc :bonk:

RickSE
01-25-2005, 10:22 AM
Doc, you mean snow like this?

Mine used to sit outside but now is in a new heated garage. We got pummeled with snow early this year and I would have been in big trouble if the boat was still outside.

I believe my X-dim is standard. At least from the looks of the pipes it does not seem raised.

roadtrip se
01-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Johnny Rev... Bob Teaque, Reggie Fountain, Mike Fiore, and probably a few others recomend tabs down on a cold start to get a twin engine, 8000+ pound behemoth up on plane. I did it for several years with mine, but we are talking about a power to weight ratio with a 22 Classic that is probably 2 to 1 in comparison to a Donzi ZR. Not to mention, the glacier-like pace it takes to move the stock Bennetts in any direction. I have a hard time understanding why anybody would drag the things for any reason.

Rick S, I would suggest you try some props. By the way my 29 Mirage does not porpise coming up on plane. I would also check your skeg for a bend. I would also check your hull for a hook. Something just isn't right. My beast will porpise a little in the midrange area, but I can work it out with some trim or a little more juice, never the tabs. At least you got k-planes, but I still would resist using the things.

My opinion and we all gots one.

Todd

Mr X
01-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Johnny Rev... Bob Teaque, Reggie Fountain, Mike Fiore, and probably a few others recomend tabs down on a cold start to get a twin engine, 8000+ pound behemoth up on plane. I did it for several years with mine, but we are talking about a power to weight ratio with a 22 Classic that is probably 2 to 1 in comparison to a Donzi ZR. Not to mention, the glacier-like pace it takes to move the stock Bennetts in any direction. I have a hard time understanding why anybody would drag the things for any reason.

Rick S, I would suggest you try some props. By the way my 29 Mirage does not porpise coming up on plane. I would also check your skeg for a bend. I would also check your hull for a hook. Something just isn't right. My beast will porpise a little in the midrange area, but I can work it out with some trim or a little more juice, never the tabs. At least you got k-planes, but I still would resist using the things.

My opinion and we all gots one.

Todd

Right on the money! ........I agree 100% :yes:

RickSE
01-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Well like PB I'm probably making it sound worse than it is. I only have one season in this boat and learn something new everytime I go out. Riding with the family in the boat most of the time we're cruising in the mid-range 45-55 MPH. The porpoise does go away as speed increases, but tabs are required to get through the porpoise or cruise in the mid-range. Unlike my old 18, drive trim does not knock down the porpoise.

I really think it's the prop, especially since PB had the same observations on SE #1, which would have had the same setup, lab-prop, weight distribution & hull.

Could it be the lab finished prop? Alterations on the blades like cup??

The skeg is straight, not sure about the bottom.

The boat did sit too far back on the trailer, about 3" over the bunks, for at least a year. We moved it back up as soon as we got the boat. I have trouble believing this could have caused a hook though since these things are so heavily built and it's been sitting correctly for a year now.

Ted, didn't you drive/ride-in this boat? I remember you telling me it was a good one. We rode in #1 with a few drivers, one being you, but I don't remember specifics on what you guys were doing with tabs. I do remember either you or Bryant telling us that the 22 does have a tendency to porpoise at low/mid range speeds, which is exactly what mine does.

Air 22
01-29-2005, 04:43 PM
SE...Agree somewhat w/ ya on the tabs...except I don't really like the word NEVER...if Tabs were usless, etc etc. they'd not be installed? Has anyone ever removed them from a 22 Classic or any Single Engine performance boat? The Factory installs them.... even on the Special Edition? Why? Do any single engine performance boat builders w/ any good reputation, build a boat w/ out tabs? Seems like an unecessary expense if they should never be used. I'm only seeing certain times to use them..ie not at WOT etc.. but when conditions warrant...like x-wind or slightly unbalanced load. My lil tug isn't able to just rocket out of the hole so tabs/trim help keep the bow down for the 1st few seconds then I bring'em up(tabs). I don't have benetts on mine and don't see the slow response you mention. Didn't realize benetts moved like molasses... :rolleyes: Yes, it scrubs speed that's obvious. Guess when I get that New HP600 I'll have that hole shot you do :eek: :yes: .....and... not need no stink'n TABS... :biggrin:

Just JR goin slow. :moped: .... :biggrin:

lmsac00
02-03-2005, 09:14 PM
i just purchased a 04 yellow annv. e.d. 22 classic hull #2 with 40 hours onit with the 496 HO. on a aluminum trailer for 33500.00 now i need to get it up to boston from florida. did i get a good deal?

BUIZILLA
02-03-2005, 09:41 PM
i just purchased a 04 yellow annv. e.d. 22 classic hull #2 with 40 hours onit with the 496 HO. on a aluminum trailer for 33500.00 now i need to get it up to boston from florida. did i get a good deal?contact BIGGUS on the OSO board to get it to you from Fla.
Jim

John W
02-03-2005, 10:44 PM
i just purchased a 04 yellow annv. e.d. 22 classic hull #2 with 40 hours onit with the 496 HO. on a aluminum trailer for 33500.00 now i need to get it up to boston from florida. did i get a good deal?
yes.

lmsac00
02-04-2005, 05:59 AM
not to sound dumb, but whats the oso board, im new hhere, len john are you the one that owned my 16 classic?

ChromeGorilla
02-04-2005, 06:29 AM
That sounds like a great deal..good job!

pmreed
02-04-2005, 08:32 AM
Imsac00, That's the "other" forum, Offshore Only. Stick that in your search engine and it'll come right up.

Phil

undertaker
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
That's a great deal :eek: I will keep that in mind when I look for my 22 classic. Good Job :pimp:

lmsac00
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
call me and ill give you the info. on another 22 anniverary with no trailer, new for 39,000. 1 781 953 2297

undertaker
02-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the offer but frankly I am not looking for an anniversary edition I don't care for the solid color scheme. I appreciate the offer though :biggrin: . If ya know of any non anniversary 22 classic deals let me know. Thanks. :cool:

Undertaker

rrleggat
02-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Where is that boat? Any info, I am looking for a new classic!!!
Thanks
Rob

call me and ill give you the info. on another 22 anniverary with no trailer, new for 39,000. 1 781 953 2297

Dr. Dan
02-04-2005, 09:04 PM
:bonk: Great price for a boat and Trailer....that's hard to believe, but Stranger things?

Congrats....

Doc :spit:

Air 22
02-05-2005, 08:18 PM

Wow....Thats a great deal Trailer too....damn... :D :D

lmsac00
02-06-2005, 07:29 PM
call me and ill talk to you on the boat.
Where is that boat? Any info, I am looking for a new classic!!!
Thanks
Rob

RickSE
02-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Imsac00,
I was at the factory when your boat, hull #2, was being finished. Here's some pictures, sorry for the washed out colors. Sounds like a great deal, suggested retail was probably in the $50K range.

lmsac00
02-07-2005, 11:02 AM
thanks for the pics. ill keep them with the papers, pickin boat up tomorrow a.m.

ChromeGorilla
02-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Congrats again lmsac00! You know, right around Apr when you're just about fed up with Mr. Frost this would be perfect for the new ride........C'mon down! (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38191) :beer: :yes: :beer:

lmsac00
02-08-2005, 12:15 PM
my broyher justleft the dealer with boat in tow it was mint and all they said it was. eric and bill over at r.v world of nokomis f.l.were great guys to deal with and i got one nice boat with 425 horses to kick ass on the lake. thumbs up for r.v. world

Mac
02-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Is this the actual boat you purchased? http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/75097482.htm

lmsac00
02-08-2005, 04:59 PM
yes that is the boat.

Mac
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
How did you get them to come down $14,500 on the price?

lmsac00
02-08-2005, 05:53 PM
i worked them pretty hard. if anyones interested theres another one on boat trader call john at lightning bay marine in florida 04 brand new 375 h.p. anniversary yelow. bring your own trailer and a check for 39k and its yours. not a bad deal either. 1 727 578 0880

knots2u
02-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Seller (Aqua Toy Store) is looking for $42K on the 2004 22 Classic 496/375hp on ebay.

lmsac00
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
sounds like the one at lightning bay is a little better of a deal at 39k, its new with warranty and i believe the anniversary edition has a little more to it.but that deal dont seem bad either. , len
Seller (Aqua Toy Store) is looking for $42K on the 2004 22 Classic 496/375hp on ebay.