PDA

View Full Version : 28 zx (single vs. twin)

semper_paratus
01-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Okay fellas,

My first post and I am trusting your knowledge.
I want a bigger donzi and I am looking at possibly a 28 zx. My first question is what years should I be steering away from and why?
My second is what are the pro's and con's of the single (502) vs. the twins (350)?
I have not had the pleasure of riding in one yet so I am really going into this blind. I have a 1989 Z-22 that I love, but is a little small with the wife and 2 retrievers on an overnighter. Hoping that the extra room may help. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.:beer:

Dr. Dan
01-17-2005, 07:50 PM
.......First Welcome to the Registry...I would suggest you go under the Performance Section here and do a search....the reigning authorities on Zx Performance here are in no particular order: Frank Civitano aka "Shanghied Again", Bryan Tuvell aka " 33 zx " , Tim White aka "Smooth Operator", and many others...Frank is a VP at Typhoon Performance...and is very knowledgeable about the performance variations.

You will find this always stirs up alot of dust....not alot of 28's here...but there are a few...

Good Luck

Doc :bonk:

Mr X
01-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Welcome fellow "coastie"
1998 or later ......twin only.
The earlier 28Zx's had major issues.......
In fact you can not order a single version now.

show-n-go h2o
01-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Okay fellas,

My first post and I am trusting your knowledge.
I want a bigger donzi and I am looking at possibly a 28 zx. My first question is what years should I be steering away from and why?
My second is what are the pro's and con's of the single (502) vs. the twins (350)?
I have not had the pleasure of riding in one yet so I am really going into this blind. I have a 1989 Z-22 that I love, but is a little small with the wife and 2 retrievers on an overnighter. Hoping that the extra room may help. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.:beer:
I know where to find an 03 28zx, it's like brand new.lol good luck on the new boat and welcome to the site.

mjpcowboy
01-18-2005, 09:35 AM
28 with twins is a great running boat. I have been in each variation several times. I personally would not consider a 28 with a single BB. With the price of some used 33's you might want to consider a step up, a lot more boat for the money. :)

undertaker
01-18-2005, 09:46 AM
2000 and newer 28ZX you can not go wrong with, twin 350's are the only way to go, I had a 2000 28ZX and loved it, if you need more room for overnighting and can afford to go bigger a 33ZX is the ticket. I might just know where a very clean affordable 33ZX is available :biggrin: :biggrin: . Good Luck in your looking process.

Undertaker :stan:

PS Dr. Dan sorry I missed your call and few weeks ago have been so busy since I came back for Winni, will give you a call and see what's up. :cool:

Dr. Dan
01-18-2005, 11:43 AM
:cool: No worries Ed :cool:

semper_paratus
01-18-2005, 06:16 PM
:shades: Thanks fellas,

I appreciate your insight and glad to hear from another "coastie".

Undertaker, I have been back and forth on the 33zx. I love the boat (yours is beautiful), but trying to be practical with little steps. I'll tell ya though, mama really likes the 33zx. Who knows, by the time I grow a big enough sack to spend the dough, maybe I will cough up the extra. We'll see.http://www.donzi.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

But, if I do decide to go with the 28zx it sounds like I should definately stay away from a single.
Also, someone in another thread stated that you should look out for a hook in the hull. I can only assume that this is a hook that is toward the stern at the "v" of the hull. If this is correct.
What is this from? How do I look and test for this?:anchor:

fasttrucker
01-20-2005, 06:37 PM
CigaretteSS is wrong. MY 1998 28zx is the boat in the catalog.The photo boat.OK. So I have a single 502.OK so the boat was too slow I spent lots of $$$$.Now its fast, I keep up right along side of undertakers 33.I think if I didnt have a hook in the hull it would be a little faster. :moped:

fasttrucker
01-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Hooks are caused by taking the boat out of the mold too soon or too late.Most boats have either a hook or a rocker.Meaning the opp. of a hook.Sometimes they are caused by roller trailers too.Thats why most everyone uses a bunk trailer.My boat has a hook which makes the boat ride flat.I trim it up and its fast.To have the bottom redone is $2000.Its called blueprinting.Iam thinking about it :idea:

Dr. Dan
01-20-2005, 07:11 PM
:bonk: Alrighty Then.... :biggrin.:

ChromeGorilla
01-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Hi Semper paratus, how are you? Welcome to the board. I see your from Saratoga. I grew up in Burnt Hills. My folks still live there. They have a place on Sacandaga. Where do you boat? Again welcome!

undertaker
01-21-2005, 12:10 PM
DR. DAN ---- :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :D :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

fasttrucker
01-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I would get a reply....like this :banghead: ..or this :spit: maybe this... :splat: or that... :bawling: ...but I got this.. :bonk:

Dr. Dan
01-23-2005, 09:59 AM
:smash: Bill it's only cause we love ya ....and besides you should be out shoveling? Get back out there...! :bighug:

Doc :biggrin:

Air 22
01-23-2005, 10:40 AM
semper_paratus

Welcome Fellow Coastie...Glad to have ya w/ us. I was on the USCGC Dallas & USCGC Gallatin Rescue Swimmer. Your from my neck of the woods...I went to highschool in Lake George. Hope to see ya in June for the Spring Dust Off w/ or without a Donzi :smile:

Your on the right site for Donzi Info :yes:

Shanghied Again
01-23-2005, 02:29 PM
First welcome to the board.
The best years of the 28ZX is the new version 2000 up 1999 down have the older bottom (Good Boat) Yes but the new version will bring you more on resale. Twins a must don't go single you will be spending a lot of money to go faster. If you can find a Scorpion 28ZX do it. This boat runs 80mph and is the most wanted 28ZX sold for big money brand new but you can pic one up for 79,000 used. I like the way the 28Zx handles and runs stock 350 Mags runs 72mph. Best of luck and again welcome to the board

harbormaster
01-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Something to be said for having a single engine. You do not have to get a good deal on 2 of the same thing. You can spend 6 grand between a pair of big blocks and still have a pair of mediocre big blocks.

or

You can spend 6 grand on 1 big block and have a very nice engine.

Something to think of.

Mr X
01-23-2005, 08:58 PM
CigaretteSS is wrong. MY 1998 28zx is the boat in the catalog.The photo boat.OK. So I have a single 502.OK so the boat was too slow I spent lots of $$$$.Now its fast, I keep up right along side of undertakers 33.I think if I didnt have a hook in the hull it would be a little faster. :moped:

I was not saying that all 1998 and later were twins.....
I was giving my opinion that he should look for a 1998 or later
AND a twin.
I am very familer with them, having driven ALL of them that left the factory, from mid 1998, to summer of 2002 .....OK. ;)

fasttrucker
01-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Didnt mean to pick a fight with you...CigaretteSS.If you drove my boat when it left the factory...Did it have the hook in it then?and Why?My boat has the custom factory paint by STORY...do you know him? and last Question...My boat is the catalog boat pictured in 1998.Exactly the same paint.So is the boat I have that boat or did this guy STORY who signed his name on the back of my 1998 28ZX make a few that exact way.My boat new was sent to fox lake donzi dealer up in IL.Iam the 3RD owner.The second owner has a stock broker who made a big deal about my boat being THE DONZI PHOTO BOAT! and if you have read any of my posts about my boat you might have noticed that I might have mentioned it before...once or twice. :smile:

Mr X
01-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Didnt mean to pick a fight with you...CigaretteSS.If you drove my boat when it left the factory...Did it have the hook in it then?and Why?My boat has the custom factory paint by STORY...do you know him? and last Question...My boat is the catalog boat pictured in 1998.Exactly the same paint.So is the boat I have that boat or did this guy STORY who signed his name on the back of my 1998 28ZX make a few that exact way.My boat new was sent to fox lake donzi dealer up in IL.Iam the 3RD owner.The second owner has a stock broker who made a big deal about my boat being THE DONZI PHOTO BOAT! and if you have read any of my posts about my boat you might have noticed that I might have mentioned it before...once or twice. :smile:

Yes I drove it, ........yes it had a hook to stop the porpoising of the hull.......all the Big Block 28's have the hook.....it is there intentionally. The twins do not and that is why they are faster, Donzi now blueprints all of the hull bottoms.
Yes I know StorZ, he does not work there anymore.
Yes your boat was the brochure boat. :biggrin.:

fasttrucker
01-28-2005, 07:09 PM
O.K. thanks... Do you think I should have the hook taken out? Iam moving the boat this year to jackson marine and over the winter Iam having the paint touched up,to remove the scatches and chips.I think your right that if I was looking for a stock H.P. donzi-28ZX the twin engine would be better.But I would rather have the single with the big H.P. My boat rocks! My mech.at C.M.S. RACING was a little disapointed that my donzi didnt reach 80mph.I go 75mph and sometimes I can get 77/78.Iam not sure about taking out the hook?

Dr. Dan
01-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Bill, possibly ya missed this..."........yes it had a hook to stop the porpoising of the hull......."...if Ted says it was put there on purpose....then........ahhh .... leave it alone.

75-78 is moving in that Hull, now if ya could learn to drive it and glue a Pink Flamingo on it...well then...it would be cool! :rlol:

Paint it, detail it and Drive it....see ya next week...hey maybe ya can talk to Frank or other Donzi Afficionado's..(Atlantic City Show)...maybe they can give ya some pointers....

Doc of Instigation and Topical Sarcasm :wavey:

undertaker
01-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey Doc you planning on going to AC show? :boat: I'll give you a call later on in the week maybe we can coordinate our schedules :biggrin: Talk to ya. :bighug:

Undertaker :biggrin:

Last Tango
01-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Have your cake and eat it too...

One overlooked motor in this thread is the MX6.2MPI You can get twins in the 28ZX. 320 hp each. A Scorpion motor without the requirement for the Scorpions premium fuel and the extra $6k each. And a real warrenty.
Remember that the 377 Series motors were the REPLACEMENT for the 454 Series. The 496's were intended to replace the 502's.
The Scorpions are expensive to own and operate. And a single 525 EFI would double the price of the boat with twin 350 Mags.
If you are looking for a used one, remember to be VEWY CARWFULL (Qwazy Wabbit) because SOME 28ZX with twin 350's are actually the 260 HP models. Know your engines before you shop.

semper_paratus
02-02-2005, 05:42 PM
You guys sure have given me a great deal of information. For the time being I am only considering a 28zx with twin 350 mags in it.

Now it's all about timing.

Going to the AC boat show this weekend with my wife and friends. Hope to see alot of great boats and get over the winter time blues. Maybe, if I get around to it, I might even stop by and see the 35ZR. I'll think about it.http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif
(I know this will cheer me up)

In addition, thanks for the warm welcome. You guys and gals are great and full of awesome info.

To my fellow "Coasties". I did my stint out on Martha's Vineyard at USCG Station Menesha. I was a FN there loving life doing L.E. and SAR. Decided to advance and went to "MK" school.
Graduated and was sent to Governor's Island, NY. I was one of the last that was assigned to USCGC Red Beech berthed at Lovely Governor's Island, Lima Pier.
"The greatest way to experience NYC."
:ribbon:

Saratoga Lake is now my home away from home. I am hoping to attend some of the local gatherings and hang out with fellow fanatics this summer.http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

ChromeGorilla
02-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I see you boat on Saratoga Lake....is Panza's still there?
My little brother has crew races there on the lake I think.