PDA

View Full Version : TN Boating Laws - Noise

RedDog
01-16-2005, 05:24 PM
TN recently passed a new law that will require that those born after 1/1/89 must be licensed to operate a power boat - not a bad thing in my view. This law will apply to one of my sons so I decided to review the study manual myself. To my chagrin, I discovered a requirement that I didn't know existed - or is this also new?

1) engines of all motorized vessels must have an effective muffling system
2) noise may not exceed 86 decibels at 50 feet
3) exhaust cutouts are illegal (I assume this means switchable Silent Choice)
4) If stopped by an officer, required to submit to noise level testing

I've been stopped for safety gear checks but have never had my exhaust questioned.

Anyone know when the TN noise requirements came into effect and have they ever been checked in TN?

How loud (decibel range) would my 502 with baffled Corsa exhaust tip be at 50 feet?

Lenny
01-16-2005, 07:05 PM
We have no laws on noise here period :D Ocean and all.

In our couple TINY lakes, all they say is that water MUST pass through the exhaust to cool the gases. :)

The idea here is to keep Dry Pipe/over the transom exhaust draggers off the lakes.

They are not all that LOUD with the water flowing out there IMO.

Bruce B.
01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
The noise requirements are new to me and have not heard of any issues as of yet. I am glad to see the licensed age limit of boaters. It will be interesting to see how the noise limits hold up, there is alot of Thunder on our lake. http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Fish boy
01-17-2005, 02:24 AM
3) exhaust cutouts are illegal (I assume this means switchable Silent Choice)

I think this might be more applicable to outboards. I am gettin gready to "relieve" the exhaust on the midsection of my tunnel; it will definitely be a lot louder, but should also pick up a few mph..