PDA

View Full Version : New to this site - Question.."zx" vs. "zr"

cads03
01-15-2005, 04:28 PM
I am New to this site, I got a link from Speedwake.com. I saw an add on boattraderonline for a new 35 ZR for $160k and it caught my attention. I got to looking on the Donzi website at the 35 ZR and I like it a lot. Seems to have a nice cabin, awesome gauge package and to top it off will run over 80 with 496 HO's. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the ZX and ZR? I assume it is hull design and material used to make the ZR lighter, but I have been known to be wrong before. Anyway, great site, I hope to be here often.

mjpcowboy
01-15-2005, 05:03 PM
ZX has a wider beam 9'3", more room in cabin and cuddy. ZR is faster with same power. I have a ZX but I would really look hard at the ZR.

Donzigo
01-15-2005, 05:30 PM
The 35 ZR is a brand new design just intoduced. The 33 ZX will probably disappear in time, if the dealers order the 35 ZR in place of the ZX. The ZR is a flat deck, the ZX has a roomy cabin and is probably a bit slower than the ZR, my guess.

boxy
01-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Hey Glad you found us..... :wavey:
I'm sure you'll find the answers you need here.....

boxy aka blue-llama

cads03
01-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the replys. Do you think the ZR still has a roomy enough cabin, or is it a place under the deck they are "Calling" a cabin? I would like a nice powerboat with a roomy cabin that is comfortable. I have seen a 38 zx datona on boattrader.com that interests me a little. However, I am not in the market right now. I am sort of looking at what I should be able to afford in 2-3 years. I thought most of the boats in this size range were well over $200. If a well equipt ZR can be bought for $160-$170, I will bet that in 2-3 years, one can be had for the $120 range, if not maybe even a little less.

Dr. Dan
01-15-2005, 10:11 PM
:wavey: Cads....Welcome....I would do your self a favor and attend some of our Events.....and go to a Boat show in your area that would have the style boats you are interested in....it will answer most of your questions.

The Fact is that there are Trade Offs with Boats....Lighter means Faster...sometimes Lighter also means less sturdy, or cheap...not that a boat in the Size Range you are describing would be considered cheap....but even in larger hulls there are differences in Hull Construction.

I know a nice 33 Zx that is available for a song right now....and it has a roomy Cabin,Air and More...Check Out "Undertakers Boat" under our Classifieds. :smash:

If ya catch the Atlantic City Boat Show....there are alot of us going there, and they will have a 35ZR there to compare. It's also nice to see in real time the differences in a Formula vs. Fountain vs. Donzi...etc....it becomes very clear as to what the strengths of one Brand are compared to another.

Then it gets down to how much ya wanna spend, and what your needs are. Then Pull the Trigger. The real fun begins way after you get the boat...its all of the fun maintenance that goes along with them....that's what seperates most of the Anal Retentives on this Registry from the rest of the boating world community....some of us are just plane nuts.... :bighug:

Why you'd be surprised what you would find under the hatches of some of our little puddle jumpers....it's enough to make ya grow Hair...

Good Luck in your search...

Doc :wavey:

Smooth Z
01-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I've owned two 33's one zx and one daytona. I have also been in a 35zr. The biggest difference is the amount of space.
The zx is alot bigger. It comes down to how you plan on using it. If you want a go fast boat with little amenties for day trips and poker runs then the zr. If you want to possible do overnighters then the zx. I have a 33 zx daytona for sale with A/C that will do 80-81. It is a great family boat as well. The women love the space, ride and the enclosed head. Hope this helps.

cads03
01-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Just a little about me, I have a 2003 288 Sunsation and love it. I am planning for the future on my NEXT boat. The 32 Sunsation just doesn't do it for me, it is basically my boat with a 1' bigger cabin and 1' bigger cockpit it seems. How is the ride difference between the 35' ZR and the 33' ZX? I would "guess" the ride on the 35' would be noticeably better because the 35' is not only longer, but also narrower. With that said, would the 35' have just a tad more room than the 33'? I am going to the Columbus boat show in Feb. I hope there is both boats there so I can look at them side by side. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

boxy
01-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Here are the specs of the 2005 35ZR, I can't find the specs for the 33zx, it is no longer on Donzi's website, it looks like it is no longer available......
http://www.donzimarine.com/DonziWebsite/Site/STDSpopups/ZR/35ZRstds.html

fasttrucker
01-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I would like to see inside pictures of the cabin.

Shanghied Again
01-16-2005, 03:44 PM
The 35ZR is a lighter set up yes but there is no way she is cheaper. The big difference is unlike the 33ZX she is made of pure Kevelar she is a nimble fast and heck of a lot of fun to run. With 496s she will run in the low 80s and with 525s running in the 90s. Starting price is around $159,000 thats with no paint or options the boat comes pretty well loaded with some major standard equipment. The 33ZX is a heavier boat with a much bigger cabin. Also remember the 35ZR does not really have a v/berth the 33ZX does two different boats with two different objectives. The 35, 38 and the 43ZR will be aimed at Poker Runs and Racing. I already sold 2 and of course I want one just have to decide do I want to go for the extra money for 525s.

Shanghied Again
01-16-2005, 03:46 PM
CADS03 I have a leftover 33ZX if interested

Dr. Dan
01-16-2005, 04:49 PM
:bonk: Frank....Come on....it's only money.....plus now ya got connections....come on go for the Bigger Motors....show those Weenies in the NYC Runs and the NJPB Club...what ya got....plus you'll almost be able to see Geo when ya do runs together....so you can be like a Chase Boat or somethin....

Looking forward to seeing one live at the Show...will it have 525's? And how much do they add to the Sticker? $75K?

Doc :banghead:

Shanghied Again
01-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey Doc
The one at the show will have 496s and be around $185,000 she is loaded with Impulse paint blue and silver the 525 boat loaded is around $229,000

cads03
01-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the info. When buying a new boat, I like to think about how it will sell when it is time for me to get a new one. If I have to add $45k for motors, will I get anywhere near that out of it? Conversly, if I don't spring for the bigger motors, WILL I be able to sell it?

Dr. Dan
01-16-2005, 09:33 PM
:spongebob Good to know Frank.... Guess I might have to sell a couple of Toys to justify that to the CFO. Well maybe when I get my Toy Boat done.... we can look at one of them thar Sting Ray Boats like that there ZR.....my she sure is pretty! MMMMm Hmmmmm! :beer:

Cad Man... I would think the 525's would always sell better than a lesser powered boat, but it could be argued that this particular boats design is soooo state of the art that even with the less fuel consuming Mills...it would still retain its retail appeal.

I think that over all condition and Maintenance actually has more pull than whats actually powering her...after all....once you reach this level of Performance Boat....most buyers are interested in the Integrity of the Hull...and how new looking it is....they can always drop new power in her.

Ask me how I know that!

Doc.... :beer:

I would love to see what one of those would run with Staggered 1075's in it...I bet it would be smokin.

ChromeGorilla
01-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Dan you are right maintenance and overall condition are very important. And the 496HO is a great motor IMHO. But maybe it's me, but the offshore crowd that would likely purchase one of these new or one a couple years old, seem to "knock" the HO's a little. And it seems to me they prefer 500's or 525's at a minimum when shopping. They aren't looking to have to pay beyond the cost of the boat to have HO's pulled and desired power put in. They are looking for nice HP in a nice fairly new boat for a good price. Just my 2 cents. :wavey:

Last Tango
01-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Donzimarine.com now has interior photos of the 35ZR and full specs. Looks to me like 33ZX is much more comfortable. ZR is for running fast...really fast. 33ZX is for running fast and still have all the ammenities for comfort. Not much headroom in the 35ZR. Motors? Depends on the size of your wallet. I can't afford either boat, so I can just as well go with 525's. 200 more net horsepower per boat over twin 496HO's. But I have heard very few complainers when it comes to the 496HO's.