PDA

View Full Version : renewing coroded alumium?

MattM
01-14-2005, 11:22 PM
My raw aluminum intake manifold has the white corrosion spots on it from years of use, condensation, etc.

Is there any product I can use to dissolve this and make it look like as newly cast again? I don't want to buff it or sand it or anything, just look non coroded.

Also, does anybody know how to get a semi-polished aluminum? Kinda like an edelbrock aluminum carb, or the look a silver ceramicoated part.

thanks, Matt

MOP
01-15-2005, 08:13 AM
Matt it really may not be worth the effort, you can pickup very nice conditioned ones used off Ebay or the like. I got a Performer for $75 in near cherry condition. Aluminum can corrode quite deeply and not look that bad, they also get badly pitted in the water passage. I would give yours a good inspection before putting any work into it, pull the T stat housing look and feel inside the water passage and poke around some of the corroded areas to make sure it is still solid. Aluminum needs to be cleaned absolutely bright with no traces of the white corrosion left behind or it will just start to corrode again in short order even if well coated.

Phil

BigGrizzly
01-16-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm with Phil. The big problem is on the inside. I saw a set with bronze runners cast into the water cross overs to solve this problem. I think they were Dart.

gcarter
01-16-2005, 07:48 AM
I agree also. When you consider the cost of your labor, new manifolds are too cheap.
On my new engine, I painted the Performer intake with some high temp. clear engine paint. We'll see how it holds up. :wrench:

motorcity
01-16-2005, 09:11 AM
You may want to try some of the spray on mag wheel cleaners Eagle, Mothers), many of them have a mild acid in them.

lee
01-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I Used Pc-7 Epoxy To Fill In The Low Spots And Reinforce My Water Intake

MattM
01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the insights fellas.

This is freshwater Z21 that has sat under a cover for a few months outside while I had my '57 chevy apart in the garage. It is back inside now, w/ a minor corrosion, white spots on the intake manifold. I was hoping there was a "miracle product" I could use to remove it easily.

???

motorcity
01-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the insights fellas.

This is freshwater Z21 that has sat under a cover for a few months outside while I had my '57 chevy apart in the garage. It is back inside now, w/ a minor corrosion, white spots on the intake manifold. I was hoping there was a "miracle product" I could use to remove it easily.

???
I would think that the aluminum mag cleaner would clean the white spots off.

onesubdrvr
01-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Matt,

My engine is in the machine shop, and while I had time, I decided to see what I could do with an old set of exhaust tips off my dads old boat. I fould that a carbon steel wire wheel (small one on a dremel) really cleans it up good without giving it the polished look, more of a brushed look, but, I went a little further with mine. Take a look,...