PDA

View Full Version : Spy photo's for Shelby Mustang lovers

Brad Lyon
01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
This is from a friend of mine that works with Mustangs at Ford. This is the 2007 Ford Shelby GR1 concept car. If Ford decides to put It into production, potential buyers can expect to pay around $200,000 For it. The entire exterior of the car is polished aluminum, and it has liquid cooled LED headlights.

Ford spent $5 million developing this car, and another $2 million just building this particular one. This is the first and only one of this type in existence.

In January of 2004 it was sketched on paper. In February a full size mock-up was molded in clay. Now, a year later, the real thing is on it's way to the Detroit Auto Show floor. This car wasn't a mock-up or a shell. It's a fully functional automobile.

The sculptor, and designer for the car is hoping it will take best of show this year.

Brad

mattyboy
01-14-2005, 04:23 PM
wild looking

the back says mustang the front says gt-40

Cuda
01-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Looks just like a silver 280Zx.

TMANN
01-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Does this one have a 6 cylinder or a 8 cylinder? :rlol:

Ed Donnelly
01-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't want to drive it, or be driving near it, in the bright sunlight. But H**L, its a Ford,,,YIPPPPEEE!!!!!!!Ed :yes: :cool!:

roadtrip se
01-15-2005, 09:51 AM
and this thing would make a 280z look like the pretender it always was...

It's based on the GT platform and the rumor is that it will suceed the GT when they stop building it in a year or so, to amortize their investment in the architecture.

Very cool car, aluminum skin aside. Under black light, it should get the juices flowing, even in a non-car person.

In addition, the Mustang display from SEMA was awesome.
A row of about ten, highly customized Mustangs including the Rousch and the Saleen versions, right before you enter the GM booth. Impressive.

Funniest moment. Walking by the new Viper Coupe and hearing the talking blonde describe the attachment points for the baby seat and the fact that the trunk could hold ten bags from the Somerset Mall. Okay then...

The Z06 was very, very cool in yellow, but up on a stage where you can't really look at it, again with talking blond. Please get out of the way so I can see the car please!

The new Saturn Sky convertible is going to kick every Miata lover to the curb!

Oh one other cool thing, Ford has cut a GT in half and encapsulated it in plastic, so you can walk right through it,
engine included. Awesome.

Show is great and worth the trip acoross the tundra to see it!

Todd

gcarter
01-15-2005, 09:59 AM
It kinda reminds me of Porsche in the '50's with their early 356 aluminum bodies......
No bumpers! You talk about upset owners and people who park using the Braille method!!!!! :smash:

Brad Lyon
01-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Tmann, it's not a V6 or V8, it's a V10 under the hood! They just finished it last Wednesday so they have not had a chance to really see how it performs yet.

Personally I don't think it looks anything like a Datsun or anything else that would have come from the J.A. Pan company or Jap Crap as it is referred to here in Michigan.

gcarter
01-15-2005, 01:34 PM
I think it looks like an early Lamborghini, ....what was it?...
a P-400? Really remarkable similarity, headlights, roof, tail treatment.
:wavey:

Cuda
01-15-2005, 02:33 PM
and this thing would make a 280z look like the pretender it always was...

I still think it looks like a 280Z. I had a 280, and it was one of the best cars I've owned. It would run strong and handle like it was on rails. I bought it used, and even though it had T Tops, you're ears would still pop when you shut the doors. Very solid car.

RedDog
01-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Show is great and worth the trip acoross the tundra to see it!

Todd
Cool cars, but tell me about the camera you used to take these shots

roadtrip se
01-15-2005, 03:06 PM
"Personally I don't think it looks anything like a Datsun or anything else that would have come from the J.A. Pan company or Jap Crap as it is referred to here in Michigan."

I'll second that Brad! Very cool pics of the Gr-1 on the tarmac, by the way.

I was talking to a Ford design engineer last night and he basically stated that you see the muscle car DNA immediately or you don't. An athletic, broad-shouldered, menacing, get the hell out my lane look.

Even the new Z ain't got it and probably never will, much less the 280Z. Sorry Cuda, but I'll stick with the Detroit Iron.

It's good to be in Detroit!

Todd
PS. RD, I borrowed the shots, no real place to carry a camera in a tux...

gcarter
01-15-2005, 08:40 PM
I think it looks like an early Lamborghini, ....what was it?...
a P-400? Really remarkable similarity, headlights, roof, tail treatment.
:wavey:
Take a look at this:
http://www.qv500.com/lamborghinimiurap1.htm :)

Actually this one is better:
http://www.lambocars.com/miura/p400s.htm

ToonaFish
01-15-2005, 09:38 PM
The new Saturn Sky convertible is going to kick every Miata lover to the curb!

Hello. My name is Celene and I want a Saturn. (shudder)

The Sky is slap hot. I'm stunned. Truly. Stunned. This is not the middle aged crazy that I expected. :shocking:

ToonaFish
01-15-2005, 10:13 PM
I happen to like cars with camel toes...

Cuda
01-16-2005, 12:57 AM
"Personally I don't think it looks anything like a Datsun or anything else that would have come from the J.A. Pan company or Jap Crap as it is referred to here in Michigan."

Dude, I'm not denegrating the Ford at all, as I said, I thought the 280Z was a great looking car. But if you say you can't see the similarities at all, you need to take off the Detroit blinders. I'm a Ford man anyway.

roadtrip se
01-16-2005, 11:58 AM
every time I see a Saturn Sky in test form, I'm going to be thinking of female body parts. The car is awesome in concept, now keep your fingers crossed that the bean counters don't screw it up by cheapening the interior, etc.
It'll be just another Fiero fiasco, if they do.

Cuda, some cars just don't photo well, so I'll cop you a break on the GR-1, but comparing Ford's next super car to a 280Z?
You see this car in person and your comparison sounds like someone saying a Harley Fat Boy has the lines of a kid's Schwinn! Absurd!

Yes, I'm biased towards the Big two and a half, especially Ford since that is where I make my living every day and they are my company's largest customer. This being said, I found plenty of time to drool over all of the great stuff down at Cobo!

Todd
"Adding Celene to my daily Sky update list, ask MP about Mustang updates if you want to hear about torment..."

gcarter
01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
FWIW, the original 240Z concept was penned by
Albrecht von Goertz, who was most famous for styling the 1955 BMW 507. But the pattern for the 240Z was a Ferrari 250 GTO, a front engine car. Not the Ford GT40, a mid engine car.
Mid engined cars must have completely diffierent proportions.
It's no accident the show car here, the Ford GT, the original Ford GT40, and the Lamborghini P400 all have similar shapes and proportions. All four are extremely low, mid engine, short wheelbase cars tied to parameters of the early sixties. :yes:

Cuda
01-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Cuda, some cars just don't photo well, so I'll cop you a break on the GR-1, but comparing Ford's next super car to a 280Z?
You see this car in person and your comparison sounds like someone saying a Harley Fat Boy has the lines of a kid's Schwinn! Absurd!

Look at that second picture on the first post. Now tell me that doesn't have the same lines as a 280Z. Absurd? I think not.

Cuda
01-16-2005, 12:33 PM
By the way, no, I have not seen this car in person, I was basing the 280Z look on the pictures posted.