PDA

View Full Version : That Dreaded Phone Call

Walt. H.
01-14-2005, 12:06 PM
My wife Rita calls me at work last night around 6 o'clock all upset asking me to come home. Her brother Rick was at our house, and the State police had just left informing him that his fianc'ee Jodi was killed in a violent head on auto accident, from massive head and internal organ injuries a few hours earlier. The accident was due to heavy patchy fog conditions yesterday afternoon, the road curved and apparently she didn't see it coming or slow down in time and crossed over the double yellow lines and hit another women head on who was fortunate enough to escaped with minor leg injuries.
Warming air and cold heavy ground snow temperatures was the cause of the fog.

The other part of this dreaded phone call was that I had to take my brother in-law to the hospital so he could view her remains before she was transferred the the M.E.'s office for autopsy required by state law, and there wasn't a dam thing I could do to comfort him.
I felt so inadequate, I have always been his big brother that he has looked up too, to help, fix or give guidance, and there wasn't a thing I could do for him when he fell to pieces when he viewed what she looked like laying lifeless on the hospital bed after the trauma team tried to perform the impossible. She was 39yr's old.

So please just like I mentioned to Scot, V. reguarding his dad's fading condition the other day, " life isn't graded by the quantity of years but by the quality of the years we have".
This is the reason i'm printing this note, is just to say to the familys around us today that they are loved. Because there might not be a chance to say it tomorrow.

God Bless You All,

Walt

Patti
01-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Oh Walt http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

I'm so sorry to hear that..how tragic..my prayers go out to you and your family http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

Walt. H.
01-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Patti,

I will pass on your thoughts to Rick and her family.

She to was originally from Canarsie before moving upstate to live with my kid brother-inlaw.

Walt

Patti
01-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Walt..what was her name?

She was the same age I am..there is a good chance I went to school or knew her.

You can send it privately if you aren't comfortable posting it here..

Again, I am SO sorry..there aren't any words that can make it better http://www.donzi.net/ubb/frown.gif

Ranman
01-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I am sorry to hear about the loss. A similar situation occurred here.

We all need to remember to drive carefully in heavy fog or adverse conditions.

http://www.freep.com/news/mich/pileup13e_20050113.htm

Team Jefe
01-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Walt - Please pass on my deepest sympathy to your family.

You pegged it my friend...savor every moment, cause we are all just one step ahead of The Reaper.

as for teh Big Brother thing. I too am a Big Bro and even treat my friends like that (though most are older than me). Its tough when you can't do anything....just remember we all have a Great Big Brother who is there for us always...especially at times like this, and HE CAN DO !

Via Con Dios Amigo

Sport
01-14-2005, 03:02 PM
Our thoughts are with your family.

Sport

MOP
01-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Very tough thing, as if you did not have enough going on. Will speak with you soon.

Phil

mattyboy
01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
our deepest sympathy

Matt Marie Joe and Jamie

Donzigo
01-15-2005, 07:33 AM
RIP..............with sympathy & regrets.

Comfort to you & yours..

mphatc
01-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Our deepest sympathy to you and your entire family. Our thoughts are with you.

Mario & Linds

Walt. H.
01-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank You All Very Much My Dear Friends,

For your thoughts and condolences here and your e-mails. Its a shame that this had to happen but it was her fault even though weather played apart in her death, now others are in pain because of her carelessness i'm sorry to say.

Its all part of life and it happens all to many times to others, just that this time it hit home. It was bound to happen to her sooner or later, we kept telling her the way she drove sooner or later your going to kill yourself or someone else! She lacked concept of what she was doing behind the wheel, always careless fender benders and other wrecks. She used up her 9-lives like a cat I guess. So when I received that phone call, I was shocked but not surprised. Now i'm just feeling bad for my kid brother-inlaw and her family.

Me?: i'm feeling remorseful because I use to call her "a real pain in the ass" for all the dumb or rude things she would do to upset other people around us in our family besides being a poor driver. Now that shes gone, I miss her and wish I could have spoken better of her when she was alive, I never would have imagined I really did liked her after all.

I'm making mention of this besides thanking you all because i'm sure theres someone out there in your own family that might fit her description, and you just might want to re-think your own thoughts as I now wish I could have.

Thank you once again for your condolences,
Yours in Boating,

Walt

Walt. H.
01-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Patti,

I sent you an e- mail.

Thanks,
Walt

Patti
01-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Walt..