PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 22 zx Question

parn100
01-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi,

excellent website. I live in the UK and am interested in purchasing a donzi 22zx within the next year or so from the USA. The main resaon is that there aren't many over here, and prices in the US are far cheaper.

I have done a lot of research into these boats, and they seem excellent.

Can anyone offer any advice on shipping to UK? It would be easier if the boat was purchased on East coast I think.

Also, do donzi not produce the 22zx with the 7.4 MPI any more? the newer ones seem to have the 350 mag in, I suppose the performance isnt much different assuming power: weight? perhaps there is another reason?

many thanks in advance

Jack

Jamesbon
01-14-2005, 07:14 AM
Welcome Jack.

We ship boats to the U.K. all the time, in fact there's one leaving on the 24th. from Jacksonville FL to Bremerhaven. We typically winterize the vessel prior to trucking it to Jacksonville or Miami. Once in J-ville & Miami the boats are loaded onto a freighter and sent overseas. Some customers prefer to have a trailer under their boat, for those who don't, a cradle is needed to support the boat while in transit. Cradle's are typically around $800.00 for a 22' boat. As far as rates, my Swedish client is paying around $3000.00 for shipping a 2001 24' Sea Ray pocket cruiser from Jacksonville FL to Bremerhaven.

Hope this helps!

gcarter
01-14-2005, 07:37 AM
Just by coincidence my neighbors are moving back to England and have packed up their belongings in a container. They are 8' wide, so many of these boats could fit (hopefully). Containors could cost more but give an additional level of security and protect against theft of hardware.
Additionally, they told me if you own the property for six months, you save a significant amount on taxes. :smash:

MOP
01-14-2005, 07:46 AM
As Nate said shipping is not a problem, a bit costly yes. Over the summer I sold a board members boat located in Michigan, the shipper sent the boat to Germany via Canada. He said shipping through Canada saved almost $1000 which made costs very similar to what nate posted, point you can shop the east coast and the great lakes area and keep the costs reasoably inline. It is important to search out a good reputable agent.

Phil

parn100
01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks for your responses, some helpful info there. As for tax, the boat will only be passing through England, it will then move to the Channel Islands, so tax wont have to be paid which is all good news!

Shipping Prices seem reasonable, considering the saving made on the boat itself. One other thing is that US boats on the market in America are not CE marked I believe, although I'm sure that you have your own certification, but as its moving on to the channel Islands, that is no concern either.

I would also be interested in your views on the sea-keeping / rough weather handling of these boats. We get some pretty rough weather in the Channel Island sometimes, hence RIBS being so popular.

Many Thanks

Mudball
01-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi Parn:
The big block engines were discontinued because they are heavy in the rear of the 22ZX. This, in theory, caused more of a possiblity of spinning the boat on high speed sharp turns. I say hogwash, but that's just me. Others have mentioned that. Remember that the 22ZX is a driver's boat. It is NOT a run of the mill little runabout. Do NOT try to turn this boat super sharply at top speed.

I own a 1999 22ZX (bought new) that came with the 7.4MPI engine. It topped out on a good day at 63 on GPS (Almost 70 on the stock Gaffrig II gauges.).

You should see similar top speeds with the 350 Mag, as it is very close in HP.

If your boat comes with a 3 blade prop of any size, and you find that it is very sluggish getting on plane, and at around 60 the boat starts doing funny things, please try a Bravo 4 blade prop. My boat did NOT like the Mirage Plus 3 blade 23p that it came with at all. It would chine walk something bad, and would lay over on it's side at cruise without proper load balance (fat person on one side). But, again I had the BBC in it, and not a small block.

You will LOVE the 22ZX!! It handles the rougher stuff better than any 22 that I have ever driven! It handles like a dream!

Best of luck with yours!
Kent

PS: I installed an HP500 in mine a few months ago! It's now a whole other animal! FUN!!