PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Z29 tearfully for sale

2biguns
01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
New boat (Formula 280SS) is in my driveway and we need to sell the Donzi

1987 Z-29
twin 454's (330hp). Boat re-powered in April, 2002 with less than 100 hours since engines replaced. When we replaced the engines we also rebuilt the starters and alternators and replaced everything looked worn.
Bravo One outdrives with 4 blade Mirage props
Bennet Trim Tabs
Corsa silent choice exhaust
Clarion Marine AM/FM/Cassette/12 disc cd with large amp & subwoofer. Unit mounted in cuddy with remote next to steering wheel. Horizon VHF radio, Kiekhaefer drive/trim indicators, shore power, immaculate cabin
Tandem trailer with four wheel surge brakes.
Full cover and mooring cover
Fresh water only. Boat stored on a lift year-round and has been in water overnight only 4 times since we bought it. Meticulously serviced.

Boat fully serviced in April, 2005, including engine/outdrive service, new belts and new sea pump impellers.

Price reduced to $29,500 on 4/7/05.

e-mail stevencsmith@bellsouth.net
home: (256) 739-2277
office: (256) 734-4721
cell: (256) 708-1666

We're located in central north Alabama 1/2 way between Huntsville and Birmingham.

lmsac00
01-13-2005, 09:27 PM
cute kid, been there good luck.:confused:
The bloodshed is over and the tears (all mine) have finally dried. Amy has convinced me to sell "2biguns" and search for a more family-oriented boat. Stella will be 17 months old when the boating season starts and we want something that she will enjoy more

1987 Z-29
twin 454's–re-powered in April, 2002 with less than 100 hours since engines replaced. When we replaced the engines we also rebuilt the starters and alternators and replaced everything looked worn.
Bravo One o/d with 4 blade Mirage props
Bennet Trim Tabs
Corsa silent choice exhaust
Clarion Marine AM/FM/Cassette/12 disc cd with large amp & subwoofer. Unit mounted in cuddy with remote next to steering wheel.
immaculate cabin
2002 tandem All American aluminum trailer with disc brakes and torsion axles
Full cover and mooring cover
Fresh water only. Boat stored on a lift year-round and has been in water overnight only 4 times since we bought it. Meticulously serviced.

$35,000.00
e-mail stevencsmith@bellsouth.net
home: (256) 739-2277
office: (256) 734-4721

We're located in central north alabama 1/2 way between Huntsville and Birmingham.

Trueser
01-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Steve,
I'm thinking a Z29 is a family boat. Nice looking boat, I was hoping to see you at AOTH some day.

Good luck.

gcarter
01-13-2005, 10:47 PM
"a more family-oriented boat"

Does this mean a 'toon boat with a bimini?
Actually I like bimini's. :)

2biguns
01-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Main problem with the Z-29 is the lack of roaming space for Stella in the cockpit. When it was just Amy and me, it was perfect as we'd either sit together or she'd stretch out in the back seat.

Yes on the bimini but no no no no no on the pontoon. I'll stay home and sit around the pool before I own a pontoon. (Besides, my dad has a 24' deck boat w/ 150 Yamaha--his dedicated son gave him a VERY nice stereo for Father's Day last year with selfish motives).

I'm thinking along the lines of a 280SS Formula or Formula BR. I'd love a 28ZXO but don't need to spend that kind of money right now.

The cuddy on our boat is fantastic (sink, refrigerator, lighting, seating and table) but it's not something we have ever used much. My idea of roughing it is having to stay at a Holiday Inn so there's not much chance of us camping out in the boat.

Who knows. Maybe I'll get not bites and will have no choice but keep her (the boat, that is). :umbrella:

Fish boy
01-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Hey Steve, congratualtions on such a beautiful little girl. Sorry you are considering your Z-29, it is a beautiful boat. Then again, she will grow into it in a couple of years.. :) Good luck with the sale or with keeping it, whatever works out best for you.

Fish

2biguns
01-16-2005, 11:03 AM
If we could magically take 3 feet of the cuddy and move it to the cockpit the 29 would be a perfect boat. Our biggest problem is that I'm so big that I have to keep the front seat(s) all the way back to comfortably drive so there's not a lot of back seat room and Stella is now to the point where she's born to run-keeping her still is not an option.

I've looked at the Formula 280 models (SS or BR) which has massive space in the back. We'll see. If no bites on our's then it's a moot point and a deck boating we will go.....

Trueser
01-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Steve,
More pictures please.

Thanks
MIke

2biguns
01-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Went down to the lake this afternoon to take some pics of the interior of the boat. Boat is on a lift and covered so I did not bother with exterior shots except one to show how it's covered. I've got more if anyone is interested or knows someone who might be in the market. Thanks.
Steve

Mr X
01-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Is it all original gel-coat? Or has it been painted?

2biguns
01-17-2005, 09:00 AM
I believe that the owner before me painted the sides of the boat (from rub rail to edge below water line). From rub rails up is all original and in excellent shape.

The only reason I say it has been painted is that I have never seen a Z-29 that is a solid color--all I have seen have a white stripe. IF it has been painted, they did a great job.

I had a guy lined up to buff the bottom but he got into doing small projects and never had time and I never got back around to doing it.

2biguns
01-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I found one more picture of the boat in my archives.

Donzigo
01-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Steve, what a nice boat!

You should keep it.

Nice finish on the boat.

2biguns
01-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Richard.

The finish is all Zaino Brothers. My most valuable lesson learned to date is NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER wax a 29 foot boat and a crew cab F250 on the same day. Amy had to comb my hair the next morning so I could go to church.

2biguns
02-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Boat still for sale and we don't need two twin-engine boats.

$33,000 and will have the Donzi serviced and install new belts and sea pump impellers for the buyer AND we will donate $500 to the Donzi board if sale comes from here.

Donzigo
02-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Steve,

Is that Zaino brothers stuff a wax?.......................wha?

2biguns
02-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Richard,

Zaino Brothers makes a show car polish that is the greatest stuff ever invented.

www.zainostore.com

On the boat I only used the Z-2 polish as there were no swirl marks to cover. I think I put on 3 coats on the bow and it is wonderful.

On my truck ('99 F250 Superduty) I used the Z-5 swirl remover (and the Z1) and topped it off with the Z2 and it was amazing how good it looked.

donzi182003
02-25-2005, 12:35 PM
I Can Vouch For Zaino. Used The Stuff On My 30th Anniversary Trans Am And You Could See Your Reflection A Mile Away. Bit Pricey, But Worth It.

Ed

Trueser
03-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Steve,
What speed do you get out of the Z29? You really have her set up nice. Do you have any more pictures?

Email me @ Trueser@comcast.net

Thanks Mike

2biguns
03-05-2005, 10:05 AM
I want to say high 60's on the top end. I don't do a lot of WOT because Amy can't stand it. I do know it will easily pull ahead of my buddy's 271 Formula with 502 EFI :smash:

I'll stop by the office in the morning after church and e-mail all the pictures I have. It's so beautiful today (sunny and mid-60's) that I may not be able to resist going down to the lake and taking her for a spin. If we do, I'll get some more shots.

Steve

Trueser
03-23-2005, 06:49 PM
This is a great BOAT,

The engines and drives are already there. The interior is great. The finish on the boat is outstanding.

If I didnt have one of these already I would be making a road trip.

Good luck Steve,

2biguns
03-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the advertisement!

Boat is still for sale. It's at the mechanic right now having the engines serviced with new sea pump impellers and new belts. We used it so little last summer (because of the new baby) that there's really nothing else to fix. After he gets through I'm going to take it to the house and give it a good spring cleaning and waxing. Whoever buys it won't have to do a thing but fill her up and launch. I would fill up the tank but it tows better with less gas.

Trailer had a flat but otherwise everything looks good. I'm willing to drop the price some for the right buyer!

Steve

2biguns
03-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Thank you, my friend.

Going from the Donzi to the Formula has been quite a transformation. We FINALLY launched the Formula 2 weeks ago and let "Mammy and PaPa" (my parents) tend to Stella while Amy and I took a long cruise, just in case something did not go well.

Going from through-hull big blocks to VERY VERY VERY VERY quiet 350's is going to be a tremendous adjustment (although the EFI engines are really great). Driving the 280SS is a very pleasant experience, as opposed to the Donzi which was just down right fun. It's going to take me a LONG time to get used to the Quicksilver controls after having driven dual controls for so long.

I had my doubts until last weekend when the 3 of us took a quick ride. The instant that Stella said "daddy, daddy, boat" and then climbed in my lap and helped md drive made the decision well worth while. Stella then pointed at her mommy go get her and the two of them stretched out on the port bench and Stella took a little snooze.

Steve

Donzigo
03-24-2005, 05:46 PM
.................and that's what it's all about.

Happy times ahead!

olemissalum
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Steve, just think how it will feel when she yells "Roll Tide" for the first time :beer:
Of course you could always send her to Ole Miss!!!! :eek!: :eek!:

2biguns
04-04-2005, 09:01 AM
I spent all day Saturday rubbing on the Donzi. Lightly went over with very mild 3M compound, followed by PerfectIt Glaze and a coat of wax (2 coats on the bow). I thought I was going to have to ask Amy to wash my hair because I could not raise my arms that high :kaioken:

The boat looks better today than it did on the day I bought it. I have a guy who may drive down from Virginia on Saturday to check it out.

2biguns
04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Price reduced to $29,500.00

Ready to empty the driveway so I have a place to park!

2biguns
04-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Guy from Virginia fell through. His wife decided she wants a DECK BOAT. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Boat still available and can be on the lift at the lake for anyone interested in running her (plus that gives me an excuse to go for a spin).

We've put about 10 hours on the Formula and are very pleased. For Amy's birthday we took a long ride with my immediate family (8 adults and 4 kids) and had plenty of room. Kids all took Stella down into the cuddy and had her squealing every time we hit a wave. It was great.

If anyone knows someone looking to move up to a twin engine boat without dropping a hundred grand plus, I think the Z-29 (or 33) is the way to go. I have floated with Formulas, Fountains, Powerquests and Scarabs and never felt out of place or envious, especially knowing that I had about a forth of their investment in our boat. In fact, we never fail to draw attention to the boat, I guess because there are so few of them.

I still am going to donate $500 to this board if I can get a buyer from here. This has been the greatest site I have ever had the privilege of participating in.

Steve

bboersma
04-22-2005, 10:21 AM
great looking boat, if you were closer I would have to take a look..

2biguns
04-22-2005, 10:40 AM
We're less than an hour from both Birmingham and Huntsville airports and I have no problem picking up anyone interested in flying in to take a look.

Cullman to Chicago is about 600 miles. I had a buddy go through the Seminary there. I bought the boat from 2 guys in Sarasota, Florida, after selling my Z-25 to a guy in Palm Springs, Florida. I flew to Sarasota and checked the new one and had a buddy drive the old one to Palm Springs then swing by to pick me up. We hooked the 29 up to a HD2500 2wd Chevy and drug it home. For future reference, I would recommend splitting the Sarasota to North Alabama trip (700 miles) into 2 segments :convertib