PDA

View Full Version : Ford 4x4 RANT...

Lenny
01-11-2005, 11:35 AM
:mad: I am using the Company F-250 4X4 (2003,gas) the last few days here, (my driveway and all) :rolleyes: and i have to say it is the WORST thing I have driven to get around in this stuff !!! :eek:

Now, I don't claim to understand how to drive in the snow, as this is a rare occurance, BUT, I have been "stuck" three times now in what looks like NOTHING. This morning I was digging out of things like 1"-2" blips in the hard pack as it would just sit there and spin. Yes, the hubs are locked, yes, I tried both high and low. Is there no way to have FULL time 4 wheels spinning instead of transfering from corner to corner?

Is it this things tires? They are like new.

Seriously, I was on about a 1/12 grade and it wasn't going anywhere. I had to break little bumps out of the driveway so that I could get a 10mph run at it and get onto the paved road. (clear)

Neighbours are running around in Subarus', Pathfinders, Hondas' etc.

I am getting close to going on a killing spree here.

I'll tell you this. If I lived where it snowed every year, I wouldn't. :mad:

Boxy and Ed, I don't want to hear it ;)

SNOW :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Rootsy
01-11-2005, 12:16 PM
i donno lenny.. i think it is just you... my F150 with nearly bald tires has no issues :biggrin: and i have well over a foot of snow in the yard... :umbrella:

that thing has lockable hubs? did you make sure you engaged 4WD in the cab TOO? and not all tires are created equal but DAMMMMMN

JR - 50 tomorrow :boggled:

boxy
01-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey, whiney boy...,

Call Buizilla, he can tell ya how to drive in snow... :jestera: :shocking: :alligator :cistineb:

...or my wife.

Lenny, something is not right. Either something is not engaging, or something is broken.
Good luck.....

MOP
01-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Lenny I know you said it was a company truck but by chance does it have taller tires on the rear axle? I had a friend that did that and the 4X4 ends up working against its self. You have to watch yourself on ice they can be tricky, I drove 4X4 for over 40 years. Sold my last one two years ago don't miss it one bit am perfectly happy with posi. One of my best friends owns a local body shop, every time it snows he get a good helping of SUV's said they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Phil

Team Jefe
01-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Lenny - I used to like you, HM even had great things to say about you....but dissin' Fords can not be tolerated on any respectable forum.....

.....So, Off with your head, banned from the Donzi Registry, get a bayliner and a Rice burning truck...bye :wavey: :D

Lenny
01-11-2005, 04:56 PM
MOP, just to make me more :mad: , the tires are called General, get this, "GRABBER A/W".

I think they were trying to be funny when they put these on.

I spent the afternoon shoveling part of my driveway as I can't go through this again. With a 500' driveway, uphill, and about 24" of snow, it is not going to get cleared anytime soon and the local Bobcat/Loader dudes will destroy the relatively new surface below so I am NOT having one of them run up and down it :eek:

Warm up please, warm up... :(

Ed Donnelly
01-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Lenny; I respect your wishs. Damn have to go, just got a service call. Will have to jump into my F150, 2 wheel drive, and plow through the foot of snow we just got. Talk to you soon...................................Ed

BUIZILLA
01-11-2005, 08:56 PM
how much air ya got in them there balloons you call tires?? :cool!: :spongebob

Darrell
01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Lenny - I used to like you, HM even had great things to say about you....but dissin' Fords can not be tolerated on any respectable forum.....

.....So, Off with your head, banned from the Donzi Registry, get a bayliner and a Rice burning truck...bye :wavey: :D

98% of all Fords are still on the road today...........only 2% made it home.

Sorry Jefe just the GM dealer in me.

Walt. H.
01-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Lenny,

This just might explain why your having your unbelievable situation.

Just by chance? Since it is a company truck its quite possible the front driveshaft has been removed. Sounds dumb, :bonk: but I have seen many fleet vehicles issued this way to prevent employees from doing any off roading on company time. Take a look underneath at the area between the tranfer case and the front differential, see if the drive shaft is there or not.

I just drove home from work tonight thru-5" of this soft wet white stuff no sweat and you can too,

Walt :wavey:

Cuda
01-12-2005, 05:25 AM
I have zero experience driving in snow, but in mud, tires make all the difference. You can get through more places in 2wd with good tires, than 4wd with street tires.

Team Jefe
01-12-2005, 05:40 AM
98% of all Fords are still on the road today...........only 2% made it home.

Sorry Jefe just the GM dealer in me.

OK Scot, we have candidate #2 for Excommunication from the Registry

Ed Donnelly
01-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Darrell; I've owned Fords for the last 8 years(Pantera 351 ford 32 years) but, that was just too funny.........Ed

boxy
01-12-2005, 10:41 AM
Darrell; I've owned Fords for the last 8 years(Pantera 351 ford 32 years) .......Ed

Is that cause you love them, or can't get rid of them ....... :D

Number 3 reporting for duty........ :kyle:

Lenny
01-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Soooo, last night, I had to "fill" an emergency order of shelving for a Government Ministry for an install this morning. No question, it had to be done.

So I get my old trusty GMC van out of the parking lot where I left it 4 days ago, and fire it up as I needed to get materials (sheet goods) in order to complete the order. So I get 19 sheets of 1/8" hardboard and 19 sheets of 5/8" Medite (MDF), and start my trek home. :rolleyes: Anyways, I pick up my gal from her work and we make it to the BOTTOM of my driveway where I get stuck. (two wheel drive, 350 3/4 ton van) This vehicle was no worse than the Ford 4X by the way in this stuff. So, then I start the task of carrying 38 sheets of wood up my 500' driveway in two feet of snow, uphill in my gum-boots :mad: one at a time except for the 1/8" which I did in 3's. The dog would help too and try and run into my legs to up-end me but I prevailed. So, anyways, after about 2 hours of trudging up and down the driveway it was all in the shop. At this point my gal came outside and said she was going to dig the van out. So we tried and tried to get it off the road and fully onto our driveway, as I would back up as fast as I could only to end up in the exact same place as I started before the digging. I said to her, at this point ready to KILL anything that lived, why is it always falling off to that side? What do you see?, what is happening when I come flying back? No matter how hard I try and steer it out it ends up there.

SO, SHE SAYS TO ME, YOU'RE NOT STEERING WITH YOUR FRONT TIRES... Silence overcomes me, and I look at her with a giant "huh ?" and bewilderment.

She says to me "you don't steer with your front tires when you are backing up." :bonk: :banghead: I pretty much came unglued. I explained the concept to her in my "outside voice" and brought up the AWS (all wheel steering) that is available these days. She says to me, oh ! you mean All Wheel Drive :bonk: I left it at that. No more digging. No more conversation. So, at midnight, and 228 shelves later and 19 hardboard panels sized, I had cut and loaded the van. In all, 56 return trips up and down the driveway of some 500' in two feet of snow, walking in the 8" wide groove left by driving the Ford out of the driveway at the beginning of the snowfall 4 days ago. 10.6 miles in all loaded, in the snow. The only saving grace was I put a case of beer outside on the snow covered deck of the 16 so everytime I came back up the hill there was a "treat" for me. :D This morning, I noticed that there were none left. :boggled:

Yes, I want the snow gone now thank you very much... :(

turbo2256
01-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Only about a foot of snow here and have been all over the place in my Grand Marquis. Took my truck out one time 4 weel drive not hooked up both are milling through it all.

turbo2256
01-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Darrell; I've owned Fords for the last 8 years(Pantera 351 ford 32 years) but, that was just too funny.........Ed

Speaking of Panteras do you know my friend Chris Tromba?

Rootsy
01-12-2005, 03:04 PM
yup, sure is hard to steer when the front tires have no pressure on the ole ground... little hi-centered eh... time for a snowblower? how bout a YOOPER SCOOPER? :rlol:

Blewbyu
01-12-2005, 07:48 PM
That's what the snow in the Northwest is called.Very heavy when it falls-extremely high water content.Once you drive over it once it becomes greased lightning.Was behind a new VW bug last week,in the center lane of the freeway,stopped.
Suddenly,the bug began to move....sideways, and slid into the roadside ditch! Simply from the crown of the road! Two other cars and a pickup followed shortly thereafter.Amazingly enough, none hit other vehicles during their sideways moves.Then, that evening when the temp dropped into the 20's, the whole mess FROZE to the hardness of cement, hence "Cascade Concrete". :kaioken:
Damn Lenny! You got 2 FEET? It's hot an' dusty down here in the Seattle zone-it's all going around us! See you have been getting pretty substantial winds thru the Straights, and then the Northeasters come back and blow it back out again.Seems like you guys got the "Convergent Area" from
Bellingham to mid Vancouver Island.Hope it lets up soon fer ya.
FYI- people from the Northwest can drive in ANYBODY ELSE's
snow without breaking a sweat, and without making square cornered cars into round cornered cars.YEAH!

Blewbyu
01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
A lot Lenny. Good mileage tires because of their "hard rubber", but lousy in the rain and snow' near lethal on ice.Don' blame it on the Ford. Gotta friend that lives in Whistler year around, and commutes to Vancouver DAILY in a fairly new F250 diesel 4X4.THAT is one nasty commute in the winter, and he hasn't had a problem. He does use studs in the winter tho.

ToonaFish
01-12-2005, 08:12 PM
FORD:
Fast On Race Day
First On Race Day
Fantasizes On Race Day
Fast Only Rolling Downhill
Forever On Rolling Development
Family Orientated Rusting Demon
Fearful Of Real Danger
Ferociously Over Rated Dunger
F**ked On Race Day
Forgotten On Race Day
Found On Rubbish Dump
Found On Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily
Flying Onto Rubbish Dump
First On Road Dead
Feared On Race Day
Fixed On Race Day
Flavour On Race Day
Flying On Race Day
Favoured On Race Day
Favourite On Race Day
Farts On Race Day
Fumes On Race Day
First Onto Rubbish Dump
Flip Over Read Directions
F**ked Over Rebuilt Dodge
backwards -- Driver Returns On Foot
First On Recall Day
First On Rust & Deterioration
Fault Of R&D
Features O.J. & Ron's DNA
Found On Russian Dump
F**king On Road Disaster
F**ked On Road Disaster
Flooded Old Roasted Dunger
For Old Retired Dickheads
For Old Retarded Dudes
Famous On Race Day
Found On Race Day
Flogged On Race Day
Fire On Race Day
F**ked Over Race Design
Fetish Over Realising Danger
First On Rust Duty
Found On Ray's Drive
Flips On Race Day
Friends Of Rotary Drivers
Friends Of Rotary Dorks
Fails On Rusty Doors
Friends Of Rusty Drivers
Friends Of Rusty Dorks
Friends Of Rover Drivers
Friends Of Rover Dorks
Friends Of Rally Dorks
Friends Of Rally Drivers
Flies On Rusty Doors
Flying On Rusty Doors
First On Rusty Doors
Famous Old Rusty Doors
First Overall Rust Deterioration
Faithful Old Rusty Doors
Four Old Rusty Doors
F**kin' Old Rusty Dunger/s
Fearful Of Rover Drivers
Fearful Of Rotary Drivers
Fearful Of Rally Drivers
Faints On Race Day
For Old Retarded Dorks
For Old Retired Dorks
For Old Retarded Dickheads
Found On Railroad Deserted
Found On Roadside Dead
Flipped Over Russian Dunebuggy
Factory Ordered Road Disaster
backwards -- Dorks Ride On Fords
Factory Ordered Rebuilt Dodge
Ford Owner Really Dumb
Faithful Old Rusting Dungers
Favourite Of Reject Division
Farting Old Reckless Design
Falls Onto Recycling Dump
Fearful Of Recycling Dumps
Flies Onto Recycling Dump
Flying Onto Recycling Dump
First Onto Recycling Dump
Famous Old Recycled Dungers
Famous Old Rejected Dungers
Fearful Of Rapid Destruction
Fearful Of Rampant Destruction
For Only Retired Designers
For Only Retarded Designers
Favourite Of Recycle Department
Favourite Of Rain Directors
Famous Old Recycled Dirtbags
Filthy Old Rattling Dungers
Famous Old Rattling Design
Filthy Old Rattling Dungers
Filthy Old Rattling Design
First On Rapid Deterioration
Favourite On Rapid Deterioration
Famous Old Rejected Design
Filthy Old Rejected Design
Finest Of Reject Department
First Of Rejected Deliveries
Frightened Of Real Designs
Frightful Of Right Decision
Fearful Of Real Decision
F**kin' Old Rooted Design
Feared Old Rotary Destructer
Feared Old Rotary Devastator
Favourite Of Ramp Derbies
Flies Off Ramps Directly
Falls Off Ramps Directly
Flops Off Ramps Directly
Flips Off Ramps Directly
Flies Off Ramps Daily
Falls Off Ramps Daily
Flops Off Ramps Daily
Flips Off Ramps Daily
Flies Off Ramps Dangerously
Falls Off Ramps Dangerously
Flops Off Ramps Dangerously
Flips Off Ramps Dangerously
Fearful Of Real Directions
Favourite Of Rice Drivers
Falls On Ramp Derbies
Fearful Of Ramp Derbies
Flops Onto Rotten Drains
Fearful Of Red Dots
Floating Old Rusting Derelict
Floppy Old Rented Design
backwards -- Drivers Rely On Fat
backwards-- Driven Regularly On Fat
Flattened Old Rusting Dunger
backwards -- Datsun Rules Over Ford
backkwards -- Dont Ride Over Fifty
backwards -- Danged Roaches Outrun Ford
Found Off Road Dead
Favourite Of Rogue Dealerships
Favourite Of Ripoff Dealers
Favourite On Road Damaged
First On Road Damaged
Filthy Old Rusting Demon
Fearful Of Racing Damage
Favourite Of Rust Damage
Fearful Of Reclaimation Developments
Favourite Of Reclaimation Developments
Falls Off Road Deliberately
Flies Off Road Deliberately
Flips Off Road Deliberately
Floppy Old Rattling Dunger
Floppy Old Rattly Dunger
Flames On Race Day
Fire On Race Day
Fearful Of Rain Days
Frightened On Rainy Days
Fell Off Rear Deck
F**kin' Opposed Race-Stewards Decision
Forced Open Rear Door
Feel Obliged Race Dudette
Funding Only Real Disasters
F**k Off, Race Director!
Front Or Rear Damage
Flats On Race Day

MOP
01-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Daammmnnn Toona JEFE may just do a road trip in your direction, maybe you should get out of town!

"FORD"!

MOP

Ranman
01-12-2005, 09:19 PM
PONTIAC = Poor Old N Thought It's A Cadillac

ToonaFish
01-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Daammmnnn Toona JEFE may just do a road trip in your direction, maybe you should get out of town!

"FORD"!

MOP

I should be so lucky. Oh, wait, he drives a Ford, no chance of that...

Ed Donnelly
01-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Toona; only 164 slams? Surely you can do better than that.
After all, we are talking about Fords..............Ed

turbo2256
01-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Chevy ...... Steering might not work :shocking:

Team Jefe
01-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Well Scotty boy - I see we have anarchy in the registry :splat: . Apparently seeming normal individuals have completely lost their minds and are making a mockery of things.

IMHO, it is high time you put your foot down and quell this insurgency before its gets completely out of hand.

I mean my god man. Toona? They even got to my sweet little ToonaBaby, its like she's a stranger to me :bonk: …..Darrell & Boxy are no surprise, I always had a bad feeling about them anyway, and Ed…Well can we just say "Judas"……..BUT TOONA?

The Donzi world is coming apart at the seams and you my friend need to call upon you Web-god powers and calm the storm.

Scott Pearson
01-13-2005, 07:47 AM
GTO
"Get Tools Out"

Scott
LGDCC

Rootsy
01-13-2005, 09:51 AM
Toona, you forgot one...

F****ing Old Rusty Dodge

but then there is GMC... ahem

Gay Man Cruiser...

JR - still driving the blue oval...

Jack Frost
01-13-2005, 10:10 AM
hehe see what a little snow does
it livens things up around here,

for Lenny

SNOW

Sliding North of Washington

boxy
01-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I'd rather push my ford then be seen in a Chevy..

That works out well for you, doesn't it.........:kyle:

onesubdrvr
01-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Cheap Heap, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time

ummm, but not in a Donzi,...

Wayne

Team Jefe
01-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Toona; only 164 slams? Surely you can do better than that.
After all, we are talking about Fords..............Ed

He may drive Fords, but he's dissin' them...thus JUDAS

Team Jefe
01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
That works out well for you, doesn't it.........:kyle:

You hold him down Mad Dog and I'll beat him with a Pontoon :smash: .

Oh and Jack.....I almost forgot, thanks for the White Christmas in SE Texas......NOW GO AWAY ! ! ! !

lee
01-13-2005, 05:25 PM
i'l tell you but it will cost you one cowl vent

gcarter
01-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't a couple of hundred punds of salt fix Lenny's problem.
That would be a whole lot easier than hiking up the hill a jillion times with plywood.

MOP
01-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I am sitting here with a big :biggrin.: ! When I talk to Lenny he says hell we got "Palm Trees" never snows don't get cold LOL! That said Lenny you have to admit it is pretty :garfield: Lad you need some sun :smileybo:

MOP

Last Tango
01-13-2005, 09:35 PM
In West Virginia it means "Found Our Real Daddy!" (truly a rare occurance there).

Lenny
01-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, tonight I stopped for a couple of sodas on the way home, as I am feeling better and the therapy is starting to help. :D

Anyways, we (Deneen and I) get home in the old Van today, cuz the other two vehicles are stuck at the top of my driveway for what will probably be another week or so, :rolleyes: and we are met by a freshly (finally) cleared street. The plows did WELL :yes:

But, there is now a 3' high pile of ice about 6' in horizontal width at the entrance to my driveway. :eek: So, when you consider I don't care what happens to this "mule" vehicle the Demo Derby Dude came out in me , (ok, maybe it was the pints :) ) and I drove back and forth, forward and back and got it lined up PERFECTLY to "blow" through this pile of $hit and back into my somewhat OK spot about 20' off the road.

So, all is set, I nestle the front bumper into the opposite bank so I get maximum room to accelerate and there we go. About 20+ MPH in reverse like the Ice Breaker she is I blow through the snow(ice) bank and quickly realize that it is much like concrete. Wheels are spinning after this thunderous crash, and then I break out in uncontrollable laughter as this was actually FUN.

We get out of the van, I look at it, and can now see a job for first thing in the AM. It is now high centered, almost perfectly on about 2' of ice so in fact I now have a 17', 4000 lb teeter-totter.

Oh, and Phil... the Palm is doing just fine, the Basjoo Banana is showing signs of E.D. tho,...and I don't mean you Ed. :D

This will end soon. It has to :(

Ed Donnelly
01-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Jefe,Jefe,Jefe;I owned Fords before you were born.
Heard all the shams 40yrs ago. I wasn't dissen em, just wondered if there were any new ones after 40yrs.
Sticks and stones EH???.....Judas

Team Jefe
01-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Jefe,Jefe,Jefe;I owned Fords before you were born.
Heard all the shams 40yrs ago. I wasn't dissen em, just wondered if there were any new ones after 40yrs.
Sticks and stones EH???.....Judas

Ed - you simply can not encourage Toona. She is a sick little girl...Deranged...not well at all. We have to remain united in our stance for her sake. She must be made to see the error of her ways.

Encouraging her only delays the healing process :lookaroun

Besides - did they have trucks 40 years ago? :biggrin: I always thought it was those big steam tractors or mule teams

Ed Donnelly
01-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Jefe; 40 yrs. ago we had Ford trucks up here in the north.
But, still relied on our trusty dog sleds in the winter..ex-Judas

ToonaFish
01-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Lenny, here is something for you to do that is warm, whilst letting off a bit of steam...

http://pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/snow.html

Jefe, you'll be pleased to know that I wrote something about Ford on that site...

boxy
01-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Lenny, I'm guessing your snow is gone now ..... :D
Have you started on the ark yet ?

Lenny
01-18-2005, 09:02 AM
aaaahhhh :) :) :) :) :)

We have had a 43 degree spread in the last three days. Last night (50-ish) it was T-shirt temperature outside compared to last week. 7 F :stan: to now 50 F. :D Snow is melting now, and I got all three vehicles moved out of the driveway and back up the driveway :D

I should be OK now. Man, I don't EVER want to see that happen again. :beer:

Looks like it is someone elses turn now...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,144684,00.html

Team Jefe
01-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Lenny, here is something for you to do that is warm, whilst letting off a bit of steam...

http://pi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/snow.html

Jefe, you'll be pleased to know that I wrote something about Ford on that site...

See Eddie, this is exactly what I'm talking about......

Toona - you need a good Woopin' little girl.