PDA

View Full Version : Tunes in the 18's

Audiofn
01-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I am looking to do some tunes in my 18 but REFUSE to cut any holes in the boat. What have you guys done?

Jon

David O
01-11-2005, 06:21 AM
I listen to the sounds of nature and on the water there is plenty, takes no power, amps, speakers, holes in the boat etc. then when the urge hits to crank it up. I fire up the SBC 350, 4 inch through the hull exhaust and go for a run. Does one really need more tunes than that in a DONZI?

ChromeGorilla
01-11-2005, 06:50 AM
This is what I do in my 22 when were raftin up or just chillin out. I got somethin like this. Small portable CD player works great.

JP BRESCIA
01-11-2005, 08:01 AM
I will get back to you when I figure something out. I have the same issue. Except I intend to have XM Sat Radio as well to check up on the races on the weekends.

Marlin275
01-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Don't cut holes
here on the street we use this
Now you can dance on your Donzi, anytime :biggrin:

DickB
01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
I am looking to do some tunes in my 18 but REFUSE to cut any holes in the boat. What have you guys done?

Jon
I thought the same but could not find a place to mount a stereo that was both accessible and did not interfere. I tried. Hard.

The factory does cut holes for stereos and in fact in my boat holes for the speakers were already factory cut, just covered up with vinyl. I relented and went with it.

Moody Blu'
01-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Why dont you put a elan hd system in it with mulifunction key pad :biggrin:

DONZI
01-12-2005, 03:35 PM
AUDIO,
You need to see a pic.of BVERD'S X-18 radio set-up.I believe it is a remote like Moody mentioned.Maybe someone has a pic..Here is a pic. of his dash before radio installation. To show the 1st class caliber of work he has done.

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-12-2005, 05:23 PM
I always thought someone should design a portable fiberglass radio box that would nestle into the ski tray of an 18':

-It could have enough space in front to mount a typical car stereo and the speakers could be mounted on the sides.
-Once the stereo and speakers are installed, all one would need to do is fabricate a quick connect for power.
-The bottom would be shaped to conform to the contours of the ski tray and have a non slip cushioned pad so it doesn't shift.
-Maybe there could be some handles molded into the box.
-I know a great glass guy in central NJ who could pop a mold once a plug was made.

Sounds like a good project for Scott and Cliff.

FR

Moody Blu'
01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
AUDIO,
You need to see a pic.of BVERD'S X-18 radio set-up.I believe it is a remote like Moody mentioned.Maybe someone has a pic..Here is a pic. of his dash before radio installation. To show the 1st class caliber of work he has done.

looks like a water proof steering mounted volume control.

yea maybe a elan touch screen :hyper:

Im thinking maybe one of those sony toggle joysticks would work great. it would have to be made waterproof some how. :confused:

I like barrel backs idea i have thought about something like that also. perhaps in the floorright in front of the ski area at an angle. Im not sure if the gas tank is underneath that area.

WAIT A SECOND I GOT IT!!

barrel backs idea gave me some insight. it could be done two ways, a custom molded stereo enclosing shaped exactly like the end mold of the ski storage. extended long enough to fit a radio. this could be done two ways, either fiberglassed into the exsisting ski mold or the old ski mold cut out and new mold fiberglassed in extended to fit where old ski mold was cut out)

i just made a drawing in ms paint .

FlatRacer, aka BarrelBack
01-12-2005, 06:24 PM
No. No modification of the existing hull. Just something portable that fits into the ski tray but looks like it's supposed to be there (same gelcoat color, style, etc.).

FR

DickB
01-12-2005, 09:55 PM
That would be cool, but I use that spot for ... skis.

Moody Blu'
01-12-2005, 10:53 PM
That would be cool, but I use that spot for ... skis.
yea it wouldnt take any area up for skiis since it will be moved forward, look at the ms paint picture

DickB
01-13-2005, 06:50 AM
I looked at the drawing before I posted. It wasn't clear to me where this would fit if you did not cut and fiberglass. I was responding about the suggestion to make a drop-in unit with no alterations to the boat.

This area was the prime location that I considered. I did not see how to put a stereo in this area without interfering with ingress/egress. There is not much clearance in height from the ski tray to the bottom of the dash. I couldn’t come up with any way to put a stereo in this space without limiting access unacceptably for me. I even mocked up a stereo mount then tried stowing and retrieving skis. It wasn’t working for me.

My take is that if you’re willing to sacrifice some of this space, a drop-in box would be a neat solution. If space is important, don’t go there.

MOP
01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
I did some net poking and found some links for wireless remote units that should work, it may be a little inconvenient loading CD's and looking at the LED but hidden. If a shelf were made on top of the ski off to one side a radio could be mounted set back slightly as not to interfere with egress, speakers could be mounted under the dash facing down for a complete hidden installation. Not sure of how good some of these are but worth a look, try to buy any unit locally it beats the hell out of dealing with someone far away for any warraentee work.

http://www.rocktheboatelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?action=link&product=24297
http://www.holtmarinesystems.com/Audio%20Parts.htm
http://www.bethel-marine.com/PolyPlanar_Stereo1.htm
http://www.marineworksaudio.com/marinedecks.html
http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/dept/04-002/AM_FM_CD_Rados.htmi

Phil

JP BRESCIA
01-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I have considered many of the options and researched quite a bit of systems with remotes. The same issue kept coming up. If I position the unit out of the way and use a remote, how do I know the station or change the CD? This is what led me to my post "SAT RADIO SETUPS" 1/3/05. There are a few different SAT Radio units that have FM Modulators(sends the Sat signal to a nearby fm radio). This way the FM receiver can be mounted vitually anywhere on the boat and rec'v the Sat Signal from the Sat receiver. There is a new line of XM Sat Radio portable/personal SAT Receivers with the Antenna and FMmodulator built in. Basically a walkman type unit with a display of the channel, artist, etc.
My thought was to install an FM radio(no need for a cd if I have Sat) way up front under the bow. Purchase the portable/personal XM Sat receiver along with two mounts, one for my car and one for the boat. There are alot of different mounts available many of which are non-permanent. Some are pretty cool in fact using hi perf suction cups and the like. The only issue is controlling the volume. I want that to be remote as well.

Audiofn
01-16-2005, 10:54 PM
I have considered many of the options and researched quite a bit of systems with remotes. The same issue kept coming up. If I position the unit out of the way and use a remote, how do I know the station or change the CD? This is what led me to my post "SAT RADIO SETUPS" 1/3/05. There are a few different SAT Radio units that have FM Modulators(sends the Sat signal to a nearby fm radio). This way the FM receiver can be mounted vitually anywhere on the boat and rec'v the Sat Signal from the Sat receiver. There is a new line of XM Sat Radio portable/personal SAT Receivers with the Antenna and FMmodulator built in. Basically a walkman type unit with a display of the channel, artist, etc.
My thought was to install an FM radio(no need for a cd if I have Sat) way up front under the bow. Purchase the portable/personal XM Sat receiver along with two mounts, one for my car and one for the boat. There are alot of different mounts available many of which are non-permanent. Some are pretty cool in fact using hi perf suction cups and the like. The only issue is controlling the volume. I want that to be remote as well.

There are many units that have remotes with displays. Clarion Marine and Sony are two that come to mind off the top of my head. I think that MB Quart and even Jenson now have them as well. The XM was a thought that I was also looking into. Some of them have RCA outs and you could just run them to the amp and just have that. I have to waite tell I get the boat out of storage and take a look. I think that there are some things that I may come up with when I can see the boat again. I have some thoughts that are way more difficult but like I said I DO NOT want to modify the boat at all.

Jon

Audiofn
01-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Doesn't Sony make a remote that fits in a standard gauge cut out??

Sony did a LONG time ago. Most recently Clarion did. However that all changed when they went to the units with the digital displays. Clarion used to make a unit for I think Sea Ray that was guage size and had the display but they are only wood grain as far as I know. The new Sony's are a little smaller then a hockey puck and the Clarion unit is oval in shape. www.clarion.com then go to the marine area.

Jon

Audiofn
01-17-2005, 01:31 PM
Ooops they changed them again back to round. I will try and find out the dimensions.

Jon