PDA

View Full Version : Ford to Chevy switch

maddad
01-10-2005, 08:23 PM
My ford motor had to come out for repair and I decided the motor going back in will be a Chevy.I have a Chevy to Volvo bellhousing and a 350sbc motor.I need advise on brand and source for the missing pieces.I still need exhaust,distributor/ign.,alt.and bracket,pulleys and motor mounts.This is going in an 18'w/a280 drive.If you've got the same set up,and you're happy with what you're using,please help point me in the right direction.Thanks.

Sierra
01-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I am doing the same. But I found on old boat with the chevy set up and saving a munch.

Ricardo

maddad
08-25-2005, 09:08 PM
My boat is running again.I double checked everything and started it up on a hose today.It started the instant I hit the key,has good oil pressure and no leaks.As soon as I get a free minute,I'm putting it in the water to see how the whole set up works. I'm not sure I'm gonna get to sleep tonight,I feel like a kid the day before Christmas!

MOP
08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Mike I can't wait to see how the Tempest runs in an 18.

Phil

maddad
08-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Phil,it runs like a champ on the hose,but when it's tied to the dock it won't draw water up the leg to feed the motor.There's a new impeller,tight hose clamps,and me here scratching my head wondering what the HHHH is going on.

mattyboy
08-26-2005, 09:54 PM
does it have a raw water pump and a circulating pump???

MOP
08-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Phil,it runs like a champ on the hose,but when it's tied to the dock it won't draw water up the leg to feed the motor.There's a new impeller,tight hose clamps,and me here scratching my head wondering what the HHHH is going on.

Mike maybe the impeller spun on the hub, you can pull the cover and bump it over to see if the shaft is turning but not the blades.

Phil

maddad
08-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Phil,I took a look at the arrows on the pumps cover,the ones that let you know which side is the inlet,felt more than a little silly,and fixed my water problem.Matty,no more circ. pump.Iput on a stainless marine crossover.Now i just have to find where the pint of oil in the bilge came from.It looks like the rubber seal at the oil adapter.I'm going outside right now to fix it between the rain drops.