PDA

View Full Version : Is an Alpha 1 SS worth the $$$ ?

jg480
01-10-2005, 04:25 PM
While having my 1st generation Alpha One drive serviced at a local dealer the owner tried talking me into upgrading to a rebuilt Alpha One SS drive he had in back. The dealer claimed I could see a 7mph increase in top end but I would need to install a seawater pump to ensure sufficent cooling. Have any of you speed freaks out there done this conversion or currently use this drive? I would be interested in knowing how it would work on an 18' classic with a stock 350 mag. :lookaroun

Rootsy
01-10-2005, 04:37 PM
HELL YEAH (but exactly how much $$$)... and it should have a waterpump setup, internally, the same as your straight alpha... unless someone removed and blocked it off... cooling is NOT the issue.. sucking weeds into the low water pickups which blocks water suction is....

7 mph is about on the money... bolt on and go... yes it is that simple... oh and maybe a bit of prop testing and tuning...

JR

Sam
01-10-2005, 06:54 PM
"Is it worth it" you be the judge. It all depends on what your objectives are. If your looking for relatively cheap speed gains then YES it's worth it. But there are trade off's, I have listed some of them below as I see them............. and yes I own one.

1. Handeling will be different than your stock drive due the higher X dimension. I.E. take offs may be slower, more prone to blow outs in turns ect. Proping is key !

2. Due to the low water pick up's you will pick up more weeds risking over heating unless you have a raw water pump setup.

3. Choosing the right prop is criitical due to the higher X dem.

4. Not all replacement components are available from a dealer you will have to buy trade and beg.

5. They do not like high tourqe / hp set up's as wells big air wake jumping................. oh almost forgot add wood to the list, right Jamie.

Keep in mind that all boats / set ups are different. Yours may react totaly different than mine or Doug Luvins. Doug's 18 runs well in excess of 400hp @ 5500rpm plus through his and has no problems other than banging a rock our two........ ouch. Jamie has tried to grenade his with screaming 80mph runs but no deal. I personaly run 375 hp or so through mine with only weed problems to report. Personally I think it's worth the risk but I still keep my Alpha Genn II in the garage just incase.

Sam

Cuda
01-10-2005, 07:25 PM
The last couple I saw sold went for just over a grand I think.

Jerry Eisele
01-11-2005, 05:12 PM
I paid $2,000.00 last year. My 18 runs great with the SS, stock 260 Merc. It does like to eat grass!! :yes:

MR MAGOO
01-11-2005, 05:32 PM
There getting pretty rare. Most of the ones I've seen were @2k

I put one on my '87 22 Pachanga and actually lost 3 mph on the top end and cavitated like mad out of the hole. I went back to the stock Alpha. I guess the "X" dimention was pretty high on them right from the factory.

BUIZILLA
01-11-2005, 08:58 PM
best thing you could possibly do to an 18, IMO.

JH

Ranman
01-11-2005, 09:30 PM
best thing you could possibly do to an 18, IMO.

JH

Unless of course, there's already a Bravo hanging off the back. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: