PDA

View Full Version : Ford head gaskets

JimG
01-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Took the Donzi out yesterday, running great, gorgeous day...

Blew a head gasket! Got water pouring our of the head/block joint, near the exhaust. Pulled the valve covers, and checked the oil. (I had changed it that morning.) Just a tiny bit of water, not chocolate milk. Pulled the plugs, looked great. The engine was still running great whenI flushed it. So it looks like just a head gasket to me.

What are the marine head gaskets of choice for a 351W?

Thanks!!

Jim

f_inscreenname
01-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Big discussion over this on another board I am on. The consensus was a average Fel-Pro from a local auto parts store is composite made and salt water/marine use has no affect on it. I have also used them for years in every motor I have built. My last boat I built a 351W for it. 3 years use from me and 4 years use by new owner with no failures. I see it on a river I go to a couple times a year, when there I make a point to stop pass his pier to check the old girl out. The new owner was there last fall and said that the boat was one of his best buys. Never gave him any trouble.

DonziNUTS
01-10-2005, 02:55 PM
The kit I ordered had the same Felpro gasket set that was in the marine set. I think there are no difference...might be wrong but the felpro have the seat around the cylinder is steel rest of it some kind of material.

JimG
01-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Summit lists a Felpro with a copper insert. That's the one I'll get...

MOP
01-11-2005, 09:30 AM
I got my Felpros for the 302 at my local auto parts, they listed the marine I think they were about $40. One nice thing is they only require the initial torqing, save have to pull tings apart for re-torque. I guess others also make 1 torques, mine are still fine after 4 years. New owner is now enjoying them.

Phil