PDA

View Full Version : Sea Strainer

Sam
01-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm looking for a good quality high volume sea strainer that has easy access to the filter. If anyone has one laying around let me know.

THX
Sam

MOP
01-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Sam you may want to consider the strainer below, a very good unit easy to clean. You can find them out there about $100 if you shop.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Perko+493+Sea+Water+Intake+Strainer.html

Sam
01-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks MOP, looks just like the ones I had on the Mother Ship. I've been looking all over for them I guess I should have called you first :banghead: >

THX
Sam

Jerry Eisele
01-09-2005, 06:17 AM
Sam, Are you going with a seawater pump?

Jerry

Sam
01-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Jerry, yes I am. I wasted to much time last year cleaning weeds out not to mention the risk placed on the motor.

Sam

rustnrot
01-09-2005, 10:11 AM
If you want to consider plastic, I have the following in 1.25" for $55 shipped.

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m&action=GoBPage&id=77457F

Jerry Eisele
01-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Sam, Could you give me your # I'd like to go step by step on the install. Doug said to run the ss drive pump and exit it out the side near the belge pump outlet. Then have a pick up for the sea water pump, strainer, sea water pump and then thru the engine and out the exhaust. Dougs outdrive man said this would keep the top of the drive cool.

Jerry

MOP
01-09-2005, 02:39 PM
An important step, anyone using a metal strainer hook it into your grounding/bonding system to help with the electrolysis issue. This is especially important with S/S types, they do well in fresh but do not fair well in salt. The Perkos being bronze do well in both salt & fresh, but adds another dissimilar metal into the mix and makes it equally important to bond and maybe even drill the cap for a pencil zinc. Even the fresh water boys have seen an upsurge in electrolysis in many areas, any metal part that comes into contact with the water flow needs some protection.

Phil

MOP
01-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Sam, Could you give me your # I'd like to go step by step on the install. Doug said to run the ss drive pump and exit it out the side near the belge pump outlet. Then have a pick up for the sea water pump, strainer, sea water pump and then thru the engine and out the exhaust. Dougs outdrive man said this would keep the top of the drive cool.

Jerry

Jerry I have routed the drive water from several drives back out a 3/4" tube centered over the drive with the end bent downward so it shoots down on the drive. I have done it with and without retaining the drive pump, on plane the drive does a decent job of supplying water without the pump. Some tap off the sea water pump to a cap, I am considering using a pressure relief valve after the pump and shooting the water to the drive. Geo brought up the high pressure issue awhile back, Big Griz stated just how high even I was amazed having seen many blow hoses. On raw water cooled engines you can see the big circ pump hose swell as speed goes up, the pressure can and does blow tired hoses.

Phil

Sam
01-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Jerry, you have mail.

Sam

Jerry Eisele
01-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks Phil

farmer tx
01-13-2005, 09:06 PM
Jerry, Here's one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4518210264

MOP
01-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I am pretty sure the Lavorsi is a Perko dolled up, the pics look the same except for powder coating.
I have been putting of buying a Perko for my project, awhile back checked price was $134 for the 1000. I stopped at my supplier yesterday and noticed price jumped to $149 now called the 1000S, pulled one out to see if there were any changes NOT. When I went to out it back I saw a battered and Grungy box way in the back of the shelf marked 1000 being nosey I pulled it out, could not resist took it up to the counter and asked what they would take for it. The fellow said Ah give me $100, I opened my Moth Trap and only had $98. I got it for $98, it is identical to the 1000S I guess the S was worth the $15 increase LOL! Did have a smile on my puss going home.

Phil