PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft new Spyware remover.

DONZI
01-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I just ran the new Microsoft spyware remover(free) and it located 47 threats.I have Norton and Zone labs Pro 4.0 and this new download made my computer run much better ! I ran the full scan. It took awhile ,but worth it.
www.microsoft.com

ToonaFish
01-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks Donzi!

I had four spies lurking in the nether regions of my computer... first time any program has located them.

pmreed
01-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I run ADAWARE and SPYSWEEPER often, but this picked up 3 threats the others didn't.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
01-08-2005, 10:26 PM
I guess its about time to trash my Windows 98 and go with something a little more modern...Ed

Lenny
01-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Great site. It found three on mine that Adware didn't. :yes:

Formula Jr
01-09-2005, 01:48 PM
:tv:

I wonder if everyone gets the same validation code for Win 98.

Mine was:

SGJWHND

Glad nobody is looking over my shoulder
And seeing what this found. I feel so dirty!
Then again, I probably just installed the biggest spyware MS could think up.

http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif (http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif)

ToonaFish
01-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I wonder if everyone gets the same validation code for Win 98.

I chose not to validate XP. Serves them right for all the blue screens of death I've suffered over the years. (And I'm sure not doing so will bite me in the end.)

Then again, I probably just installed the biggest spyware MS could think up.

That would assuredly be correct. But it's not like they couldn't just tuck it into our next OS... or that they might have already done so...

Bunches,

Celene 'even paranoids have enemies'

MOP
01-09-2005, 05:02 PM
I had a fellow that was in Internet security as a client, he said all computers have a signature code. He gave an example of one being stolen in NY and found in Canada when it was used on-line, I believe he was being truthful. Also how do we the consumer know if they have not gone ahead with the V Chip and the FBI's Carnivore is known to be running, the ACLU raised the issue not sure where it went.

Phil

ToonaFish
01-09-2005, 05:22 PM
...the FBI's Carnivore is known to be running, the ACLU raised the issue not sure where it went.

Sadly, Phil, not very far...

http://www.aclu.org/Privacy/Privacy.cfm?ID=9958&c=130

Formula Jr
01-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Well, after blowing up three Apple laptops in so many years, I picked up a $100 dollar used Win 98 machine just for internet access. Gets the job done, but its a bad dancer. I could have had fun with all the info left on that machine from the previous owner who is a local radio personality and didn't know all his old e-mail was still on the machine as were his checking accounts, SSN, Taxes and a complete history of his internet visitations. I didn't know there were that many "plushy" and "furry" sites.
Looked at the very over priced System X machines. Heck, they're just running a Unix shell anyway, so I decided to get a new Linux box, An ADM Processor Great Quality from Fry's for $180. I'm now gutting the Win machine of memory and all its device upgrades to go in the Linux Box. So my foray to the Dark Side was only temporary. Time will tell if this was a fully baked idea.
The funniest aspect of the MS spyware remover is that it "Requires" you to have installed all the new IE MS stuff.

harbormaster
01-17-2005, 08:02 AM
I hate to say this but I really like the this new offering from Mictosoft. It seems to find things that adaware and spybot could not find.

ToonaFish
01-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Well, maybe it's not so cool after all.

I don't know what exactly happened, but I received what looked like a "real" message saying that I had conflicts between Norton and MS Spyware. I STOOPIDLY clicked to resolve it. It may have been a real message; I seriously still think it was geninuine. Shortly thereafter was infected but good with a host of nasties.

And Norton had been turned off without my knowledge and would not re-enable. Ugly. Plus a low virtual memory message that wouldn't allow definitions to download. Or most anything else to run.

Twenty four hours later, I no longer have red (or gray) hair... it's all sitting in a pile on the floor where I've pulled it out.

The system seems to be currently working and I've gotten Norton and MS Spyware enabled... but that little evil Comedy Planet gremlin flashes across my toolbar when I reboot, so I doubt I'm actually as clean as they indicate.

What kind of sickos invent these things? It's not like I'd ever ever ever buy anything now from Comedy Planet or anywhere else they redirected me.

Geesh.

ToonaFish
01-31-2005, 10:39 AM
And this morning:

Detected Threats

Unclassified.Trojan.Z Trojan more information...
Details: Trojan detected by SpyNet. Classification is currently underway.
High threat - High risk threats typically are remotely exploitable vulnerabilities, which can lead to system compromise. Successful exploitation does not normally require any interaction. May open up communication ports, use polymorphic tactics, stealth installations, and/or anti-spy counter measures. May us a security flaw in the operating system to gain access to your computer.

Infected files detected
c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\Temp\~apropos0\ph.exe

Detected Spyware Cookies
No spyware cookies were found during this scan.

So, I'm curious... if both MS Spyware (Beta 1) and Norton (Pro '04) are running with current updates, how does this sneak back into my computer? Or is it lurking in the bowels where they can't locate and eradicate it?

Plus, it's tax time... is it safe to file online with all these nasty infections dogging my computer?