PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Dillema or What Would Brian Boitano Do?

Woodsy
01-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Hola Compadres!

Its finally after the 1st of the year, and now that my sleds are ready to go, its time to plan for spring.....

Here is my dillema: I have essentially the only factory built 22 Classic OB. (Rumor has it there is another one, but it has yet to be found) Anyway, I am sort of at a crossroads with this project. I didn't get much time to play with it last summer, so Princess spent alot of time on some bigger boats... and essentially got spoiled! She likes the thought of a bigger boat, especially where Winni can get pretty rough. So thoughts of a 28ZX have sprung to her mind. To get the 28ZX, I need to sell the OB as I can't afford both.

The other option is to keep the OB, deal with Princess, and repower it with some modern Merc Racing goodies, either a 250XS Opti or a 300X. In either case the the cost is somewhere between $15K to $20K. Not sure, but I think if I put that kind of $$$ into the OB I would be married to it... not that thats a bad thing, but I doubt I would ever be able to sell it and break even.

For the record, I have about $23K into the OB now, including trailer, engine & spare parts... some of the cost associated with the new repower would be mitigated by selling the current engine.

So what would you Donzi gurus do? What would Brian Boitano do? Seriously, what do you think?

Woodsy Von Outboard

PS: Poodle... Ping me your mailing addy so I can get your long lost Spinneli back to you. Its freezing its blades off up here in the tundra....

Danny
01-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Two years ago I was at Hot Knots Marine (Donzi dealership) in Orillia Ontario, the salesman told us about a factory built 22 outboard in our area that for sale, I never saw so I can't verify that it truly did exsist. The rarity of a boat like yours makes it a keeper in my opinion.
I like big outboards and have lately seen more and more i/os converted with brackets and outboards when it came time to repower. I was looking at 23 Formulas last year and was surprised to find several with outboards (don't if original or refitted).
My fish boat has a v6 Yamaha and I find the trim capabilities far better than that most i/os, negative trim for better holeshots and they seem to have more range. The ob must give a pretty good hole shot anyway. I find the big obs have great acceleration. Both my Donzis have 270 Volvos with no trim so I can't compare it to them.
I like the Poodle's idea of the jack plate.
I'm married to two Donzis and a very understandind woman.
Danny

Formula Jr
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Men look at a Donzi and think speed, engines, rumbling exhaust note and air time.

Women look at a Donzi and want to know where the head is and how it works.

Try peeing with you butt over the side a couple times and you'll know what they are up against.

They don't even have to ever use the head, but they like knowing its there!

If boating with the signif other is important to you, the choice is an easy one.

Cuda
01-07-2005, 06:25 PM
If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Sell the 22, and look for a 26 or a 28 Zx. Ask mama, size DOES matter. :biggrin:

Team Jefe
01-10-2005, 12:07 PM
Woodsy - From the guy who has to put up with the term "Clip-on Boy" all the time....I say upgrade.

Here's why:
1. 22 classic OB; rare and cool, but so what. IF you were a Donzi collector OK, but you're not.

2. Z boats are SUPER COOL, regardsless of what the Classic masses may have you believe......No disrepsect meant, I love the Duece-Duece, but it don't ride like a Z boat.

3. Winni is a rough, crowded lake, even the big boats get tossed around.

4. Owen and Joe have good points - Boating ain't any fun without girls in Bikinis. I know Nancy would hang with the 22, but she's as much a part of it as you are, if she's ready to deal with the costs, then why not.

26 or 28 ZX or ZXO (Poodle's right about the ride) would be great. with a 26 you only have to deal with one motor

But, don't rule out the ZF's. Lots of room, a 29 or 32 with two big OB's can be had cheaper than a ZX, you have lots of cooler space, and a head, adding seating is easy (as I will do this year) and you can run with a T-top or arch/bimini and not look wierd, as it does on a ZX.

Granted 60-70 MPH is all your going to get, but I'm convinced a Donzi ZF will out turn and boat in the water.

And.......you don't have to listen to all that noise from those Big I/O's :biggrin:

BUIZILLA
01-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Woodsy, didn't I understand you to say you LUVED the Donzi deck boats, especially with MacDaddy stereo's ?? :beer:

JH

boxy
01-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Woodsy, didn't I understand you to say you LUVED the deck boats, especially with MacDaddy stereo's ?? :beer:

JH

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you just call El Hefty's fishin' rig a pontoon boat ??????

:wavey: :embarasse :beer:

Donzigo
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I agree with CUDA, if she ain't happy, you ain't gonna be happy.

My girl only wanted to know if the Z-33 had a head. When I gutted it recently, she only wanted to know that it would still have a head. Yes, dear, I bought a new potty, & put it in the hatch. We've owned the Z-33 almost three years, she's used the head ONCE; but, it must be important as hell, for some reason.

I have had many boats, 11, to be exact, the last was a Z-25; then the Z-33 came along. I have to say, I do like the ride that a bigger boat gives in the chop.

Get the bigger boat.................

DonziChick
01-11-2005, 10:37 AM
For the female point of view, Yes potties are important :D

Seriously though, if you both aren't happy then it isn't a good solution. I love the ride of the classics, but a lot of people - mostly women, don't. It gets too rough for them. I think the Z boats would be a good compromise.

Dr. Dan
01-11-2005, 10:58 AM
:bonk: Well in my never to be humble Opinion....if you're not Boatin....then you're not Boatin.....Seat Time Water Time....Party Time....get the Hell on the Water Man..... :banghead:

It's only Cool if it works, and if it don't work...it ain't that cool, if ya can't afford to make it work.....then that too is not cool. Sooooooooooo Be Cool, make a decision you both will be Happy With...

Get a boat that runs, enjoy it...and get your Azz On Da Watta!

Doc :spit:

Next!!!!!!!!!!

undertaker
01-11-2005, 01:04 PM
I know a sweeet 33ZX that is for sale. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

You will not regret the 28ZX at all. Go for it. I agree with Dr. Dan get on the water and have fun. :party:

Undertaker :biggrin:

Team Jefe
01-11-2005, 05:08 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Did you just call El Hefty's fishin' rig a pontoon boat ??????

:wavey: :embarasse :beer:

I'm gonna stick a pontoon up your frozen ass and make a

BOX-sicle :fire:

Woodsy
01-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys!!

Not sure what the plan is yet... but there will be a plan.... I really like the idea of a 28ZX or O, but it a kinda pricey way to go... of course Princess' smile is worth every penny! :biggrin: I might just have to look a little harder at the costs involved... maybe a leftover 300X? hmmmm

Anybody want to buy a powerless OB for $19K with a custom trailer? $23K with power.... and spare parts...

Hey ALLARD! Ping me... I need to talk about CG!

Poodle, still waitin on the the addy... and it has a jack plate... forgot to mention that.

Jefe.. Those of us from laconia know and value the true performance potential of the ZF line.... need your addy & Aqua V's APO

Dr. Dan... your killin me... do you have malpractice insurance for that boat? LOL!

Buizilla.... Deck boats are just plain wrong... on so many levels... even with Macdaddy Stereos... The people who owned the deck boat were extremely cool....

Dr. Dan
01-11-2005, 08:32 PM
:cool: Of course....I have Malpractice...in fact, Insurance is my checkbooks favorite number! Oy! Ya know that Texas Boat just posted for only $30,000 some K is a nize Ride...and it won't break your bank...and Pitunia will be happy...check it out ...it's even got Yellow...and a Yellow Wheel!

Hmmmm...Jefe could convince someone to bring it up....whada plan...it's OK I'm a Doctor...you can thank me later....remember Moderation...everything in Moderation...like my moderate repower....subtle...very subtle! Like "Diarhea with Torque"...Wow...I might have just coined a new Winnie Bandit Phrase?

Doc :biggrin.:

ChromeGorilla
01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Dont laugh at all deck boats......There is a Donzi deck boat round these parts with a whippled 6.2 that goes like hell... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Team Jefe
01-12-2005, 11:18 AM
:cool: Texas Boat just posted for only $30,000 some K is a nize Ride...and it won't break your bank...and Pitunia will be happy...check it out ...it's even got Yellow...and a Yellow Wheel!

Hmmmm...Jefe could convince someone to bring it up....whada plan...it's OK I'm a Doctor...you can thank me later....Doc :biggrin.:

Dave - Bill's boat is very nice and had lots of upgrades and work done recently. I have thought of getting it myself, but too many other things tugging my wallet.

Doc's right - I will bring it too you if you like....diesel money only. Catch a SouthWorst flight down here....we'll put you up, feed you, and take out into the GOM Blue water for your test ride.

VERY DOABLE