PDA

View Full Version : One more time

Cuda
01-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Iv'e decided to dive back in the engine of the Minx. I had a mechanic adjust the valves, and I think they didn't listen to me when I told them there were two cylinders that you had to adjust like they were solids. I'm sure he just cranked them down a half turn, and now the valves are staying open. At least that's what I think, since those are the two cylinders that aren't firing. I want to be sure I don't have to bring the bimini equipted fish boat to Mt Dora again this year. :eek: :banghead:

Cuda
01-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I damn sure wish my dumbass hadn't used tall valve covers just because they were available in red. Now I have to take the exhaust loose to get them off. I take threaded rod and screw them in the two end bolt holes to keep the exhuast lined up, because it's a b!tch to get it lined up right.

Cuda
01-07-2005, 03:41 PM
As usual, I have to fix something else before I can work on the valves. I left the batteries on, and they are both dead as hell. When I was changing them, I saw the sorry job a shop did when I paid them to relocated the battery to it's original position. They had both hot leads running to one battery, the ground to the battery that didn't have a hot lead, and the ground to the one with both hot leads was laying unconnected in the bottom of the bilge.

That's why I hate to pay someone to do things. You can bet I'll stop by there and raise hell and get a refund.

DONZI
01-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Soo,
It was running O.K. until they re-adj. the valves ?
Or it went to the mechanic because it wasn"t running correctly ?
Either way heres some more ideas for ya.
I would do a compression ck. first.

If O.K.- Ck.firing order,Dist. cap for crack,Manifold for vacum leak at the suspect cyls.
If you have pulled the covers already.Ck to make sure rocker arms are travelling up/ down full throw (camshaft lobes).
Inspect & push on valve springs.
What is the adj. 2 cyls. like a solid camshaft about ?

Cuda
01-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Scott, I probably didn't describe it properly. It had two batteries in it. And I wanted one put in the original place under the seat. The battery in the bilge had a ground running to the engine and to the switch, grounding the switch, but it had no hot lead on that battery. The battery under the seat had the ground lead from both batteries connected to it, but the other ground from the battery in the bilge was laying in it not connected to anything. I think that's how it was.

Cuda
01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Donzi, when I first had the engine installed, two cyls weren't firing. We diagnosed it down to it didn't have any compression. We then figured out that two lifters didn't collapse part way in the travel of the piston in those two lifters, therefore, when we tightened them down a half turn beyond zero, it was not letting those two valves close. We backed off those two valves, then adjusted them like they were solid lifters, leaving a little clearance in them. I ran it this way for a few hours, then I decided to have the valves readjusted because I could hear some valve noises. I took it to a marine mechanic and told him what to do. I made sure they knew about the two valves that had to be adjusted like solids. After I found those two cyls weren't firing again, I went back to him and told him I knew they weren't paying attention to me when I told them about the two cyls. He said to bring it back and they'd do it again, but between that, the batteries not being rigged like I told him, and I had them work on a small outboard I had and he didn't get that fixed either, I decided to do it myself. I am going to stop back in next week and raise hell with him for all the crappy work he did for me. I ended up sending the small outboard home with my dad for him to trouble shoot it for me.

Btw, I'm sure those two valves are staying open, because there is water in the oil like it was the first time. That's from the intake being open and sucking water in it. Not a whole lot of water, but exactly like it did the very first time we ran the engine.

ChromeGorilla
01-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Damn Cuda, that sux ass. I hope you get her running right before too long. Good luck.

Cuda
01-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Damn Cuda, that sux ass. I hope you get her running right before too long. Good luck.

I will one way or the other if I have to take the engine out of the 20 foot Formula.

sweet 16 1966
01-07-2005, 09:41 PM
I would pull the plugs from the non firing cylinders to see if they are wet. I ran a ford once too hard & had the rocker arm stud pull out. The stud sealed out water from the head. When it backed out, it flooded the valves with water & entered the oil pan.
Long story short, you could have other issues as indicated by the valve adjustment.
My 2 cents worth. Good luck & hope it sees Mt. Dora!

gcarter
01-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Good luck Joe!
I know that between you and Debbie, you'll get it fixed.
Did the alternator rattle go away?

Cuda
01-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Good luck Joe!
I know that between you and Debbie, you'll get it fixed.
Did the alternator rattle go away?

Yes, the bracket was loose, the other alt would have been fine too.