PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires

TuxedoPk
01-06-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm looking out the window at the white stuff we got last night and got to thinking about whether it's worth putting a set of snow tires on the Ram 2500 4x4 rather than using the all season tires I've got on now.

Can anyone share whether they've found them to be a worthwhile investment or just marketing hype?

Mac
01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Hard to find load range E snows big enough for your truck. I would just put 10 60lb sand tubes from HD over the axle. If you truck is diesel when in 4WD the front really pulls with all the wieght on it.

boxy
01-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Tux, I always ran BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A's on my Dodge 1500, and it never saw a ditch it wasn't pointed at in 190,000 KM's.
They seemed to have an aggressive enough tread pattern to throw whatever mud, or snow you packed into them ......

That being said, we have the stock tires on our Durango, and we have never had any trouble in the snow with it either, and they are going to get a work out tonight, cause it's snowing like a bastage here right now..... :D

Rootsy
01-06-2005, 03:24 PM
hmmmm i think a set of superswamper boggers are just what you are lookin for... :D

onesubdrvr
01-06-2005, 05:40 PM
ahh, never mind :wink: :D :nuke:
I know 4 hurricanes suck (I was in the eye of two of 'em), but,...now, with 80* days forcasted for Saturday and Sunday,......:cool!:
The only question is how busy the ramps will be!!

Wayne

mattyboy
01-06-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd skip the snow tires and go right to chains :p ;) or buy one of those conversion track kits :eek:
or ya could sell the house and move to Fla

TuxedoPk
01-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I'd skip the snow tires and go right to chains :p ;) or buy one of those conversion track kits :eek:
or ya could sell the house and move to Fla

What's the speed record for towing a Donzi with chains down the Palisades? :)

I'm almost at the point of giving the house away- it has become the money pit from hell.

mattyboy
01-07-2005, 07:51 AM
well what type of chains?? for the tires or safety chains for the trailer??
you make better time if you don't have to stop and go back and pick up the boat again ;) :) sorry that was uncalled for

I told my Trooper friends about that, they LTAO even they said the guys working on the parkways have no sense of humor they would have set you every which way but loose

Dr. Dan
01-07-2005, 07:59 AM
:wavey: Rich...Unless you are doing regular Off Road Driving...up a snowy driveway...or whatever...an All Terrain tread is normally more than adequate. You will get more versatile benifit from Sand Bags....giving you the Weight and Traction you need.

I grew up in the Michigan Tundra...and drove all winter in normal tires, on a rear drive car...with a standard trans...I never got stuck.

Good Luck with the Money Pit!

Doc :smash:

TuxedoPk
01-07-2005, 09:22 AM
you make better time if you don't have to stop and go back and pick up the boat again

LMAO.. Actually the truck slowed me down- the boat was in the passing lane :)

Wazzy
01-07-2005, 09:22 AM
I'm looking out the window at the white stuff we got last night and got to thinking about whether it's worth putting a set of snow tires on the Ram 2500 4x4 rather than using the all season tires I've got on now.

Can anyone share whether they've found them to be a worthwhile investment or just marketing hype? I never really believed that snow tires were needed until I bought my Accord which came with them, used deal two sets of tires. It was honestly, a huge improvement over the all seasons, day and night difference. It was not that I would have been stuck with all seasons, but I could cruize with alot more confidence. With this beeing said, My experience is that 4X4's handle well in snow regardless of tires that is until you need to stop in an emergency. This may be where snow tires get your attension. Again that being said, my fiance has a newer jeep grand, and even with it awsome ability regardless of terrain, I have confidance she will be safer in the snow when she has her snow tires on "peace of mind" for me. Here in Sudbury we have long harsh, cold winters, so it makes sence for us here.
To chime in about other tires, alot of guys here with trucks run BF's all Terrain TA's and find that they work well in snow and wear well. So it boils down to what are your winters like, whose drivin your truck (peace of mind daughter/wife), because there is a diffenece but it is up to you to decide if it will be worth it for you.
Good luck!:beer:

mattyboy
01-07-2005, 11:21 AM
LMAO.. Actually the truck slowed me down- the boat was in the passing lane :)

so you actually can put the kart before the horse ;)

another proverbial misnomer de-bunked