PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 Islands questions...

Tony
01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Is the Sound of Thunder a Donzi gathering, a big Poker Run, or both? I see that the date is July 14-17, but I haven't found any other details or discussions regarding it. Is there a resort/marina/hotel/flophouse/youth hostel/gym that the Donzi gang stays at? I'm trying to decide between this event and the Lake George Dust-Off. What would be some advantages/disadvantages of each venue? I seem to remember some pretty rough water and chilly weather being described at one 1,000 Islands event...

Jack Frost
01-06-2005, 12:49 PM
chilly weather oh yeah!!!!!

boxy
01-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Tony, I'll post a bunch of info in a couple of hours. It's chilly here now, but mid July will bring 85+ F days.......
We'll have kicked Jack's ass to the curb by then ....... :D

mattyboy
01-06-2005, 05:57 PM
there's a formal agenda or itinerary around here someplace ;)

Boxy another red and white boat hehehehehe
:eek: but Mi plates

both are wonderful events which offer great scenery, plenty of water both clear as glass, and great people.

travel time from Mi. I would say 1000 islands is closer doing the "roadtrip" route thru Canada 8 hours or so. Lk george i would add 4-6 hours
the weather at both can be cool but last year it was great at both

the dustoff features a set poker run on sat which encompasses the entire lake, then a full lake run Sunday, many older classics live on lk george some are very cool ;)

1000 islands has runs friday sat and sun and has a more laid back schedule, the hotel at this years event as everything needed for a big weekend nice docks just watch the wet steps :eek:

I've got both on this years calendar,
and Tony both can be a lil hard on a 16 if the water gets big, but I have survived both and there's always a bigger boat to get into as well, both runs are no problem for a 23 gallon SBF just fill up before runs and both have gas stops I hear the scenery at 1000 island gas docks are a lil easier on the eyes :)

june 19 for dustoff
july 14 for 1000 islands

hey jack chill this!!!!

boxy
01-06-2005, 06:08 PM
As my sargeant at arms explained, the 1000 Islands Donzi Run...The Sound of Thunder ..... runs on it's own schedule....check out the url below for a preview of this year's T-shirt.
www.designashirt.com/design.asp?design=75099

Our base hotel will once again be the Edgewood resort... www.theedgewoodresort.com ... the hotel has blocked us off a great bunch of rooms, I believe it is the building Doc was in last year, they have also given me their dock layout, so I will be able to co-ordinate all of our docking requirements.
Janine, the owner, has graciously offered to give us the run of their big wood burning BBQ for Saturday night, and she also offered to supply all of the plates, and silverware.

The weather in July in this part of the world is fantastic, and Alexandria Bay ..... www.alexbay.org .... will be in full summer season swing.

Anybody who is traveling from west of the 1000 Islands, and is planning on continuing to Winni, I will have secure in building marina storage available on the Canadian side.

Fire away with the questions, I'll answer everything I can, and check out the T-shirt and let me know what you think....

Boxy

mattyboy
01-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Sgt at arms??

SMACK ...... thank you sir may I have another...... :) :kyle: :wavey:

MOP
01-06-2005, 07:18 PM
"Tough call" I have not made it to Lake George but hope to I have heard from many it is both a beautiful place and one of the Premier runs, with a little luck Matty will serve up insulated beers. I am partial to the 1000 Islands, I have been going up for 8 years now staying on a buddies island. Boxy is the authority on the area, the accommodations we had last year were very nice and reasonably priced. Matty and a few others can fill you in on Lk George.

Phil

Tony
01-06-2005, 08:14 PM
Matty & Boxy, thanks for the summaries and the links. While they both sound great and I will get to New York one of these years, it looks like the date of the Sound of Thunder will work best for us this summer.

We'll probably make a week of it, with a stop in the Les Cheneaux Islands (where in the world is Chris Riley?) and then a day or two on the top of the Georgian Bay (anyone live near there?) on our way to the mouth of the mighty St. Lawrence.

I read somewhere that in the summer there are whales in the St. Lawrence Seaway...any truth to that? If so, how far up are they?

Boxy, how the hell are you getting along without hockey? I have been partially appeased by playing once a week...I finally qualify for a 50 and over league!

Dr. Dan
01-06-2005, 08:26 PM
:bonk: Tony...we had a broad range Thread runing under the Preseason Planing of 2005. I post ed Pics to make it look official..

1000 Ilses is not a Poker Run...it is similar to AOTH in that is a Casual Gathering welcoming any and all lunatics who dare to Run with Matty!

The Facilities are great, the Bar is very close to our Slips...and we all know Phil has Big Balls....as described in an alternate Thread....Hmmmm?

This is like boating in Europe...without the Stench....of well ...whatever....anyway...it is spectacular scenery...and only the super cool learn the secret handshake....

Cigars, Scotch and incredible Sunsets are the norm...plus of course...great peeps!

See ya there....

:spit: Doc of the Bay...Alexandria Bay!

Brad Lyon
01-06-2005, 08:28 PM
Tony,

If you come to the dinner this weekend we will have to talk. I was thinking about skipping AOTH this year and going to 1000 Islands. Yep, another Michigan plate!

Brad

BUIZILLA
01-06-2005, 08:30 PM
and this is all tentative at this point... I am considering doing 1K and Winni, with some sightseeing in between. If I bring the Critter behind my coach, what are the local accomodations for campsites that are pull thru coach friendly at both venues? or should I park it, and get a room at the lodge in both area's? I may need help splashing the boat, unless this coach thing can float on it's own :umbrella: OR i'll do the dustoff, and sightsee for a couple weeks in the NE area. Not sure what to do just yet,, but I really want to do one or the other of these venue's, just can't do them all from my locale. Now I gotta figger out how Cumberland fit's into this, if at all.

JH

Dr. Dan
01-06-2005, 09:19 PM
:wavey: Tony...the first year it was rainy,windy and rough....but even then we did have some nice running, last year we had awesome weather...the entire Event.

Jim...the Docking is Great...lots of room at the lodge for the Motor Home.....if knowhere else...where we park the Trailers, but I am sure there are plenty of Campsites too. I would be happy to hook up and help u launch the Critter if need be.

I would suggest...1000 Isles...then tour the North East for 2 Weeks...finish it off in Winnie....and then head home...Wow...that would be an Awesome Donzi Vacation. :smash: Let me know how I can help to make this work for you & Janice... I will be at LG, 1000 Isles & Winnie for sure....

Doc :smile:

ChromeGorilla
01-06-2005, 10:27 PM
sounds like 1k islands and winni are drawing more southerners than LG... i can only make 1 of the 3. And wife prefers LG. Any others not particularly from the NE making it to the dustoff?

boxy
01-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Jim, give me a call on my cell...613-794-8808, or on the 800 number listed on my website, and I'll try to give you some local info. A coach trip to this part of the world would be a fantastic vacation.

mattyboy
01-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Our plan is to do 1k isles this year, then Winni 2 weeks later.A saunter home afterwards with a few lake stops on the way..

Some air travel and storage at the local Rastafarian’s hangout are being arranged as we speak. I'll call you tomorrow with some details...

the greenwood lake thunderboat row squadron would love to have ya if you can work it out, on your way heading south
and being NY is the melting pot we have all donominations of illegal aliens to choose from to store your stuff ;)

yes I love both events a tough choice that's why I planned both

lunatic??? Sgt at arms??? what is it pick on mattyboy season??? oops my bad forgot it's winter go ahead :p ;)
I'll take my fenders and go home !!! :bawling:

hehehehe

GTG meds time

roadtrip se
01-07-2005, 11:54 AM
The drive across Canada is easy and the roads are great compared to the mine fields we have around here.

We did the crossing at the Bluewater Bridge to avoid Detroit traffic and made it in 7 1/2 hours with both crossings. The toughest part of the drive is rolling through Toronto, where a lot of people have lost their will to live, based on their driving style.

We are doing the park and drive for Winni too. I'll be taking you up on that Canadian storage offer Boxy.

Todd
"They will pull my Texas plates from my cold, dead hands!"

boxy
01-07-2005, 12:13 PM
lunatic??? Sgt at arms??? what is it pick on mattyboy season??? oops my bad forgot it's winter go ahead :p ;)
I'll take my fenders and go home !!! :bawling:

hehehehe

GTG meds time

Hey Sgt at arms was term of endearment....... :wavey:

Tim Morris
01-07-2005, 04:05 PM
The toughest part of the drive is rolling through Toronto, where a lot of people have lost their will to live, based on their driving style.

Agreed, if you came through in rush hour.

Actually, you don't really roll through Toronto, just across the top on Hwy 401. Try fighting your way out from downtown.
Don Mugford & I both work right downtown on the water. One full hour to get to the 401 on a Friday afternoon.

Check my avitar; those are the docks at A-Bay 1,000 Islands.
Bar in the background, you can stagger to your boat (turn right) or stagger to your room (turn left). Beautiful spot.

Check this thread:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36422&highlight=alexandria+bay

mattyboy
01-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Jim,
we can find another launch vehicle I don't think the coach will make the turns at the local free ramp at 1000 islands ;)
and if you venture to lk george and stay at the treasure cove don't bring the coach down the second drive way it will be come a lake side villa ;)

Dr. Dan
01-08-2005, 10:25 AM
:smash: Island Girls and some guy they picked up...and Frank Civitano on the back side of one of the Castles. :spongebob

Doc

boxy
01-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Doc, that was Singer Castle on a flat day. Here is a pic of it from the Saturday of the first year ......