PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting reading about edelbrock 750cfm carbs.

Moody Blu'
01-05-2005, 10:55 PM
I found this on a site. they talk abotu the 750 cfm being badly engineered.

I have been running this carb and did notice a big drop in MPG compared to my friends edelbrock 600cfm.

I may swich to a 750 holley but the thing is i have all the jets for the edelbrock 600,650 and 750. should i just go with a 650 and tune it?

heres what i found.

and heres the link too.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63&whichpage=1

We tried the 750 on a variety of engines and vehicles. Small and Big Block Chevys, Big Block Mopar and Big Block Ford. We tested on big inch streetable applications, and also high horsepower smaller engines. On each case the engines made more power (and lower b.s.f.c) with different carbs (Holleys, tweaked Quadrajets, and in some cases the smaller Edelbrock carbs made more power and torque). We even tried reworking/modifying the 750 Edelbrock carbs to try to find some improvements, nothing worth mentioning.

I do not have an exact count, but it was over 18 applications ... each one was frustrating.

Like I stated, the smaller Performer Series carbs are awesome pieces. Easy to tune, decent performance and efficiency.

The "correct" way to do your dyno testing is get the engine all set up, run it with the 750 Edelbrock (adjust it to optimum)... then, try not only a different brand carb, but also try the smaller Edelbrock carb. For a final test, go back to the 750. Remember, different carbs in some cases will relate differently to different jetting, timing, etc. Your dyno operator should know what to do (unless you are just going there to get a power and torque number with no actual tuning). Take the time for comparisons ... that is where the numbers show the variances.

One more concern ... a 750 cfm carb on a 331" engine is designed for REGULAR operation above 7800 RPM.

A 331" engine that sees 7,000 max RPM only needs 670cfm (at 100% volumetric engine efficiency). Most engines are typically only 80-90% VE. High output race-only applications can exceed 95-100% VE.

Engine size (CID) x maximum RPM / 3456 = CFM
CFM @ 100% volumetric efficiency

Offer me the specs on your engine (including head flow ratings, etc) and I could probably calculate your power and torque ouput to within 3% of what an engine dyno will actually show you. (and make a few suggestions to any changes ... if needed) I can tweak the settings to come pretty close on chassis dynos, but I need a ton of information.

Best Regards,

Sam - Pres/CEO
Century Performance Center

I agree on the Edelbrock 750 carbs. Here's an e-mail I sent to Edelbrock's warranty manager. Their only suggestion was to send the carb in to have it rebuilt and engine dyno tested with NO GUARANTEE any problem would even be corrected. Their suggestion to me was to enlarge the venturi passage in the primary & secondary feeds (as in drill larger!) I have concluded the 750's aren't worth anything but the $0.79 you can get in scrap aluminum. Love the 600's though.
(original e-mail to Edelbrock)
I've used three 600's so far on mild & mid HP 350 chevy engines and I haven't a single complaint. They were easily tuned, drivability was great, and fuel economy was fair. So, when it came time for selecting a carb for my street/strip engine project for my Fiero, naturally Edelbrock was my first choice. I looked at the specs of your RPM crate engines and found mine were quite similar: 355, 4-bolt, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5:1 forged pistons, sportsman II heads, weiand stealth intake (no room for RPM Gap or else I woulda used it), 1-5/8 shorty headers w/ dual 2.5" flowmasters 40 series, msd distributor and 6AL, and the cam: 234/244, .488/.510 but on a 114 lobe sep for the higher compression. At the time, you were using the 750 carbs on the crate engines, so the 750 manual was my choice. Upon receiving the carb, I found a couple points that struck me as odd. The throttle bore was the same dia on the primaries and secondaries (1-11/16) versus having 1-7/16 & 1-11/16 respectively on the 600's. Fair enough. One of them has to increase to increase CFM to 750. The difference in the secondary jetting raised an eyebrow when compared to the 600 as well. The 750 same throttle bore dia (as stated above)and venturi dia as the 600 on the secondaries, but the jets come in at .107 for the 750 and .095 for the 600. The required is basically a proportion of the air flow through the throttle bores. Being the throttle bores are the same size and ALL OTHER THINGS HELD THE SAME, the jets for the two should be roughly the same. However, the jets are an astounding .012 GREATER for the 750! This began me believing that the difference is making up for some inequity in another feature of the carb. Since the 750 is really a 600 with larger venturies and throttle bores on the primaries, there must lie some sort of problem. Is there a defiency in fuel delivery when the primaries are open past 65%? The whole idea of the larger primaries themselves worries me. From what I understand, a more radical engine has less than ideal air draw at RPM's under 2000. The larger throttle bores then are a hinderance to the fuel mixture because of the slowed flow of the wider bore cross section. As area for flow increases, velocity decreases, just like an intake. A smaller primary would have greater air velocity than the larger and thus produce a better mixture. Granted, the smaller primary will be restrictive to flow at higher RPM's as more air & fuel is demanded.

Here's the facts: all my settings were ideal. electric fuel pump regulated to 5.5 psi, in dash pressure gauge - the needle never moves off 5.5. Floats properly calibrated (and checked several dozen times afterward while tuning). 10 deg advance base timing with the lightest springs for earlier advance, and full vacuum advance at idle. my engine idles at 900 RPM @ 14" vacuum. No erratic idle or vacuum fluctuation. Now, here's the frustrating part: the mixture is ALWAYS rich. There was no sign of fuel leaks or fuel dumping, just the thick exhaust and excessive carbon build up inside the pipes. The plugs indicated the same rich condition. The only way I could get a good mixture was to decrease the primary rods/jets down to .073x.052/.107 and secondaries to .101. By the time I restrict the fuel that much, it is far too lean on warm up and intermittently lean on in all stages. On a positive note, the step-up springs as usual, worked best with the pinks. But unfortunately, that was the only solid tuning I was able to rely on. Frustrated, I exchanged carbs thru Summit and figured something was amiss internally in the carb. I got the new carb and bolted it on. After more extensive testing, the same problems ensued. I decided I must be missing something. I replaced and reset the floats, put in all new gaskets, and new needles and seats in the carb. I bought a new electric fuel pump and fuel pump relay for the hell of it, replaced the lines from tank to carb completely, and routed them even more carefully to ensure there we no kinks or restrictions. I even bought a A/F mixture gauge and welded the bung 8" from the shorty collector. I tried various tuning set ups and it was no different than the first 750 carb. The A/F gauge verified everything I believed to be happening under the initial and latter tuning attempts. Too rich, so I'd go leaner. Too lean, so I'd go richer. There was no happy medium, just too rich or too lean. At that point, I thought my initial hunch about the 750 might be right. I unbolted the 600 from the mild motor in my truck and onto the 355 in my fiero. I retuned it with .068x.047/0.101 primaries and .098 secondaries. The difference was like night and day. So, I found my problem, the 750 either wouldnt work with my set up or the carb design is fundamentally flawed. So, I set out in search of my next carb to use. The 600 killed my high end and that wasnt a sacrifice I wanted to make. So, I started researching. Holleys, Demons... and Edelbrocks. I found nothing but praise of the 600's online in forums and reviews but very mixed feelings on the 750. Curious. Then, I noticed Edelbrock has a new EPS 800 out, which replaced the 750 on their crate motors! I couldnt find details on the throttle bore and venturi sizes, just that the venturi clusters were redesigned. The stock calibration caught my eye the most. Even though the 800 has a higher cfm rating than the 750, the base calibration is .071x.047/.113 primary and .101 secondary. Hmmm... no excessively rich secondary jet on a even bigger carb? It's a whole .006 smaller, two stages. The 800 hasn't been out too long so I couldnt find much feedback on it, so I'm hesitant to give it a try. I need a carb bigger than a 600 for sure. I don't want to "switch teams" to a Holley or similar and give up a low price, ease of tuning and most of all, tuning familiarity. On the other hand I don't want to take another risk. I do not claim to be an expert on air/fuel distribution or flow through carburetors, but something does not seem right with me with the 750 in my experience. I would like to believe that the frustration endured in tuning the 750 was beyond my control, but maybe I still was missing something. But, if the 800 was released to remedy the 750's poor design I would like to return the 750 and pay the difference for the 800. I'm not looking for a handout, just answers and a carb that works as good as the 600. Any information you can possibly provide me on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

so would one gain performance by switching to a holley 750?

BillG
01-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Moody,
Maybe it just proves the old adage, that bigger is not always better. Most guys tend to over use oversize carbs. and they complain about loss of performance. The 600 is probably the best carb. on your engine and going bigger wil not help.
Just my .02 cents.

Bill G

Formula Jr
01-06-2005, 03:10 PM
I got as far as when you said "Fiero" and then I just went,
"whaaaaaaaa?"

:hyper:

Oky, I'll play. What did you stuff in a Fiero again? If you put a 350 bowtie in there, please explain how you did that, first.

Then I want pics of a V8 in that thing and how you stiffened the suspension and the tranny to carry it.

Lenny
01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Having an Edelbrock 600 on my 350 in the X, I can say that fuel economy, (in my mind) is great, runs a looong time on a tank, and has no issues.

But, now that I have "plugged" one side of the carb primary with some sort of junk, I have lost power to a group of 4 cylinders.

In mentioning it to a local mechanic, he stated, that the Edelbrock carb is GREAT to work on as it only gets a set of "jets" and the only external adjustment is the two idles mixture screws. Sounds good to me 'cuz I had vision of taking the thing off, separating it, and then realizing that I had just opened up a watch.

It kind of cheered me up to hear that.

Time will tell.

JimG
01-07-2005, 06:33 AM
I love my Edelbrock 600. It's been flawless, just bolt on and go. Excellent mileage, too! :wavey:

Moody Blu'
01-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I did not write anything you read, it came from the link i posted.

what there saying is the edelbrock 600 is awesome but the 750 is not engineered right.

Rootsy
01-07-2005, 10:11 AM
i don';t know if i'd say "engineered" but rather "calibrated" poorly for the application... if you want to delve into calibration and adjustment of carburetors, no matter what the make or model... we could be here for a while... just a dumb mixer... if the orfice diameters of one or multiple circuits are not balanced well with the venturi's and the pressure drop across them... you'll have issues... sometimes you just need to break out the drill bits and pin gauges...

case in point... my 350 is in the neighborhood of 410 ish at the crank... with a 750 cfm demon on an rpm airgap the idle circuit is extremely touchy to adjustment... to alleviate this i opened the idle air bleeds .006 inches in diameter... what this did was bleed off the vacuum signal to the orfice feeding fuel into the venturi at idle and partial throttle, imulsifying it with more air which is supplied by the idle bleed. it gives you a larger range of adjustment on your needles. Other than that calibration of the carb has been very close... went down a bit in jet all the way around and added some discharge nozzle due to the load under acceleration... she's flawless...

FWIW, which isn't much cause it's not just about max airflow, the 750 demon was worth about 3 mph over the 600 holley i had on it...

Sam
01-07-2005, 07:24 PM
For the love of god man (James) speak english :confused:

Simply Yours
Sam :biggrin.:

Rootsy
01-07-2005, 08:53 PM
ok just for you sam..

stick a straw in a cup of water... poke a hole in the side above the water line.. cover it with your finger... now suck on the end of the straw... takes little suction to draw A LOT of water and it almost seems like it is on or off, not much control of the flow.. now uncover the hole... you get little flow at the same suction but as you begin to suck harder you get more water... and you can meter flow a lot easier over a broader range of suction pressure...

how is that?

BUIZILLA
01-07-2005, 08:59 PM
I think I understood Rootsy better in the first explanation....you lost me in the second go_around.. :embarasse :wink:

Sam
01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
No one likes a smart A@% Jamie, I'll deal with you at dinner :bonk: , just remeber I know where all the sand bars are on Lk St Clair :D .

ToonaFish
01-07-2005, 10:42 PM
stick a straw in a cup of water... poke a hole in the side above the water line.. cover it with your finger... now suck on the end of the straw... takes little suction to draw A LOT of water and it almost seems like it is on or off, not much control of the flow.. now uncover the hole... you get little flow at the same suction but as you begin to suck harder you get more water... and you can meter flow a lot easier over a broader range of suction pressure...

Clearly, he is missing Patti.

Patti
01-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Wellll ... http://www.donzi.net/ubb/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Tuesday can't come soon enough http://www.donzi.net/ubb/wink.gif

I see your Chicken of the Sea is hustling once again! http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

My 17 year old who is a graphics whiz gave me a whole explanation of why it wasn't moving..but it was too much to type..I figured someone would know how to fix it http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

Moody Blu'
01-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Rootsy, if you read what i posted he said it went form being to lean to too rich he couldnt fine tune it. ALSO your carb isnt a edelbrock so im sure the demon will run good.this thread was about info i found on the edelbrock 750 being less then tuneable.Kind of a heads up ya know?

Rootsy
01-08-2005, 09:49 AM
Rootsy, if you read what i posted he said it went form being to lean to too rich he couldnt fine tune it. ALSO your carb isnt a edelbrock so im sure the demon will run good.this thread was about info i found on the edelbrock 750 being less then tuneable.Kind of a heads up ya know?

dude, i fully understood what you were saying... :boggled:

mattyboy
01-10-2005, 08:53 AM
never mind all this reading and writing
Moody let's see pics of the new trailer!!!
maybe you can make some events this year