PDA

View Full Version : St. Lucie Canal

onesubdrvr
01-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Hey Y'all

Has anyone ever boated on the St. Lucie Canal from Stuart?

I'm hoping to do some WOT RPM testing this weekend, and this seems to be the ideal place, but don't know of any speed restrictions / etc.
If there are speed restrictions, where is someplace where there are none (preferably in SE Florida), so that I can get some RPM testing done?

Thanks
Wayne
PS. if anyone is in the area and wants to play this weekend, let me know!!

Surfer
01-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Try the ocean, or intracoastal in Palm Beach county. Broward county is miserable, "no wake", "idle speed only", and boat cops everywhere.

onesubdrvr
01-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Try the ocean, or intracoastal in Palm Beach county. Broward county is miserable, "no wake", "idle speed only", and boat cops everywhere.
Actually I'm even north of Palm Beach, the canal starts in Stuart (Martin County), and runs west into Lake Okeechobee, East, runs into the South Fork of the St. Lucie River, which goes north into St. Lucie County,....
Any ideas up here?
Wayne

turbo2256
01-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Seems like I know of someone that almost got stopped comming out of one of the forks of the ST Lucie. Two Sheriff boats tried to cut him off. He was clocked at 127 MPH going under the Roosivelt bridge. His rooster tail soaked cars crossing the bridge he then headed out the inlet ran north to Fort Pierce and came back throuh the north canal (Moonraker boat chase seen area) back to the canal behind his house in North Sulivan Shores docked his boat. As he entered his home his dad (then head of the Port ST Lucie Power Squadren) was going off about someone being chased by the sheriff boats, he was montering over his short wave radio. That got away hitting speeds of 127 + MPH. My twist go out in the ocean on a clam day there are speed limits on all the inland waters in Fla The max used to be 55.

onesubdrvr
01-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Well,

That must of been one hell of a rooster tail, what 60-70' high? Anyway, I will take it into consideration, I won't even hit 55 yet, but none the less,......if that's the best place to do it, so be it. It looked pretty calm out today, but we will see on Sunday, I'll be putting in at Ft. Pierce Inlet, lots of open room, lots of resturants.

Wayne

turbo2256
01-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Well,

That must of been one hell of a rooster tail, what 60-70' high? Anyway, I will take it into consideration, I won't even hit 55 yet, but none the less,......if that's the best place to do it, so be it. It looked pretty calm out today, but we will see on Sunday, I'll be putting in at Ft. Pierce Inlet, lots of open room, lots of resturants.

Wayne
The old bridge not the new one

onesubdrvr
01-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I got 'cha!

I was gonna say, "I NEED MY BOOTS!!"

Wayne

Team Hula Girl
01-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Just run north up the Indian River. Once you get past the last bridge there isn't a no wake zone until you get to Harbor branch. I run through there at 60+ MPH all the time. The intercoastal does have a 30MPH speed limit but it is never enforced.
After The short No wake at Harbor Branch you can run for another 5 miles without slowing down. Actually, other than the bridges you can run al the way to Melbourne without hitting no wake zones. It's a great place test boats.

J Mitch

onesubdrvr
01-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Just run north up the Indian River. Once you get past the last bridge there isn't a no wake zone until you get to Harbor branch. I run through there at 60+ MPH all the time. The intercoastal does have a 30MPH speed limit but it is never enforced.
After The short No wake at Harbor Branch you can run for another 5 miles without slowing down. Actually, other than the bridges you can run al the way to Melbourne without hitting no wake zones. It's a great place test boats.

J MitchCool, I was gonna say, this past weekend I was around Stuart, coming from PSL (Via North Fork), and saw no PoPo / etc. I can imagine the further north you go past stuart in the Indian River, the less monitored it is, can'd wait until the swap is done.

Wayne