PDA

View Full Version : what guages to buy for my 18 classic

lee
01-05-2005, 12:00 AM
am using a mercury 454 was wondering if any of the company's like teleflex or fiera will work wirh my merc sending units. my donzi is a 1968 classic v-drive and was wondering about the gas tank in my boat it is factory but my boat had no guages in when bought it so i have no idea what kind of fuel guage will work my deck is off now so i can install any parts needed so i figure if anything has to be done to the tank should be now

mattyboy
01-05-2005, 07:27 AM
Lee,
I replaced all my old teleflex with new teleflex redline int'l gauges, I thought they looked more original to a 67 and they tied in the colors of the boat red white and black, You should decide on what you want the dash to look like then select a gauge, Bertramboy and KJLY just put in stewart warners for the original look on their projects, either way get new senders to match your gauges, your gas gauge might also be a site gauge in the floor I know the 16 has one and some older 18's have them too, I never had an electric gauge but I upgraded to it when "WE" put in my new tank and the teleflex worked with the sending unit provided by the tank MFG they seem to be pretty much standard.
some choices are faria, stewart warner, gaffrig,teleflex
do a search on "pearson's dash" "it comes out of hiebernation"
look at the photos gallery of 2004 events dustoff look at Di's and Bertramboy's baby blue 16, 1000 islands I think has a shot of my dash with my son in it

hope that helps

penbroke
01-05-2005, 07:40 AM
...my donzi is a 1968 classic ... the gas tank in my boat it is factory ... my deck is off now so i can install any parts needed so i figure if anything has to be done to the tank should be now

If the tank is indeed original you may want to look in to replacing it now...

Frank
oops, I said the "T" word. :umbrella:

mattyboy
01-05-2005, 07:46 AM
If the tank is indeed original you may want to look in to replacing it now...

Frank
oops, I said the "T" word. :umbrella:

yeah just don't use the F word ;) :p

Frank is right the tank should be replaced if it is original . should be a silver tag on it with MFG and date of tank
Frank just replaced his and upgraded the size so he's the one to talk to.

JimG
01-05-2005, 07:59 AM
I used Teleflex Heavy Duty gauges... they were the closest I could find to a "vintage" look.

mattyboy
01-05-2005, 08:03 AM
here's Di' s dash stewart warner

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=937&password=&sort=1&cat=515&page=5

not a great shot of mine but oh well teleflex

http://www.donzi.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1178&password=&sort=1&cat=519&page=1

here's Scott Pearson's faria
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6391

and here's KJLY's cig dash also stewart warner
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3650

Andy McCarty
01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
Hey MATTYBOY who's burnt orange boat is that? Wh:cool: at is it? IT is sweeeeet:yes: . Would love to have one that color. And that Condition. It amazes me how much the donzi family takes care of their boats. Everyone takes such pride in the Donzi name on this board. Its just amazing...

lighthouse
01-05-2005, 08:41 AM
am using a mercury 454 was wondering if any of the company's like teleflex or fiera will work wirh my merc sending units. my donzi is a 1968 classic v-drive and was wondering about the gas tank in my boat it is factory but my boat had no guages in when bought it so i have no idea what kind of fuel guage will work my deck is off now so i can install any parts needed so i figure if anything has to be done to the tank should be now

I would go with Gaffrig guages, they make the new 270 sweep oil, temp, volt, very nice looking.
Also replace your senders, oil and temp, fuel is pretty standard, so you should not have to replace it.
One way to tell is put a volt meter on the fuel sender and read the ohms. most are 240 to 33.

penbroke
01-05-2005, 09:44 AM
yeah just don't use the F word ;) :p

I was saving that one for you Matty. :yes:

Frank :wink:

JimG
01-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Go Livorsi if you go aftermarket.

Gaffrig used to make a black face/chrome rim gauge that looked very vintage. (I discovered them after I went Teleflex HD, no regrets though!) Livorsi may offer the same color combo now.

Jim

mattyboy
01-05-2005, 10:09 AM
see the teleflex hd looks so much like SW i thought they were??? :pI know the cig had SW

Moody Blu'
01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
heres my gaffrig II's

heres my gaffrig II's
the gauge cluster has all SLIMLINE chrome bezels, the regular ones wont fit. the speedo and hour meter have regular size chrome bezels. I think it adds a custom look. I love them! ;)

Dr. Dan
01-06-2005, 08:43 AM
:wavey: We went with the Livorsi, and a New Panel...and some Bling Bling Bezels....worked out well with the new Wheel too.

Doc :smash:

You can see more pics under a search for "Blue Pill"...something about Preventative Medicine....mixing Merc Parts and King Cobras....it was just silly!.....What was I thinking? :smash:

McGary911
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey MATTYBOY who's burnt orange boat is that? Wh:cool: at is it? IT is sweeeeet:yes: . Would love to have one that color. And that Condition. It amazes me how much the donzi family takes care of their boats. Everyone takes such pride in the Donzi name on this board. Its just amazing...

That's scott pearson's boat. Check it out in the registry. In person it's even nicer.

as for Gaffrig vs. Livorsi. There used to be 2 Livorsis. Gaffrig by Livorsi and Gaffrig Precision instruments. 2 different companies. Court decision finally came down, and now Gaffrig precision is the only gaffrig. The thing is, that most feel that the gaffrig by livorsi were far surperior, so these days if you want the "good ones", get fill your dash with Livorsi Marine gauges

mattyboy
01-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Pearson, there ya go another fan of the pumpkin, you know the drill
normal fee send check or money order for 5 bucks you have my address ;) :p :rlol:

Andy McCarty
01-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Yeah mattyboy certainly another fan of the burnt orange. That is an awsome looking boat. Of Course i've not seen a boat on this forum that isn't. I would love to find the time to restore one of these old beauties. I have the space just not enough time :banghead: . I admire all of your guys enthusiasm and expertise. I will continue the look and dream over your boats and maybe one day soon i will take the plundge into the classic world. :cool!: