PDA

View Full Version : Life Vests (Where to get good ones)

Ranman
04-27-2001, 04:18 PM
Does anyone have any info on "good" life vests. I want one to wear while driving and I cant imagine how I'd look in one of those orange things. Does someone make a "performance: vest? What does Reggie wear? Any help is appreciated.

digitalMan
04-27-2001, 06:38 PM
I've been thinking about picking up a couple of those inflatable types. They are supposedly coast guard approved now, and they are very comfortable to where. The only thing that makes me nervous is the effectiveness for an unconscious victim.

Anybody have any input?

Bryan Tuvell
04-27-2001, 06:51 PM
Go to the US Coast Gaurd site for specifics, the type vest BEST for safety depends on where you boat, but remember, only ONE type will flip an unconcious boater! Type threes are generally sport jackets, type two is best but if you boat fast, off shore, an off shore jacket is best suited, the linings are diiferent than the rest for longer life. Many jackets are USCG approved, that only means they meet a minimum standard.
Good luck, Bryan

hey i looked up a good link that may help.
www.uscgboating.org/reg/reg_fr_equipReq_PFD.asp (http://www.uscgboating.org/reg/reg_fr_equipReq_PFD.asp)

[This message has been edited by Bryan Tuvell (edited 04-27-2001).]

Riley
04-27-2001, 08:10 PM
I'd check with your local PWC dealer. I sell the "Slippery" brand of equipment to dealers here in Northern Michigan, with styles, colors, and options for nearly every boater. Not trying for a shameless plug here, but the Slippery stuff IS pretty nice. Slippery offers type 3 and type 5 USCG Approved PFD's. Most of the Slippery vests are impact tested to 100 mph for strength, but not for personal injury protection. Slippery is available nation wide, and if any of you would like more info drop me an email with your address and I'll send you a product catalog. Email to rpmco@lighthouse.net

Sam
04-27-2001, 09:32 PM
There are many vests on the market today , most of which will keep your face out of the water should you find your self there. But that's only half the battle. If I am reading you correctly you are looking for a " High speed/impact jacket. When I was a kid racing hydro's and runabouts our jackets had to meet certain specs.They all had high rolled collars with large frontal flotation pockets to keep you from rolling over. That's all well and good, but the main thing is to keep you and the jacket as one. That requires leg straps and a general snug fit. You won't find that in your run of the mill marine supply store. I have seen many jackets claim to be good for 100 mph, unless they have leg straps they are no better than your average ski vest. If you are serious I would recommend you contact the APBA or any racing association for the latest in high speed jackets. Try a simple web search I'm sure you will find something, good luck.

Sam

Blewbyu
04-27-2001, 11:50 PM
Check out the Stearns Trophy Model 4185.Has (3)2' straps across chest(long straps)with large buckles,rolled collar lined with polar fleece,LARGE lined pockets,LEG STRAPS,WHISTLE in breast pocket,large arm holes,"100 MPH CERTIFIED",reflective tape(silver)around top,and comes in Silver with black straps and pockets.T-III,a copy of their USCGA orange vest w/little less slvr tape.All sizes currently available.I just bought one,and I believe I will wear it ALL the time-very comfortable.Retail about $89.95 at most outlets.Westmarine has em.Look for pic on www.stearnsinc.com.The (http://www.stearnsinc.com.The) 4185ORG is the USCGA SAR model in orange for $79.00.More tape too.My son bought the orange model,and we discovered the orange fabric is stiffer(heavier wt).The coasties like these vests around here!

GEOO
04-28-2001, 07:12 AM
Ranman,
Most racers use Lifeline Jackets. I own two of them for running Poker Run's. The standard color is Orange, but can be made in any color combination. These are considered the safest. But they are not Coast Guard Approved. GEOO

RickR
04-28-2001, 07:13 AM
Ranman
If you want one for general driving an inflatable or a neoprene are the most comfortable. They are Type III
The neoprenes are around $100. They are soft and very comfortable. Overtons or Ski World.

For high performance a Type II (will float you face up most of the time) or a Type I (will float you head up all the time) are safer.

The best is a Lifeline ($$$$) brand, that is what Reggie and everyone else wears while racing.

Tommie and I go offshore alot so we have Type III Ski Jackets for swimming and two Type Is under the bow, just in case http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
RICKR
mailto:riggerb@aol.comriggerb@aol.com</A>

Forrest
04-30-2001, 09:28 AM
I agree with RickR, if you go offshore and somehow you end up floating around out there for a while, you want to be in a Type I life perserver. The only problem is that a Type I is not very wearable while boating. A Type III vest is the most comfortable and is good if you get tossed out, but you better be close to shore, your boat, or have someone pick you up. You don't want to be in rough water very long wearing a Type III. I keep four Type I's, two adult and two kid size Type II's, a Type IV (required by law), and a couple Type III's, on the Magnum for running in the Gulf of Mexico.

------------------
Forrest

[This message has been edited by Forrest (edited 04-30-2001).]

Ranman
04-30-2001, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I would like to look into the Lifeline vests as they sound like what I'm looking for. Can anyone tell me where to find them? I never truly go offshore as I boat mainly on inland lakes. I would however feel more comfortable wearing a decent vest when I'm flying her out on lake St. Clair (which is big for me). My boat only goea 70 http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif. (60-65) in rough water. I don't float so well so a bit more protection may be in order. Thanks again.