PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Marine or Gil Exhaust

Pismo
01-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Which replacement system should I choose for my totally stock 1996 502 Magnum MPI GenVI with Mercruiser's Silent Choice system which I want to keep in a 22 Donzi Classic in fresh water with stock Bravo 1 drive and 25" MiragePlus prop.

Both kits supposedly come with all necessary brackets and in "Silent Choice" versions.

My priorites/concerns are ease of installation, performance, reliability.

I have heard the installation of the Gil Magnum Choice system requires some work to get it to fit.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SL

DON N.
01-04-2005, 10:41 AM
If You Choose Stainless Marine Let Me Know, I Need To Know What Bolts And Brackets Are Needed. I Have The Manifolds + Hoses + Small Assortment Of Bolts . I Have To Get Gaskets ( Engine To Manifolds ) + Exhaust Manifold Bolts + Any Brackets Needed.

Tomahawk
01-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I used the Stainless Marine kit on my '96 22 Classic with 454 Mag. Complete bolt on installation. No troubles and it works.
Most of the guys I know are using Stainless Marine as well. Besides, Brownie, of Stainless Marine, is a member here and was a key figure at Donzi "several" years ago. Call him. You can trust what he says.

fasttrucker
01-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Ive got stainless marine in my donzi.If you plan to keep your boat for along time I would go with them.

Ed Donnelly
01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I've got Stainless Marine on my Criterion and love it. Brownie is great to deal with...................Ed

Pismo
01-05-2005, 11:04 AM
Tomahawk,

Thanks
Any performance gain?

SL

Sam
01-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Stainless here, very easy to install and a breeze to remove.

Sam

Tomahawk
01-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Pismo - well, yes, I guess. What I did was install the Stainless Marine exhaust and change props at the same time. I picked up about three mph but really don't know how much to attribute to the exhaust or the prop. Went from a Mirage Plus 23 to a Precision Turbo 25. That combination works for me but it makes the evaluation a bit fuzzy - sorry.
Brownie told me to expect about 200 rpm and a couple mph and that seems right. Takes quite a bit of weight out of the back of the boat too. Before installing, I compared the size of the ports between stock and Stainless and there is a big difference. Has to be beneficial.
I would encourage you to call Brownie at Satinless Marine in Miami at 305 681 7893. A very knowledgeable guy and, as has been said, great to deal with.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-05-2005, 09:26 PM
STAINLESS MARINE

The Donzi.net used to have a step by step thread from my 502 Gen VI install on my last boat, '01 26ZX.
trust me, SMarine is the way to go.
EASY install, getting the old risers off was the only issue, and you also have to grind a 1/4" of the oil filter bracket.

Here are a few pic's from my install. Last Pic is of my Buddy BILLR's install, he was chief tech installing mine...
I gave up on looking for any more pictures, I do have more but it is bed time.

SCOT, can we REPOST my thread that used to be posted? It was step by step.

Bryan

MOP
01-05-2005, 09:34 PM
If You Choose Stainless Marine Let Me Know, I Need To Know What Bolts And Brackets Are Needed. I Have The Manifolds + Hoses + Small Assortment Of Bolts . I Have To Get Gaskets ( Engine To Manifolds ) + Exhaust Manifold Bolts + Any Brackets Needed.

Don a suggestion I have done quite few a swaps I use S/S studs to mount to the heads, it makes install and future removal real easy no juggling and no damaged head threads.

Phil

ToonaFish
01-05-2005, 09:55 PM
SCOT, can we REPOST my thread that used to be posted? It was step by step.

And had a graphic photograph of your can, if memory serves... :biggrin.:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-05-2005, 10:04 PM
POODLE
At this point in my life, Beer Cans are my only issue, no more home installs for me.
Pictures attached OF MY CANS to rest your mind.
Bryan :)

ToonaFish
01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
POODLE
At this point in my life, Beer Cans are my only issue, no more home installs for me.
Pictures attached OF MY CANS to rest your mind.
Bryan :)

Man, you know a guy is happily married when he mistakes me for Poodle...

DON N.
01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Phil, Where Would I Get The S.s. Studs + What Size ,also What Torque Do You Use ? Also I Guess I Need Brackets . Maybe Tuna Will Have Some Ideas .

DON N.
01-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Thats What I Need But I Wouldn't Know Where Exactly They Should Be Welded + Seems Like That Welding Would Screw Up The Chrome Finish , I'm Beginning To Think I Should Have Passed These Up !

The Hedgehog
01-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Did you notice any performance gains? Did you need to have the ECU reprogrammed?

Did you utilize the factory Captain's Call?

MOP
01-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Scot I disagree on the S/S stud issue it makes the job easier going together and when you have to pull it apart it comes apart easy. Over the years I have seen guys pull the first few threads out of the heads a fair amount of times. The other advantages whether it be bolts or studs is corrosion in the bolt bores, it is non existent with S/S. The heads are coarse thread the studs can be fully sunk in the heads giving full holding the nut end is fine thread giving much better values. My 383 has all stainless hardware inclusive of the ARP S/S head bolts (Totally is the only company authorized by ARP). My source below.

http://totallystainless.net/totally.html

The post below shows the brackets I made up for the pack and converter, may be of interest. I had to mount the converter out board due to fuel the fuel line on the 750. Mounting it out board turned out to be better than stock as the cable to the drive does not have the tight bends it runs very free which should extend its life.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36202

DON N.
01-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Scott Would I Send You Both Risers ?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-06-2005, 09:09 PM
When you order them, they will have ONE stock bracket as needed for linkage etc.
EVERYTHING was an exact match for my 2001 gen VI 502, NO issues on hook up. There was NO extra charge.
Buy new, piece of cake install, as I said, getting the old ones off may be the biggest challenge.
Best of luck.
Bryan