PDA

View Full Version : SAT Radio setups

JP BRESCIA
01-02-2005, 09:17 PM
For the second time I have purchased an older 18C that has been untouched with regards to adding equipment like a radio and trimtabs. The 22 came with one and the family and I really enjoyed it last season. With the other 18 I had I decided to install tabs but could never get myself to cut holes in it for a radio/speakers. Not that I am incapable of doing it but I respect these boats alot and feel guilty for being the owner that changed something. However, I also respect the fact that I put alot of effort out to be able to boat with my family and I want to have the best experience I can each and every trip. So I am determined to come up with a solution that will provided tunes as well as maintain an unmolested look.
I have thought about going the route of Sat Radio for the boat. My reception usually stinks and cd's skip quite a bit but most of all I can listen to the NASCAR races....
I came up with what I thought was a good solution. Buy the XM receiver with the small remote. Mount the receiver next to the amp both hidden under the bow and wire the remote through the back of the "glove box" cubby so it can sit inside hidden away. The set up is nice and clean. There is one major problem. Volume control..... :bonk: The XM receiver has a function called output control =/- but it did nothing to change the volume. I don't want to have to use a traditional receiver just as a slave for volume control. Plus, that means another remote to control the volume. :banghead: I could use an XM ready receiver but I have not been able to find one with a small wired remote like you can get with the XM roady and the like. I found one with a wired remote but it had to be flush mounted to the dash. I am looking for some suggestions as to SAT Radio setups or tips for discrete radio setups.

Pismo
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
My only comment is to NOT buy the lifetime one time fee package from Sirius. The $499 one time subscription fee sounds like a deal at first but it is good only for the life of the radio, not the buyer, so it is a huge scam. If you radio dies in a year or two then your subscription expires.

John W
01-03-2005, 07:03 PM
JP,
I put a stereo in my sweet 16. I put the stereo in the port kick panel about 12 inches or so up from the deck. I think it was a JVC and put in the wired remote on the dash. Worked pretty good and it was marinized. As far as thesat radio I put on in my big rig. I went to West marine and bought a clearance radio for $100.00, then bought the antenna for another 100.00, Sirius at the time offered a free tuner when you bought the stereo and antenna. Now you can buy the tuner for about $50.00, the antenna is ugly and you need to figure that in, and where to put it. I think i read that Srirus now has and Ipod type reciever, that you can somehow hook to your car or boat stereo for about 150.00. That might be the way to go, then you can move the ting to car , belt or Boat.
I like the Sirius programming and i buy it 6 months at a time. i hope to add it my truck, awesome tunes.
Good Luck
JW :beer:

DickB
01-03-2005, 09:30 PM
There is one major problem. Volume control..... :bonk: The XM receiver has a function called output control =/- but it did nothing to change the volume. I don't want to have to use a traditional receiver just as a slave for volume control. All you need to control the volume is a stereo potentiometer spliced in between the XM receiver and amp. You could mount this as a wired remote volume control almost anywhere. If you're handy with a soldering iron you could wire one up yourself. If not here's one that I found in a search which should plug right in (RCA connections on the back) although the style might not be what you want:
http://www.hometech.com/audio/linevol.html

harbormaster
01-03-2005, 09:58 PM
I have a Roady 2 XM radio and it rocks. Its small, portable, has an audio output as well as a built in fm modulator. It has a built in volume level control. You can even change the color of the display. I cannot recommend it enough!! You can get good deals on them on ebay ( about 99 bucks). I also have the optional wireless remote.

JP BRESCIA
01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Harbormaster... You mentioned that the Roady 2 has a volume control. Does the volume control work using the rca outputs ? FM modulator? or both? I am looking for a unit that the volume control works the RCA outputs. I have heard that the FM mudulator can produce some static, especially on boats. I also like the Roady display and think that you lose quite a bit of display info/options when using an XM ready receiver made by the typical players(jvc, pioneer, etc.)

John W. The antenna I looked at for the XM Roady was very small (size of a mouse).

Dick B... Thanksd for the info. It looks like that could solve my issue.

Thanks again fella's