PDA

View Full Version : Emron vs Dupont

vrod02
01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Just when i was sold on emron a local boater interested me on duponts 2k urethane. Supposedly the dupont is half the cost, thicker,harder and goes on in a single stage. Prep is 220 grit. My boat is the other allmand/supernova F_nscreen talked about in Brownie where are you. I've painted many cars before including some fiberglass but this is my first boat job. Any advice from the experienced would be nice. Thanks Barry

RedDog
01-02-2005, 08:22 PM
no help, but I thought Emron (Imron) was a Dupont product?

f_inscreenname
01-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Hey Brownie is supposed to back tomorrow. As for the paint. I aint got a clue. I used Interflux sprayed on. I love / hate feeling about there product. The red paint is near indestructible and hold a good gloss. The white on the other hand wants to peal off like it is allowing water under it. I have waxed it a couple times with no help. I came to the conclusion that I will have to keep touching it up till I can strip it down and reshoot it. Why the red is fine and the white is crap I don't know. The only thing it may be was the primer. Used two different kinds on the deck and sides.
Red Dog?? Hummmmm:beer:

Ed Donnelly
01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
I did my 16' with Imron Black and dark gray.. It was never left in the water for more than 2 days at a time. Sold it when the Imron paint job was 10 yrs. old. Still looked like new...Ed

smokediver
01-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Imron is a DuPont paint .....

marcdups
01-03-2005, 09:44 AM
F inscr, paint is a lot more tempremental specially when applied to fiberglass or gel, a minute amount of moisture will make the paint peel and not adhere which sounds to me that that is your problem, bet the red is a sheer or boot stripe and it is the deck or transom that are peeling ??

DonziNUTS
01-03-2005, 12:05 PM
From my knowledge Dupont does not own Imron. The division was sold a couple years ago but still holds the DuPont name. Don't ask me my father's friend is in the pigment division for DuPont and if I remeber that Duron bought the Dupont line? I will try to remeber to ask him when I see him.

The Imron today is not the same as the old timer are used to back in the 70's....EPA stepped in on that one. Todays urethanes are great and I think are better than others.

PPG also has a good urethane paint line.