PDA

View Full Version : SEADOG's 2005 calendar of events

Last Tango
12-30-2004, 08:32 PM
A semi-official listing of the major events that the SouthEast Area Donzi Owners Group (SEADOGs) generally attend each year. You will see there is plenty of room in the schedule for more events, but generally these are the biggies.

January 1st - Each year the SEADOGS take this special day to prove that the boating year begins on DAY ONE of the calandar by boating in their home waters and then pissing off the folks up north with pictures.
February: Madpoodle kicks the events calendar year off every February by hosting the SEADOGS at the Miami Boat Show
March: TidBart leads the gang each March to the Mt. Dora Wooden Boat Show. NEW LUNCH STOP SATURDAY - THE CRAZY GATOR
April: Last Tango hosts the SEADOGS along with all other DONZI owners at the Angel Aid Poker Run in Jacksonville
May: Bolts from the MidWest Donzi's hosts one of the largest Donzi gatherings each year at AOTH in Cumberland, KY
October: MikeMiller hosts the one and only best Donzi event of the year in Sarasota at the Donzi Hometown Gathering, which is supported in many ways by the Donzi Factory. October 14, 15, 16

ChromeGorilla
12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Mark it was hard keepin my mouth shut for the last few weeks. lol I hope we get a big turnout. It's a great chance for everyone to see how great of a boating area this is! Hopefully we get some northerners down here...hint hint Dan, Air 22 and the rest of the crew up there! Someone can stay at my place for the weekend if they wish. I'm 35 mins from the Hooters/FGTC. I have an extra room for any board member that would like it. Hope to see y'all down here!

onesubdrvr
12-31-2004, 03:46 PM
Well, being from Jacksonville (originally), I plan on trying to make that one, as long as I learn how to stomach the laughing of having a Ragazza, although, if I get the swap done, could be interesting,....

Wayne

Last Tango
02-13-2005, 09:01 AM
SEADOGs first major event of the year is THIS weekend at the Miami Boat show!

David O
02-15-2005, 06:01 AM
If anyone is interested, The U S Navy Blue Angels perform over Pensacola Beach on July 1st and 2nd (Friday and Saturday) with the 4th of July fireworks show over the beach on Monday. This is by far the best way to see the air show I have ever seen and I have been to many of them.
Accommodations are going to be hard to come by since we have so few left but being rebuilt daily. Stuart says the boats can all be kept and launched at the Yacht Club so safe boat storage will not be a problem and rooms in town should be available. Naturally the sooner reservations are made the better.
With the 4th being on Monday it will be a 3 day weekend for most so anyone ever thinking of visiting this area this will be a good weekend and the most active weekend of the summer here in Pensacola.
Let me know if any of you are interested in coming and what your preferences are for accommodations and I will see what is available.
The 7 local classics already interested are thinking, Friday watch the blues, Saturday a run to the Ft. Walton/Destin area, Sunday a run to the Gulf Beach, AL area, Monday stay at Pensacola Beach for the fireworks. Or just stay in the Pensacola beach area all weekend and enjoy the views.

http://www.visitpensacolabeach.com/

Last Tango
02-15-2005, 08:52 AM
If David O works out the details, I will add this to the official SEADOGS Ecalendar above. Sounds like a LOT of Fun. I can't leave Jax until Friday, so I hope we do the Angels on Saturday or Sunday instead of Friday.

David O
02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
What details?
It is happening, add it to the calendar if you want.
If anyone would like to attend let us know as I suggested and I will do what ever is needed to help you with your plans.
Keep in mind this is northwest Forida we are not all hung up on details, schedules, etc. Simple would you like to come "yes or no" if yes we will help you, if no that's OK also.
We would love to have all of you but leave your stress at home.
This is the same event
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38581

David

David O
02-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Mark
The official day for the air show is Saturday. They do a full practice day on Friday. Both days draw about the same crowds with many people watching the show stuck in traffic on the bridges. Boat is the only way to go.
Yes, realizing many may have to used Friday as their travel day, going to the show on Saturday would be the best for all.
I hate that the 4th is on a Monday and many would have to use that day as their return travel day but plenty of fun can still be had on Saturday and Sunday.

If we can get a good head count on all that are interested and the rooms needed I will make some calls to see what can be lined up.

apollo24
02-15-2005, 03:29 PM
All,

This really will be one of the, if not THE best venue and weekend ever to have a meet. The Blue Angels are based here and they will be putting on two kick-ass shows. While all the posers sit on the beach or sit stuck in traffic in their mini-vans, their girlfriends and all of us will be riding in style in beautiful blue waters. Everyone withing 10 hours should be making plans to attend. We'll work out the hotels in the next week or so. It's a long weekend, and a great weekend to be in a Donzi. Last year there were a bunch of Cigs and Fountains rafted up. It would be even classier to see 20 or so Donzis in town for this. I may even bring the South Alabama Donzi girls (if they aren't working that wknd.)

BUIZILLA
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Any RV parks local on the water, preferably with a ramp??

JH

onesubdrvr
02-15-2005, 03:40 PM
All,

This really will be one of the, if not THE best venue and weekend ever to have a meet. The Blue Angels are based here and they will be putting on two kick-ass shows. While all the posers sit on the beach or sit stuck in traffic in their mini-vans, their girlfriends and all of us will be riding in style in beautiful blue waters. Everyone withing 10 hours should be making plans to attend. We'll work out the hotels in the next week or so. It's a long weekend, and a great weekend to be in a Donzi. Last year there were a bunch of Cigs and Fountains rafted up. It would be even classier to see 20 or so Donzis in town for this. I may even bring the South Alabama Donzi girls (if they aren't working that wknd.)
Damn,

mapquest says 10 hours 12 minutes,.... oh well, sorry

Just kidding, Sounds like it could be a blast, and as the wife has family in Milton, could be a good stop!

Wayne

boxy
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Keep in mind this is northwest Forida we are not all hung up on details, schedules, etc....... We would love to have all of you but leave your stress at home.
David
David, I knew I liked you, you're welcome in the 1000 Islands anytime........ :D :D
Agenda, what agenda

Last Tango
02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I plan to be there with the 18 and my spousal unit. We will arrive on Friday. Depart on Monday.

I strongly encourage all SEADOGs to attend.

I would be interested in whatever hotel accomodations you decide upon. (PS This is the "detail" I was referrring to above).

David O
02-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Any RV parks local on the water, preferably with a ramp??

JH
Buiz, That's a good question, there used to be one in the Navarre area which is halfway between Pensacola and Ft. Walton. Not sure if they have or had a boat ramp. Most of the RV sites are still filled up with FEMA trailers with many of the locals still living in them. I will check with the Yacht club and see what they say about parking your RV there.
I know over the years when we have had national sailing races here at the club there have been RV's tents etc parked and pitched all over the grounds.
will get back with ya.
David

David O
02-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Check out the Milton and Navarre areas, both would be about the same distance by boat to the airshow at Pensacola Beach.
Navarre would be my choice.
Not sure if any are on the water and or have ramps but there should be ramps near by.
Arrangements for campers at the Yacht Club will still be the best if we can pull it off.
David

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/florida/northwest.html#Navarre

David O
02-16-2005, 08:31 AM
The first two would be my choice for in town motels. This is the link I got these from.
http://www.orbitz.com/App/PerformDatelessHotelSearch?keywordPIB=pensacola,FL&semsource=goto&semkeyword=pensacola+motel&OVRAW=pensacola%20motels&OVKEY=pensacola%20motel&OVMTC=standard

Any of the ones on Pensacola Beach from the link would be nice but the traffic is a nightmare if caught at the wrong time of day. If leaving the beach in the mornings to come to town and get your boat from the Yacht Club and then returning late in the afternoon to the beach you should have no problem. On the days of the airshow you must be on the beach by 8:30 AM or subject to be stuck in traffic.
Staying on the Beach is BY FAR the best choice for the beauty of it all and the traffic can be worked around with proper timing. So look at the link and make some calls, some are not open yet due to repairs.

From $98* Hampton Inn Pensacola-Airport (Cordova Mall)

2187 Airport Blvd, Pensacola, FL 32504 | Map
3.9 Miles North of Pensacola (City Center)
Hampton Inn Pensacola-Airport is located in the heart of Pensacola's Cordova Business District, approximately 500 yards from Pensacola Regional Airport. We are .2 mile from Cordova Lanes and Cordova Mall/Cinema and... More
Amenities include Swimming Pool, Fitness Room
More hotel and room details

Crowne Plaza Hotel PENSACOLA GRAND

200 E GREGORY STREET, Pensacola, FL 32501 | Map
0.4 Miles Southeast of Pensacola (City Center)
Restored historic L&N train depot houses lobby, meeting rooms, restaurant and lounge. Fifteen story glass tower attached to train depot by a glass atrium houses guest rooms. This hotel is committed to providing... More
Amenities include Swimming Pool, Fitness Room, Restaurant

From $56* Ramada Inn Bayview

7601 Scenic Highway, Pensacola, FL 32504 | Map
6.7 Miles Northeast of Pensacola (City Center)
Conveniently located off Interstate 10 at Exit #17. Only minutes from the beach, shopping malls and local attractions. Ramada Bayview is the closest hotel to the airport and offers complimentary USA Today, Monday... More
Amenities include Swimming Pool, Restaurant, Fitness Room

From $106* Residence Inn by Marriott Pensacola Downtown

601 East Chase Street, Pensacola, FL 32502 | Map
0.9 Miles East of Pensacola (City Center)
Please note the Residence Inn Pensacola Downtown is not accepting reservations through the end of 2004. All rooms are currently occupied by area residents displaced by Hurricane Ivan! // Residence Inn by Marriott... More
Amenities include Swimming Pool, Fitness Room

p729lws
02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Both of the Navarre campgrounds from David O's link are on the water but do not have docks or ramps. Don't know if they will let you beach a boat or not.

Yacht club would be much better for camping if available.

The Pensacola Grand hotel is a good hotel and close to the yacht club. I also like New World Landing http://www.newworldlanding.com/HTML/inn.htm which is also downtown.

How many rooms are we looking for, ballpark?

Dan

ToonaFish
02-17-2005, 10:22 AM
This looks fabulous! If you polar bears have never experienced the waters of the Gulf Coast, you really need to look long and hard at this event!

apollo24
02-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Now we need some advice from those of you who've organized other meets. How do you go about blocking rooms? What is the commitment as far as $$$ and # of rooms? Please advise. It would be nice if we could all stay in the same area. Sounds like the yacht club will accomodate the boats (awesome venue) but if we can get rooms nearby and together, that would be even better.

-Ben

Last Tango
02-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Blocking rooms is easy. Pick the hotel YOU would want to stay at if you were a stranger coming to this event. Nice motel/hotel, under $75 a night (if that is possible in your area) and close to the Yacht Club and the launch area. Once you pick the hotel, call the reservations desk and ask for the group bookings person. Tell that person you are "interested" in booking 10 rooms for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night July 1-3. Tell them you want the folks who are coming to call them and book individually under the group name - "Donzi Club", which is always easy for callers to remember. Tell the hotel that if they haven't filled the block by 21 days before the event, they can release the remaining rooms to the public. There might be a "contract" but you should not have to lay down any deposit. If they want deposit money for the rooms, go somewhere else.
From the 10 rooms, you want a 60/40 split of Non-smoking to Smoking, and about the same split for kings and doubles. Early callers get what they want. Actually EVERYONE will get what they want, they just have to call early and book it.
Then post the name of the hotel, phone number, and a weblink if they have one (for directions and special accomodations...like a 24 hour bar :biggrin: ).
Then WE do the rest. Your local buds will probably stay at home and commute to the event, so the 10 rooms are for us out-of-towners.
If Madpoodle moves this section to its own thread, be sure to EDIT your first post with a title like "SEADOGs on July 4th" and then make any editorial changes necessary to make it look like it was it's own post to begin with. Remember to edit that first post with the hotel info when you get it.
I have already added this event to the official SEADOGs calendar. The rest is pretty much up to you.
Thanks for doing this!

Last Tango
02-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Miami Boat Show weekend is over. Thanks, MadPoodle, for hosting a great weekend!

Next up is Mt. Dora. Make your final plans now. If you don't already have your hotel room booked... well, you waited way too long. Go to the Mt. Dora thread and let us know that you are coming so we can plan the number of reservations needed for the Crazy Gator. If you are planning on launching at the city ramp in Mt. Dora, forget it. However there are many excellent ramps and parks very close by. I'll be launching at Trimble Park around 10:30AM

Last Tango
04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Time for a bump...
Angel Aid Poker Run this weekend. We have 19 Donzi's registered of the 40 current registrations.

Last Tango
06-20-2005, 08:25 PM
David O has cancelled the July 4th event due to problems getting enough space at a reasonable price. Rebuilding the hotels wiped out last year by the hurricanes is not progressing a quickly as everyone thought. Recently repaired roads are closed again along the beach front, destroyed by Tropical Storm Arlene this month. I-10 East is a total zoo since the spans were destroyed and repaired with temporary metal sections which limit traffic to a single lane in that direction. Span is dicy for boat trailers as the metal grating "steers" the trailers from side to side.
Maybe next year...

gcarter
06-20-2005, 08:56 PM
I wandered into the county park located at the junction of the Silver River and the Ocklawaha River today.
I asked if the trees left over from last years storms had been cleared out of the river.
(Reminder) we couldn't get there in March during the Mt Dora event.
The lady manning the entrance booth told me they had. During April, the Corps of Engineers cleared the river.
Good news!!! :biggrin.: :yes: :beer:
So if anyone wants to pick up where we left off, let me know.
Budmann & Fishboy seemed interested in a Harris Chain of Lakes run while chatting this weekend.
Any time during July or August would be nice.
I haven't seen the crap in the lakes like we did in the river this weekend or at Cumberland. Kind of nice running in a straight line without playing "dodgem". :eek!: :eek!: ;)

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 09:34 PM
I wandered into the county park located at the junction of the Silver River and the Ocklawaha River today.
I asked if the trees left over from last years storms had been cleared out of the river.
The lady manning the entrance booth told me they had. During April, the Corps of Engineers cleared the river.
Budmann & Fishboy seemed interested in a Harris Chain of Lakes run while chatting this weekend.
I haven't seen the crap in the lakes like we did in the river this weekend or at Cumberland. Kind of nice running in a straight line without playing "dodgem". :eek!: :eek!: ;)
George,
I don't know if I'll have my boat back by then, my new one, or nothing, but I'd LOVE to make that run, from what everyone says, sounds beautiful!! So tentatively count me in!!

Wayne

Cuda
06-20-2005, 10:13 PM
It's funny this came up tonight. Just this evening my neighbor asked me if I'd ever made that trip. I told him about it being closed by trees earlier this year.

sweet 16 1966
06-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Cuda, you missed out on one cold trip! We did not want to turn back but had no choice. I understand according to George, we were close to the Silver River when we turned back.

Budmann
06-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Sounds good to me!! Just post the time and date and Fish and Donzi Jodi will be there.

sweet 16 1966
06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Some will remember this...

sweet 16 1966
06-21-2005, 11:19 AM
What size pics did Mad Poodle suggest we send?

gcarter
06-21-2005, 03:26 PM
Hay guys, I live here so it's easy for me to be available to help.
Lets try to take a concensus of a date and go for it.
In the meantime, Elaine and I will try out the newly cleared river, just to be sure........
So sometime after the 4th and before Labor day.
Lets put this together!!!

Greg K
06-21-2005, 03:43 PM
Sure to be a good time and great boating at this Donzi gathering, July 29-31.
Savannah Lakes Resort @ Strom Thurmond Lake (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39997)

Cuda
06-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Hay guys, I live here so it's easy for me to be available to help.
Lets try to take a concensus of a date and go for it.
In the meantime, Elaine and I will try out the newly cleared river, just to be sure........
So sometime after the 4th and before Labor day.
Lets put this together!!!
George, let me know when you going on the recon mission, Deb and I might splash and go with you.