PDA

View Full Version : 4 to 6 cyl conversion

vanstee
12-27-2004, 08:26 AM
I've got an 88 ragazza with the 3.0L and am thinking of changing it to a 4.3 6 cyl. The engines appear to be a dime a dozen. Are the new mounts readly accessable? The Ragazza came with that option. How hard is mating it to the outdrive?
Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin

MOP
12-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Pretty simple change over, wiring harness is the same but tach needs to be reset (small screw on the back), bell housing and coupler are the same, the block part of the mount will need to be changed to the V6-8 style. The drive it self is a slightly lower gear ratio, I am fairly sure that you can make up for it with the right prop. Should be an easy on the pocket swap.

Phil

vanstee
12-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Pretty simple change over, wiring harness is the same but tach needs to be reset (small screw on the back), bell housing and coupler are the same, the block part of the mount will need to be changed to the V6-8 style. The drive it self is a slightly lower gear ratio, I am fairly sure that you can make up for it with the right prop. Should be an easy on the pocket swap.

Phil

Any idea who or where I can get the mounts from? Also, any suggestions on where to get an engine from?

MOP
12-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Maybe a member is thinking of a switching to a V8, don't buy an automotive one the $$ for the marine goodies will run the bill up. Try a post in Wanted here and OSO maybe one of the guys will turn one up, hope for a low hour fresh water unit. The mounts may come with one if not they are available in the catalog.

Phil

vanstee
12-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Maybe a member is thinking of a switching to a V8, don't buy an automotive one the $$ for the marine goodies will run the bill up. Try a post in Wanted here and OSO maybe one of the guys will turn one up, hope for a low hour fresh water unit. The mounts may come with one if not they are available in the catalog.

Phil
Not to sound ignorant, but what's OSO?

MOP
12-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Off Shore Only, you will need to do a log in to be able to post. Many of the guys from the Donzi Net are up there.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/index.php?s=

onesubdrvr
12-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Phil,

While we are on the subject, what is required to go from to a swap on a v6-v8 (88 21' Regazza), I finally have gotten an engine!! :biggrin.: BOTH are OMC.

Thanks!
Wayne

MOP
12-28-2004, 08:05 AM
You need the V8 Y pipe (the 6 is narrower) unless you go through transom with the exhaust, that will turn out to be one of the biggest pain they get real grody where they bolt to the shield. The rest is pretty straight forward, relocate the mounts, fuel line and wire harness forward a few inches to match up with the V8. You will have to set the engine in place with the mounts installed on the engine mark the stringers to get them mounts positioned correctly. Look the stringers over carefully if not in good shape the extra weight and power may do them in! You biggest problem will be just how corroded things have gotten over the years, the rear mount bolts can be nasty. If you run into some real nasties mail me I may have an idea or two that can help.

Phil

onesubdrvr
12-28-2004, 01:56 PM
You need the V8 Y pipe (the 6 is narrower) unless you go through transom with the exhaust, that will turn out to be one of the biggest pain they get real grody where they bolt to the shield. The rest is pretty straight forward, relocate the mounts, fuel line and wire harness forward a few inches to match up with the V8. You will have to set the engine in place with the mounts installed on the engine mark the stringers to get them mounts positioned correctly. Look the stringers over carefully if not in good shape the extra weight and power may do them in! You biggest problem will be just how corroded things have gotten over the years, the rear mount bolts can be nasty. If you run into some real nasties mail me I may have an idea or two that can help.

Phil
As usual Phil, thank-you. This is where my post here will end. I will start a new one when I pick the engine up from my dad's and post my progress lately (and I'm positive I'll be fishing for help from time to time too)!!
Oh Yeah, what kind of top end and cruising speed gain do you project (4.3l 190hp to 5.7 260hp)

Wayne

vanstee
12-28-2004, 02:27 PM
As usual Phil, thank-you. This is where my post here will end. I will start a new one when I pick the engine up from my dad's and post my progress lately (and I'm positive I'll be fishing for help from time to time too)!!
Oh Yeah, what kind of top end and cruising speed gain do you project (4.3l 190hp to 5.7 260hp)

Wayne

What's the status of the 6 you took out of it?

onesubdrvr
12-28-2004, 03:43 PM
What's the status of the 6 you took out of it?
Just kidding, anyway, it is still in the boat (waiting until the 8 is ready to go in). BUT!!! It has a cracked block (between water jacket and intake manifold). It has been welded, but I am a little uncomfortable leaving it that way. Tell ya what though, you can find short blocks pretty cheap, when all is done, if your still interested, maybe I can set you up with the stuff needed to get it to run (distributer, intake manifold, carb, etc.)

Wayne

vanstee
12-28-2004, 04:06 PM
I might be interested. Keep me in mind.