PDA

View Full Version : If a guy bought this motor (HT383) ... ???

Lenny
12-26-2004, 12:20 PM
http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1.aspx?SID=2&Product_ID=459&Category_ID=63

What would he have to do to it in order to put it in a boat?

MOP
12-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Just an opinon you can get more HP & torque building on what you have for a lot less $$. Another thought due to your painful tax stuff, if you were to ship a motor state side to have rebuilt Ya Ya does it come back across duty free?

Phil

boxy
12-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Just an opinon you can get more HP & torque building on what you have for a lot less $$. Another thought due to your painful tax stuff, if you were to ship a motor state side to have rebuilt Ya Ya does it come back across duty free?

Phil

Yes it comes back across duty free, almost everything that has had some value added in North America enters Canada "duty free". Works the same way when the US imports stuff from Canada. or Mexico, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) takes care of that. What we have to pay is 7% Goods and Services Tax (GST), and in my case 8% Provincial Sales Tax (PST) on pretty much everything I purchase, regardless if it was built in Miami, or down the road in Ottawa.

If you were to ship a block down to Rootsy to be built, you should, in theory, pay GST, and PST on the Canadian doolar price of the value that Rootsy added to the motor.

MOP
12-26-2004, 07:32 PM
That HT looks like a real good motor, it sould do well in a boat. Here is the cam spec will it work OK for marine.

14097395 Hydraulic Roller Design
This hydraulic roller design is used on the 383 truck. The duration at lash point in degrees (intake/exhaust) is 288/308; duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 196/206; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 431/451. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 109 degrees.

Phil

BUIZILLA
12-26-2004, 08:22 PM
It could stand a touch more on the bump stick, other than that, it's a good buy.

JH

Bruce B.
12-26-2004, 09:30 PM
I don't know about marine, but i have had an eye on this for my truck. What about the ZZ383 ....http://www.donzi.net/ubb/smile.gif

penbroke
12-26-2004, 09:42 PM
change out the water pump for a marine one. Brass core plugs in the block and heads... That sort of thing...

Frank

Rootsy
12-26-2004, 10:06 PM
That's the stock marine roller camshaft that your 6.2 MX and 350's are all supplied with.. heck i tossed one in the junk last summer cause i couldn't even GIVE IT AWAY...

depending upon exhaust... you could make that puppy breath some fire... i've seen some tests where nothing more than a camshaft swap opened up some BIG doors on that motor... this is not a 4.030 x 3.75 motor... but rather GM kept the 4 inch bore and went 3.80 stroke...

buy it... toss in an affordable melling HV/HP pump, ARP Driveshaft, pan with a GOOD windage tray, brass freeze plugs and put in the bumpstick of your choice.. break it in on a dyno if you so prefer to get the timing and carburetion close and you'll at least know what you have for power so you can plan to prop accordingly...

650 sea demon would work pretty well on top of her and provide penlty of tunability... otherwise an edelbrock Carter AFB would be a decent choice... but heck if you can get it in spread bore just use a quadrajet... a stock thunderbolt IV ignition with a 350 mag ignition module... if you want to keep it reasonable.. or upgrade to a mallory unilite for a bit more.. otherwise you can spend the 700 or so bucks and toss an MSD or crane system in it..

If you go to an aftermarket roller such as a Comp xtreme marine you'll need to remove the cylinder heads and cut the spring pockets and valve guides.. and install screw in studs...

for a 4 bolt motor with a steel crank, pm rods and hypereutectics and vortecs that price is pretty danged good... you'll need an appropriate flywheel and starter though...

i just sold a good solid camshaft for this application...

JR

BUIZILLA
12-27-2004, 08:05 AM
A friend of mine just bought a pair of these for a boat and all he did was change the cam to the LT4 Hot Cam from GM I believe, not going to swear to it, but I think thats what he said. I think he ended up with about 380hp using his original intake and Qjet setup. He had to increase the primary jets 2 or 3 sizes and that was it.

JH

MOP
12-27-2004, 08:16 AM
All of the above leads back to my point, build that 010 block up for cheaper and come out better. Why get one that for sure you will want to bump up no advantage to that, plus would'nt you rather have an engine that a friend massaged for you.

Phil

Rootsy
12-27-2004, 09:12 AM
honestly... by the time you factor in someone's labor to assemble a motor.. and i am not talking, slap it together and spin it, we fit and measure things to insure they are correct and it ain't ever comin apart... you are about 2 1/2 G ahead just buying the HT383 and doing a valvetrain upgrade...

yes i could put that motor together with good parts for that cost BUT that is ZERO labor... you add labor and things begin to get a bit more out there...

crate motor is still a better way to go IMHO for these power numbers.. if we were talking bout something that was more potent then hand assembly of pick and choose components would make more sense...

JR