PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in DisneyWorld

gcarter
12-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Went out to dinner at Disney World last night wit some friends. We had tried for the California Grill @ the Contemporary Hotel but it was completely booked. So we ended up at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner and made a tour of some of the other Disney Hotels afterwards to enjor some of the decorations.
When some of you make your pilgramages down here, it is always entertaining to tour the hotels, even if it's not some "season" because they're so well done and beautiful.
Starting with the Animal kingdom Lodge.

gcarter
12-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Next we went to the Wilderness Lodge. I couldn't get a good shot of the 70' tree, but here are a few shots of the interior, including the bar. Please note the painted ceiling and the bears. Next the fireplace in the seven storey high lobby. The next shot is from the artists pointe Restaurant. This is a fun place to visit.

gcarter
12-24-2004, 08:38 AM
Last we went to the Grand Floridian Hotel, a style reminiscent of Victorian grand hotels and Flaglers best attempts around the turn of the 20th century.
Pleas note the skylights in the lobby, the tree, and particularly the entranceway and the gingerbread house. This GB house is built on a wood framework and there is a lady inside selling trinkets. Also note the house ingredients.
:wavey:

gold-n-rod
12-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Oh, God, George, did you ever stir up some unpleasant memories. About 12 years ago, my sister and BIL were living in G-ville and we drove down from Michigan to stay with them. One of us (not me) got the brilliant idea that we should go the the Magic Kingdom on Xmas day, thinking everyone else would be home with their families. WRONG! :kaioken:

After waiting in a line at the gate for 2 hours, we were turned away..... park full! So, we went over to Epcot, entered there, and rode the shuttle train over to MC.

The place was shoulder to shoulder people. Every ride was 1-2 hours of waiting. The Brazilians in particular were as rude and pushy as they could be (it was their summer vacation, we later learned).

It was horrible. Never again. :bonk:

:uzi: Disney World Magic Kingdom

gcarter
12-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Yep Randy, don't go there at christmas!!!
We just kind of skirt the edges, enjoy the festivities. :yes:

Brad Lyon
12-24-2004, 03:31 PM
George, do you live close by WDW? I have the pleasure :kaioken: of going to WDW if February. Maybe we could have dinner together or something.

Brad

gcarter
12-24-2004, 04:29 PM
C'mon Brad. Dinner would be great. Maybe we could have part of a day to go boating. There are some more SEADOGS in the Disney area.
Yes, I live just over one hour North of WDW. Until I bought the Minx in January of this year, we always had annual passes. We have let them expire for the time being, but we maintain our Disney Dining Experience card which gives us a 20% discount at 65 different restaurants. We can also give excellent advice of what to do and not do, etc. Also I really recommend staying on the property. They have hotels for every price range.
February is a great time to go. Crouds and hotel rates are low.
Also maintain a good attitude, it really is a great experience.

Brad Lyon
12-26-2004, 08:47 PM
George, I got your message with your contact numbers. We will be going down on February 11, 2005 and returning on February 20, 2005. We will be camping on Disney grounds. We are purchasing a pass that will allow us to go anywhere (restaurants, bars, Magic Kingdom, Epcot etc.} within Disney I guess. I will contact you when it gets closer to the time we leave to maybe arrange something.

Brad