PDA

View Full Version : WHich side is better?

Last Tango
12-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Okay, let's say for argument sake (what else do we have at this time of year?), that I wanted a brand new Classic 18 with the steering wheel in the left side instead of the right side...
I'm thinking that to offset the torque vs weight distribution thing, one would use a drive (and yes, a prop) that turns in the opposite direction.
I'm also thinking it would be cool to have some sort of console arrangement between the front seats for the Zero Effort control sticks, to maintain the right hand throttle. That same console could also house the engine start controls and maybe a couple gauges like the volt meter and fuel gauge.
And dredging up a week-old thread... If I use an American Turbine Jet drive, is the engine torque thing still a factor when it comes to on which side of the boat the steering wheel is located?

marcdups
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Mark, great idea, how about center steering with anything you wish for on each side, hot foot, and two bucket seats for passengers behind and besides you, a 300 merc promax with an 18" set back on a hydraulic jack plate :rolleyes: :wink: :eek:

gcarter
12-23-2004, 10:40 AM
I like the center steer idea. There have been several sports cars that use that layout, pretty successfully.

Last Tango
12-23-2004, 11:02 AM
I always liked the Chrysler-Simca Bagheera and the Matra Murena. Particularly the latter. Center driving position with buckets on either side for your two women (now THAT is an extravagance :eek!: ). I tried to actually buy a Murena when I was in Italy, but it was too hard to bring it back. Plus I don't have a local Matra dealer (nor does anybody else in North America).

gold-n-rod
12-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Assuming that one had the money to pay for it, would Donzi build one with port steering? I'd assume that the controls would have to be a custom fab job.

Last Tango
12-23-2004, 12:13 PM
The controls themselves would be no problem (Livorsi or Gaffrig or Mercury Marine all have what it takes). A simple (or complex - your choice) floor console to mount them would be necessary. Remember that the Zero Effort controls do not have a cable hook-up. Even if cable were used, it would be a very easy thing to route them through the center via the floor locker. By moving a couple of the less essential monitoring gauges to a console, one could free up enough dash space for trim tab indicators (tape style) to within the drivers view.
I actually think it would be good to eliminate the dash instrument panel entirely, putting the main monitoring gauges in a side-by-side arrangement in a pod above the steering wheel where you can actually SEE them without taking your eyes completely off the water ahead. The electrical switches on the dash panel could be mounted on the floor console.
Speedo, Tach, oil pressure, water temperature, drive trim And some cool seats either side of the console.
Where the dash panel used to be, you mount the VHF controls and the stereo and a GPS monitor. And maybe a SmartCraft monitor.

Last Tango
12-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I think I'm having some sort of relapse from the SEMA show.

boxy
12-23-2004, 12:17 PM
I think I'm having some sort of relapse from the SEMA show.
I don't know if I'd call it a relapse, it seems more like a flashback....... :D :D

Rootsy
12-23-2004, 04:07 PM
i think it'd be a cool idea.. why not just spin a bravo left hand? it's as simple as swapping the cable mounting position and putting a LH prop on?

maybe i missed something in the thread though... maybe i should read slower just to make sure... :beer:

JR

mattyboy
12-23-2004, 07:56 PM
left has been said to be faster

BERTRAM BOY
12-23-2004, 09:25 PM
There goes Matty, smoking crack again......

nguber57
12-23-2004, 09:59 PM
on my old 18 with the volvo i tried left and right props mazco re3 merc choppers and a dunlap steering isnt fun. have to change to duel cable nfb or hyd. the small console in the center for gear and throttle sounds like a winner im not real good with my left hand.i did change to a hot foot i like it alot

gcarter
12-23-2004, 11:21 PM
It seems to me all you you would need to do is add longer steering and control cables, i.e., just have them cross over to the left side behind the dash.

:wavey:

mattyboy
12-24-2004, 09:14 PM
There goes Matty, smoking crack again......

I don't remember much from last night but i don't think crack was involved ;) I know guiness and jameson's possibly even SoCo

yeller
12-25-2004, 12:42 PM
And dredging up a week-old thread... If I use an American Turbine Jet drive, is the engine torque thing still a factor when it comes to on which side of the boat the steering wheel is located?There is no torque problems with a jet. With a jet, you don't even need a re-enforced transom. If building a new boat, eliminate the (transom) plywood and save some weight.

BUIZILLA
12-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Mark a LH throttle is not a big deal to get used to, keep it simpleyour car is LH steer right??

JH :spongebob

mattyboy
12-26-2004, 08:24 AM
Several riggers here have commented that Lh is faster..

hey Cliff see MP's smoking from the same crack pipe ;) :) :tongue: :party:

Last Tango
12-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Left hand steering in the car is exactly why I would like to switch it to the same in the boat. But I like shifting with my right hand. There is no reason to have any major changes to the hardware for the steering since it can be mounted on the left or right. The shifting and throttle appeal to me on the central floor console the same way it appeals to me in cars. I am also thinking of entirely different front seats. Something a lot more sporty looking. And easier on the lower back in rough water.
I'll let this all germinate in my head for a while before I act. I really like the responses I have received so far. Thanks, gang!