PDA

View Full Version : Merc to volvo engine swap

sizeplay
12-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi guys, I am hoping to tap into the knowledge base here. I currently have an '85 merc 260 mated to an alpha ss drive. The merc is very tired and in need of a rebuild and I have an opportunity to repower with a low hour volvo 5.7 gxi. Aside from the wiring harness, coupler and bell housing are there any other obstacles in the way of doing this swap? Will I need to change the merc motor mounts or will they work with the volvo. Also can I route the alpha ss water supply to the water pump on the volvo engine? Thanks for any help.

Jim

Rootsy
12-21-2004, 09:56 AM
motor mounts will be fine... just put the mercs on the volvo engine.. both are a GM block. the coupler is mounted to the crank studs on the 260... it is a 2 piece rear main block.. when GM went to a 1 piece rear main (post 1987 donne when merc actually changed) they changed the end of the crank. the flywheel now bolts to the crank vs sliding over studs... therefore the 1 piece rear main engines use a different coupler that bolts to the flywheel itself such as a pressure plate would bolt to a flywheel. If the Volvo engine is newer it is a 1 piece for sure... you are gonna have to verify all of this... you'll also need to look at the starter since the 2 piece and 1 piece engines use a different diameter flywheel with a different number of teeth... the merc bellhousing should work though.

unless someone has changed things in the drive, the SS has an internal water pump to provide water to the engine. You don't need another externally mounted pump to draw water to the engine... not talking about the circulating pump on the engine (above the crankshaft).. just the supply pump...

J

sizeplay
12-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks J,

The volvo in question is a the newer style one piece. The engine is complete. So I assume it has it's own starter?

So If I read your post correctly, I can use the merc bell housing and merc motor mounts, but I will need the newer style coupler and the new wiring harness.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response! Thank you so very much.

Happy holidays to all! :)

Jim

Jamesbon
12-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Let me know if you need a hand. I'm in Redington Shores, where are you?

sizeplay
12-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Let me know if you need a hand. I'm in Redington Shores, where are you?Thanks a ton Nathan. I really appreciate the offer. The boat is currently up in Clearwater. My dad's auto mechanic has a forklift and should be pulling the motor for me this week. first it was nice that they have a forklift to do the lifting and secondly It allows me to freshen up the bilge before installing the new motor.

I have not decided yet if I will have him install the new motor. My biggest concern is aligning the engine to the drive properly. I doubt he has a drive alignment tool. It would be nice to find one I could borrow.

I live on maximo canal..very close to Bayway Marine.

Jim

sizeplay@tampabay.rr.com