PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with this? (motor question)

Lenny
12-20-2004, 07:06 PM
I just got back from putting in a kitchen in Vancouver, and well, the fella gave me a 1974 350 LT1 (Camaro) short block engine as a "tip", that he was going to put into his '67 pick-up, ( for the last 15 years now,but had finally changed his mind)

It is a four bolt, (I can see that) and has never been bored or ground and has the steel rods and crank. No top end or pan and pumps/pulley etc.

Is it worth having someone tear it down, and bore and stroke this thing and make a tiddly little spare engine?

Or just sell it, or give it away as he did ?

Rootsy
12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
ahhh hell it ain't worth nothing.. put it in a crate and send it over here... i'll take it off your hands... ;)

J

BUIZILLA
12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
U sure it's not an L82 or L69 ??

Rootsy
12-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Lenny,

on the bellhousing flange of block... at the rear of the deck on the starboard side of the motor there will be a number... what is it?

J

motorcity
12-21-2004, 07:06 AM
They didn't make LT-1's in 74. If the last three numbers on the block are 010 its a hi nickel content block, which are a desireable blocks. most Likely an L-82 or L-48

Lenny
12-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Yep, #3970010... :(

Nothing special I don't believe other than the 4 bolt deal ??? :confused:

MOP
12-21-2004, 05:01 PM
That basicly the same block my stroker is built on, they sell bare in good shape for about $500 around here and are getting scarce.

Phil

Rootsy
12-22-2004, 03:14 PM
or you can buy a brand spankin new 4 bolt, 1 piece rear main, roller cam block. pretty much fully machined.. straight from your GM dealer for under 700 bucks...

JR

MOP
12-22-2004, 04:44 PM
or you can buy a brand spankin new 4 bolt, 1 piece rear main, roller cam block. pretty much fully machined.. straight from your GM dealer for under 700 bucks...

JR

Not the same quality or engine builders would not be hunting them like they do, my builder will not build a blown SB on anything other than a 010 block he buys everyone he can get his hands on. Like "motorcity" said hi nickel content block, which are a desireable blocks.

Rootsy
12-22-2004, 07:40 PM
Not the same quality or engine builders would not be hunting them like they do, my builder will not build a blown SB on anything other than a 010 block he buys everyone he can get his hands on. Like "motorcity" said hi nickel content block, which are a desireable blocks.

didn't say they were not "Good" blocks phil and i'd have no issue using one for a naturally aspirated engine... BUT i wouldn't build a blown mouse with a new or a used STOCK GM block... if i am spending that kinda coin and putting out serious ponies i'm gonna pop for a Dart little M, GM Bowtie or a World Products Motown block...

i wouldn't be the least bit concerned about using a new block from gm for a naturally aspirated engine in 350 or 383 trim... least that's how i put em together and i've NEVER had one come apart... :smile:

and i was kidding when i told lenny it isn't worht crap and send it over here.. i was just kidding... :banghead:

JR

Lenny
12-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Don't bang your head too hard James. :D

I just might "ship" it to you to play with. It needs to be the "baby Blue that my hull is" is about the only criteria, and I want 350-375 Dyno/water braked HP out of it. That's it. Carb, Performer Manifold, Dart heads, and whatever cam, and a GREAT lower in it. All new hardware from top to bottom.

Still sitting in the back of my truck (covered). I haven't managed to talk myself into lifting it, (this time out) solo again yet. :idea: :beer: :spit: http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/pretzel.gif http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/puke.gif

MOP
12-22-2004, 09:49 PM
I was thinking Lenny could make a nice 383 out of it, Get a crank, pistons, a set of your PA heads, a meatier cam then the one I have. He can make some nice HP for not to many $$!

Phil

Lenny
12-22-2004, 11:07 PM
ahhhhh, ... Yea. That's the blue. That blue would be called what? and from where?

Following wayyyyyy behind in Poodles' footsteps, Lenny :(

I remember that pic now. About 2 years ago I believe.

Rootsy
12-23-2004, 06:19 AM
yes sir Phil, if that block is solid it'd be a good foundation :)

I think i can make time in my schedule for ya Lenny, it's a rather long winter here and i can make it ANY color you want... :wink:

fire me some photos of that piece if you get a chance... but don't give yourself a hernia... it only weights about 175 lbs...

JR