PDA

View Full Version : Nose Cones??

marcdups
12-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Has anyone done their own nose cone installation, I do not need low water pick up as the X dim is still the same, but wondering if the nose angle and such have to be taken into account or should I just send it to Bob's machine shop in FL?

Sam
12-20-2004, 06:44 PM
Talk to Scott Boldts, he had one on his 22.

Sam

Woodsy
12-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Send it to Bob's.... they have a few trick up thier sleeve that they do for thier installations....

also, make sure you got a fast boat... below 72-75 ish they allegedely hurt speed....

Woodsy Von Outboard

Cuda
12-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Send it to Bob's.... they have a few trick up thier sleeve that they do for thier installations....

also, make sure you got a fast boat... below 72-75 ish they allegedely hurt speed....

Woodsy Von Outboard

I've heard the same thing. I've got one on my 20 Formula.

boldts
12-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Not going to argue the speed thing, just post my results. With-out cone, 68.7 Bravo1 behind stock 454 MAG with 1.36 gears in the drive. Running a 22" Turbo1 prop.

With Hydromotive nose cone - 69.8 Everything still the same as above.

Was hoping for 70, but oh well. Needed some more HP in front of that Bravo gear ratio.

Do some research guys. Bob's is a pointed nose cone which I read tends to make the transom dive or be pulled down as the drive is trimmed out. This I believe is some of the reason for a loss in speed. The Hydromotive is a wedge type nose cone which even when trimmed, does not cause the pulling in the direction it is pointed. It is designed to bring less disturbed water into the prop, thus making your prop more efficent.

Now, maybe all this is BS and the reason I gained the mph was because with the cone I could run more trim and still keep clean water coming to the prop. I don't know. It sure was killer though running WOT and throwing a rooster tail out the back at the Cincinatti Offshore race. :D

Woodsy, no disrepect intended to you or anyone else here. Just stating my results. At the time, I was looking for more speed for the least amount of money spent. On my setup, it worked.

marcdups
12-21-2004, 05:26 PM
Mr Bolts, can you ship the lower to hydromotive or is it self installation, just wondering if I can find a competent alloy welder that will not FRY the seals while welding before the epoxy, speed wise I am not certain as I was having too much fun b4 the break down, but seen around 67/68 on speedo, prop is being shipped to DAH pro pellers in winsconsin with a three week turn around but I trust their work, will try and post pic of b4 and after prop work for you guys to see, and I know it will run better, they make magic out of sst props with a gurantee , told me they could add 3 mph out of a mirage 23, and if it ain't right they will do it again, so my thoughts is 70 mph + nose cone on an alpha gen II, I should be set, not to mention the new vortec heads, winter id definately here with win chill of 7 deg F yesterday so I am looking for things to do!!

boldts
12-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Marcdups,

Please, no Mr. Scott is just fine. LOL I had the Hydro nose cone on my Bravo1 installed professionally. Main reason being that the most important thing about installing one is that it is put on straight. I tried installing one before myself on a different boat and while I think I had it right, I didn't want to chance it with my 22 Classic. I'm not sure, but I also don't think there is welding involved in putting a cone on. At least the one I did was not welded or said anything about it in the instructions. Again, personally, I'd let someone familiar with doing the job do the addition.

Props - yep thats a whole nother can of worms. I think your doing the right thing by working with someone you trust. I had a good friend from GA recommend the Precission Propeller's Turbo1 prop for my 22. My Classic went from 65 something on gps to the 68.7 simply by pulling the Mirage 23" off and putting a Turbo1 on. Straight out of the box, no labbing or anything else. Again, for me, speed at a minimal amount of cash being spent. It may not be the best prop for all applications, but on my 22 Classic, it worked. I get e-mails every now and then asking about props. If they are running a 22 Classic with stock power. I've always recommended the Turbo1 to them. I can't remember anyone sending a note back being disappointed with the performance and handling there Donzi gained by running the prop.

marcdups
12-23-2004, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info, maybe I will have to get a Turbo I and compare :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Mr X
12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
Mark,
I would not let anyone weld on the gearcase without
totally disassembling it. You risk micro-welding the bearings
when you weld on it, the electricity runs all thru the internals.
You wont notice it for about 3-4 hours of use.........then wonder why the drive blew up......

marcdups
12-30-2004, 01:43 PM
check this out tho Ted !!

http://www.bobsmachine.com/

could not upload a link to their install but seems like they do not take it apart, and back in the day I used to send a ton to Bob's at customers request with no failures that I know about, just winter ideas

BigGrizzly
12-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Just some imput. There are two different typs of nose cones. the Hydromotive type which has a knife type entry, that does away with the trim angle issue (for the most part) and the STILLETO TYPE (like Bob's machine shop) which does have the trim angle issue. For those of you who haven't read the past bizzilion posts. This takes place when the drive is trimed up the point(nose) is aimed down and causes the stern to squat. This is one reason you loose speed on a low horse power boat. Mr Bolts had a hydromotive nose cone. I personally have both typs on my personal boats. the Corsican ( a mid 60,s boat) use a Hydromotive nose cone (which I installed) and the Criterion (a mid 80's) that has a Bobs machine shop nose cone. With the Corsican I have two lower units one stock and one noseconed. There is a speed difference but only about one to two MPH. The biggest difference is handling at higher speeds and low speed tracking (wandering). My personal opinion is that Hydromotive is a better choice. I have modified my Criterion,s cone to take some of the point away to eliminate the dive at trim. I feel it helped. Both my boats have a standard X dimention.

marcdups
12-31-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks for all the insight guys, will keep you posted on the winter little projects, have to install new plug wires today as I want to be boating tomorrow( 75 Deg ) as the #1 and #5 cyl were firing against the manifolds, then next step, who knows !!! :wrench: :beer: :wrench:

BTW: HAPPY NEW YEAR